Little Anthony & The Imperials

Citizen Keen

Set to the tune of "Shimmy Shimmy Ko Ko Bop"

*ahem*

Gimme Gimme Siembeda

Gimme Gimme RIFTS

Gimme Gimme Siembeda

Gimme Gimme RIFTS

I am a po' man, but I have been dying to do a full HERO conversion of RIFTS. I hope to have money in three or four months, and I figure doing the main book will take me that long. So I'ma gonna beg. If anyone has a copy of RIFTS they would be willing to mail to me, I would owe them forever. And then, once I start pounding away, I will threaten arooo with Glitter Boyz until he puts HERO Rifts up on starherofandom.com, for all your viewing pleasure. Yay!

Please?

Re: Little Anthony & The Imperials

I really hate to rain on your parade, but I strongly suggest you read this URL before starting this project...

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/policies.html

unfortunately there are a couple of good reasons you dont see Rifts or other conversions online. its also one of the reasons I dont play anything Palladium

Umm... That policy only bans derivative works made for commerical or financial gain. Anything posted online for "personal use," they are happy to have. Since StarHeroFandom doesn't cost money to use, a HERO/RIFTS conversion would be wholely allowed.

You don't see much RIFTS stuff online because it's a horrible system. ;-)

The no conversions page does more accurately address the issue. I'm curious about the legality of the issue. My impression is that the law is not on Kevin (Siembeda's) side. Posting conversions of RPGs online is a tried and true practice. Home campaigns, etc. As long as I say "RIFTS © 2005 Palladium Games," and I don't repeat any details from the books (I don't describe what a Glitter Boy is, etc., I just provide a statted HERO idea), I think I'm in the clear. I'm going to hit up a lawyer friend or two and see. If we could get some "blue text" - DoJ representative posting - I'd also appreciate it.

If it all goes against me, I'll just clearly and regularly advertise (on the boards, and on starherofandom.com if arooo allows) the existence of a "personal" conversion, and send it to any and all "friends" who ask for it, along with updates.

Rifts - From my [Compilation] "to Star Hero Comnversions & Adaptations" Thread

http://herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4648

Yeah, I have a firm idea in my head of how to handle the mechanics. I want to provide a "ready-out-of-the-box" conversion for any and all "friends" who want it.

Good luck' date=' I think it is a great project. Wish I could help out with your original request, but those books are not only buried, they are also guarded by some pretty big spiders up in the old attic.[/quote']

Thanks anyway. Hopefully I'll luck out on the HERO boards, otherwise I'm going to have to start peddling heroin to small children. ;-)

Thanks anyway. Hopefully I'll luck out on the HERO boards' date=' otherwise I'm going to have to start peddling heroin to small children. ;-)[/quote']

Nah, man. Peddling heroin to children is wrong. They'll buy meth in pixy stix straws, tho. :eg:

Dude, Palladium have a bad rep for going in hard on people doing anything with their system. While the conversion may be a good idea you're probably setting yourself up for a load of problems if they notice you. (And if you believe the stories they probably have regular looks at these boards to look for people trying).

Shhhh

Nothing to see here, move along. I doubt they can do much to someone who is "contemplating" a thought such as his. Now that he has been warned I'll just sit back and hope that I am on his "friends" list.

I think they crush on conversions and things because they were sued. I think at a certain point they would allow things to be posted, but then they put in the no conversion policy on their own board. Now you cant take say Foxbat and load up your own version with their rules, especially not on their own turf.

I could be wrong but it could just be a reaction from that. I know freelancers were asked not to help people fix ideas for submission to the Rifter for that reason.

YMMV on what the real reason is.

CES

I'd just like to interject that Jeff Dee is a dude.

I asked if there was a problem with my planned V&V conversions if I only did stats, no BG, no pics. He said "I can't say yes to all of them, I don't own them all. But I can't see anyone getting bent over it. Just please post the following links so people can get the source material and it should all be good." And of course, if anyone did object, I'd yank the material. But I think Jeff realizes something. A sale or two of their PDF's might occur from this. And he realizes that a lot of us spent our hard earned allowances as kids to buy his way cool game and we still have a deep fondness for the characters even when the game is basically dead.

And that's why Jeff Dee is a dude.

Actually there is a section on conversions and a link as to why...

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/conversions.html

Great setting, but I'm with Shadowcat when it comes to buying any of their items.

EDIT - I obviously type too slow

I used to not buy their stuff because the mechanics sucked. Now, I have a new reason and it has nothing to do with their policies...

It's the f(bleep) style sheet they use. I mean come on, its white letters on a black background. Just leave the damn page in plain black text on white background!!!!

Ok...rant over.