City of Heroes writeups

Herolover

Re: City of Heroes writeups

I wrote up my Level 50 Blaster.

Over All I was not very happy as the curve in the game is so strong. A single level 50 guy can Ice with out issue 50 Level 40 guys. (Unless one of them is a tank.) Now if you tried to write them up based on concept it would work better as you would not have cases were one guy gets mauled by literaly hundreds of level 53 Mobs and just waits for them to die.

I played COH when it first came out and once and twice since. Still love the character graphics and sometimes I think it is worth it just to be able to draw your character.

I used the Clockwork men in one campaign and was just wondering if anyone had written up the villians.

It would be nice to figure out a conversion, how much is each level worth d6 wise.

Mike

I imagine since at first level you are lahable, a fair conversion would be every 2 levels equal +1 CV, +1D6 DC & +1 DEF, then you throw in all the enhancements making powers more powerful, & Pwers adding % bonuses, after a while they get up there. Like blasters being allowed 400% dame, Scrappers being allowed 500% damage and Tankers being allowed 200% damage. Each Archtype has a MAX% of each base level of effect. They also get "Base Bonuses" like a scrapper with no enhancement will do more damge than a tankeer with no enhancements. In the end it works out in a pretty simple way that would be complicated for me to explain. One thing City of Heroes does not have is Balace and Scale, the classes are not even and a street thug minnion from some zones could ice a level 20 character easy.

Some interesting facts.

My 6th level Blaster can run 100 yards in 10 seconds.

I can get 5 attacks off in 12 seconds, so lets assume SPD 5. So a lowlevel character with base sprint (my bonuses so far are into leaping) has a movement of +14" of running. Running in CoH has no difference in Combat or NCM.

It looks like hover is 1 or 2" of flight. :) 45 seconds to go 100 yards.

Swimming is the same speed as running, that is right, all characters start with 20" of swimming :nonp: .

Mike

I imagine since at first level you are lahable' date=' a fair conversion would be every 2 levels equal +1 CV, +1D6 DC & +1 DEF, then you throw in all the enhancements making powers more powerful, & Pwers adding % bonuses, after a while they get up there. Like blasters being allowed 400% dame, Scrappers being allowed 500% damage and Tankers being allowed 200% damage. Each Archtype has a MAX% of each base level of effect. They also get "Base Bonuses" like a scrapper with no enhancement will do more damge than a tankeer with no enhancements. In the end it works out in a pretty simple way that would be complicated for me to explain. One thing City of Heroes does not have is Balace and Scale, the classes are not even and a street thug minnion from some zones could ice a level 20 character easy.[/quote']

I'm thinking the starting base of 6d6, plus a 1/2d6 per level?

Mike

I'm thinking the starting base of 6d6, plus a 1/2d6 per level?

Mike

Good idea but I think the base should be alitle lower. It takes a non Blaster/Scrapper three hits to kill a minnion.

How about 4D6 Base?

The big problem I see is that some powers won't translate well into Hero. As early as lv6 (out of 50) you can get this power that teleports an enemy from 200 yards away to right next to you even without line of sight. (You have to see the enemy to target him, but the target sticks so you can run around the corner.) A quick Champions conversion would make it:

Teleport 100" (200 yards), Useable Against Others, Ranged, Full Indirect, 0END, Only to pull foe to withing 5" of your location (-1), Full Phase 750 Active, 300 Real. (I made it 0END because in the game it does cost way less than 75% of your END)

It's a cool power and one I love using, but it would exceed even Galactic Champions limits.

On the other hand at a higher level you can get a defensive power that I'd put at 30 points or less. When converting the City of Heroes game to the Hero game system, there will be problems because of the nature of each game system. CoH is more action, Hero is more stradgic and detail oriented.

Being a CoH player myself... I agree that it should be "by concept", and not system-oriented. That, you can grab from the RPG book they're doing down the road. (J and I discussed this earlier with HERO; I have to agree that the lead designer guy would charge far too much from Long & Co. to do it.)

But I can help with what I can cover regarding power frameworks of Paragon's Finest--Statesman, Manticore, Citadel, Positron, Synapse, Valkrie, Lumina (I think,) Sister Psyche, Aurora... I think those are it, but there are more out there, such as Malaise, Sirroco, Lord Recluse, the Praetorians... you get the idea. Ping me with what you want to know, and I'll give out some ideas based on what I know, along with any screenshots you need.

Further Note: I can't help out with Statesman and Recluse, though--they are Incarnates, an archtype they have yet to release. But I suspect they have Superman-type abilities...

Further Note: I can't help out with Statesman and Recluse, though--they are Incarnates, an archtype they have yet to release. But I suspect they have Superman-type abilities...

One of the best ways for figuring out their abilities would be the 40-50 mission arcs where you fight the evil counterparts. Tyrant is pretty supermanish. Though it's been about a month since I last fought him. Must take notes...

Well, I'm only at 27th level, so I can't do any real research that way. ;) But we'll find out later on.

What I suggest is, as I've said before, work with concept. We can always re-evaluate them if they do something canonical that runs counter to our results.

For the Praetorians, they're basically evil dupes of our greater Paragons (save the Woodsman--he died in the past, and can't really go outside of Eden's area, being a ghost now.)

Hrmm... should we do one of Talos, even though it's not necessary? There were a hint or two about him not being truly gone, and anyone interested might want some ideas...

I think you guys got the new issue #1 of the Phalanx saga, so there's some better ground-level thoughts about the Freedom Phalanx. Manticore and Sister Psyche are, to me, at human normal characteristics--only Sister has actual superpowers while Manticore is a gadget-based character on the level of Batman. (Back Alley Brawler is probably the same general range, as a highly-trained martial artist--but I'll have to dig a little further on him to be sure.)

(Back Alley Brawler is probably the same general range' date=' as a highly-trained martial artist--but I'll have to dig a little further on him to be sure.)[/quote']

B.A. Brawler is shown in the opening sequence of COH to be throwing chuncks of concrete about 3 foot square. So I would say he's a low str brick with MAs