Which book should I get?

Guzalot

I'm looking to get a new Champions book and I've narrowed it down to these 3:

Villainy Amok

Champions Battlegrounds

Sharper Than A Serpents Tooth

Obviously I'm looking for adventures & plot hooks to help me along. I know that Villainy Amok isn't an adventure book per se but it looks interesting. Any insights?

Re: Which book should I get?

I can't comment on the other 2, but Josh and I picked up Villainy Amok a couple of weeks ago, and he's been very enthusiastic about how helpful it's been. Apparently he'll be running scenarios straight out of that book whenever he lacks the time to prepare his usual plot stuff. Filler, basically.

He said something about writing a review, but it'll be a while. First we have to dig ourselves out from moving.

Depends on what you're looking for.

Villany Amok is primarly geared toward improving an existing campaign, with senarios and sideplots to keep you on your toes.

Battlegrounds and Serpent's Tooth are plot-line material. I don't have Serpent's tooth, but it's VIPER material. Battlegrounds is a series of senarios that you can do right off--only two as far as I can see are connected to each other directly, while the rest can be played "as is" if you don't want to use the baddie at the end. (J did the "Shopping Maul" scenario, which I particularlly like the best for its excellent groundswork--very useful for other plots if you wanted to.)

I'm looking to get a new Champions book and I've narrowed it down to these 3:

Villainy Amok

Champions Battlegrounds

Sharper Than A Serpents Tooth

Obviously I'm looking for adventures & plot hooks to help me along. I know that Villainy Amok isn't an adventure book per se but it looks interesting. Any insights?

All are good, but you just can't deny the WEALTH of information in Villany Amok. That'd be my first choice...followed by Champions Battlegrounds.

rob

I guess some background is in order. It's an established campaign that has been running for about a year now. Most of the adventures have been simple "one offs" that lasted one or two game sessions while the events of (4th ed adventure) Shadows of the City were the major plot arc. There have been some recurring encounters with Foxbat, GRAB, VIPER, The Ultimates and Mechassassin. Now I'm looking to "shift into high gear" so to speak now that my players are in the 400pt power range with established personalities and a game history.

If Villany Amok doesn't strike you, then take Battlegrounds if just for the one senario that sounds just right for super supers. (I'll just say 'Holocaust' so everyone who has it know what I'm talking about.) You can even weave it in with the module following that one if you wanted--it'd be neat to see how they can handle the 'special' bits in that one... :sneaky:

If I might suggest something that's not on your list' date=' if you're not adverse to PDFs, consider picking up Shades of Black. It's a damn fine module.[/quote']

Agreed. You might/probably will need to change some of the personalities around, since it was geared towards the Champions, but that'll be the work of a moment. I completely recommend it.

Flick through both Villany Amok and Battlegrounds. Battlegrounds can have a full arc for all its storylines culminating in going after the person behind it all.

Villany though can give you some ideas to develop now and more to pick up from the merest thread.

Sharper than a Serpent's Tooth is really for you if you have Cobra or a major snake related villain.

If I might suggest something that's not on your list' date=' if you're not adverse to PDFs, consider picking up Shades of Black. It's a damn fine module.[/quote']

Stupid question time:

1) CanI run it with Microsoft Word?

2) If I just order the file instead of the CD-ROM, then does it get sent straight to my e-mail as an attachment? And if so, then I can just rint it out right there?

Dumb questions, yes, but I'd like to know what I can expect before I order. I'd be bugged to realize that I just got the thing and couldn't even get it to open.

Stupid question time:

1) CanI run it with Microsoft Word?

2) If I just order the file instead of the CD-ROM, then does it get sent straight to my e-mail as an attachment? And if so, then I can just rint it out right there?

Dumb questions, yes, but I'd like to know what I can expect before I order. I'd be bugged to realize that I just got the thing and couldn't even get it to open.

As to 1 you need Acrobat reader to see it.

As to 2, you go onto the site download to your PC and open it. If you are a Digital Hero subscriber then it works in a similar way to that.

Just to add to what Death Tribble said, once you pay your receipt screen will have a link where you can do a "right-click save-as" function to download the module directly to your computer. You can get the pdf reader directly from http://www.adobe.com for free, assuming your computer doesn't already have it installed. Many come with it pre-installed now.