Bored with Champions Organizations

Agent X

Genocide survives in one form in my campaigns. It all goes back when I first started GMing Champions and half the PCs had Genocide as a hunted. And whenever a Minuteman would take a bunch of damage, it would lose a part. For some unknown reason, I always rolled "Left Arm". After awhile, I didn't bother rolling. This was found to be a problem with all robots.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by lemming

Instead of Primus, I have an alternative SWORD (stolen from Sam Bell) which is a rather sever organization. Their logo is similar to the Mirror Universe Federation Symbol. (A sword through the Earth).

Special Weapons Ordance Research and Development.

A little silly, since it had all these ex-Nazi scientists involved. "Bring out the women & children dummies for weapon testing!"

I'm doing a bit different theme on it right now, but I'll wait until my players find out before posting what's going on. (Let's just say I've read too much Illuminati and Lovecraft. Probably played too much Paranoia as well):rolleyes:

Umm, sever organization. That sounds extreme.:D

Originally posted by Shiva13

I worked up my own version. Even have a new name for it. It evolved into true distinctiveness over the years. I combined it with another organization that gave it some more solidity and made it a true worldwide threat. And I feel really good about it.

The original Genocide I always felt was a template to build from. Something with unrealized potential. Potential I consider sorely wasted by The Mutant File and the Rob Liefeld of Hero Authors.

But Steve Long's IHA I think is a great development on the groundwork laid in the original appearances of Genocide in Enemies and AC #2. A very well considered and defined realization of that potential.

All I liked was the Minuteman.

Originally posted by Agent X

All I liked was the Minuteman.

Yeah, but they were SUCH a Sentinels ripoff that my comics savvy player would just roll their eyes. So I took the idea of a Sentinel that could put on a trenchcoat and hat and difappear in a croud and sort of fused the Genocide angle with the Hellfire Club, creating human sized Minutemen.

Originally posted by MisterVimes

Yeah, but they were SUCH a Sentinels ripoff that my comics savvy player would just roll their eyes. So I took the idea of a Sentinel that could put on a trenchcoat and hat and difappear in a croud and sort of fused the Genocide angle with the Hellfire Club, creating human sized Minutemen.

I never once said the players like the Minuteman. :D

Further off-topic, I was just thinking of you... You said you were running two games, one HERO and one M&M; Have you guys locked down a D20 to HERO conversion that would save us all time when it comes to converting D20 critters to Fantasy HERO?

No. I just eyeball it. Both Cyberblade and Bryan Fury were done in Hero before we translated them to MM. I have not gone the other way. And if I did, I would just eyeball it again. Especially for d20 fantasy to fantasy hero. I have a lot of experience running FH, so I feel confident on how to set critters to challenge, but not overwhelm characters.

RDU neil is continuing the Champions end. I'm running the MM end. I'm not running both games.

Originally posted by Storn

No. I just eyeball it. Both Cyberblade and Bryan Fury were done in Hero before we translated them to MM. I have not gone the other way. And if I did, I would just eyeball it again. Especially for d20 fantasy to fantasy hero. I have a lot of experience running FH, so I feel confident on how to set critters to challenge, but not overwhelm characters.

RDU neil is continuing the Champions end. I'm running the MM end. I'm not running both games.

Gotcha, thanks for the input and I apologize for derailing the thread.

Back on Topic, some of the nicer Agency ideas I've seen:

Knights of Malta: Very much like the Buffy Knights of Byzantium these misguided enemies of Evil target Mages as 'Spawn of the Devil'

CHESS: A, surprise, surprise, Chess themed group lead by a foursome (BK, WK, BQ, WQ) and served by Knights (Combat agents), Bishops (Asassins), Rooks (Intel Agents) and Pawns (Field agents)

Nice

Originally posted by Superskrull

Then there are a few plans I had for reworking DEMON into more of a Tarot-based group. Seems like I'd find more use for that one though by working it over and feeding it to Agent X as partial background for my PC in his PBEM/summer extravaganza.

Interesting concept, I've been tinkering with a TAROT themed organization myself.

I always liked the Checkmate organization over in the DC Universe. Highly trained and extremely well-equipped agents who could do some pretty funky stuff. Also chess themed.

Also loved the Suicide Squad concept. That's one I'd like to use as a tournament concept...

"Okay, you're playing Pulsar, he's Ogre, and he's Chesire Cat. You're mission, and you WILL accept it, is to ..."

Originally posted by ogier300

I always liked the Checkmate organization over in the DC Universe. Highly trained and extremely well-equipped agents who could do some pretty funky stuff. Also chess themed.

Also loved the Suicide Squad concept. That's one I'd like to use as a tournament concept...

"Okay, you're playing Pulsar, he's Ogre, and he's Chesire Cat. You're mission, and you WILL accept it, is to ..."

That's such a great idea. That would be a great short-term storyline.. Ooooooooooooooh especially if the heroes are 'Away' dealing with the Secret Crisis!

Personally, I like just about all the Champs Organizations... yes, even SAT...

Basically, though, with the exception of Scott Bennie's superlative VIPER book (kudos, mate!), most of them haven't been really heavily detailed (Don't have Super-Agents, so I don't know what that does for UNTIL).

Basically folks, if the organizations are dull, maybe you're running them wrong. Change them. Screw around with the stuff you hate, and keep the stuff you like.

None of this stuff is written in stone!

Basically, what the Champs Organizations provide is a framework, covering the basic archetypical superhero universe organizations. The rest, folks, is up to you!

Pol.

(SAT was in my Silver Age game. A hawkish and rabidly patriotic group, they were a sometime ally/sometime foil for my heroes - they did, of course, later become PRIMUS)

Re: Re: Re: Bored with Champions Organizations

Originally posted by Agent X

I made Viper work for me in the old days by subsuming it into COIL. I got rid of the Arthurian angle in COIL (What the?) and ran a plotline where Dr. Draconis was hired to refine the COIL gene. He, of course, started creating dinosaur men. The players did not appreciate facing creatures that had oodles of knockback resistance, damage reduction, and affect a hex melee attacks. I can't understand why? They only had 3s or 4s for Speed. :D

That is cool, been thinking of revamping the old King Cobra character and having him 'restart' the coil. I think he makes a very good 'mastermind' villian who's out to establish a rule via the scientific elite type.

I agree. Though I find Anti-Mutant storylines a bit tired, I think this one has a uniqueness and can also be adapted easily into a format where super-humans in general are the atrget (especially in campaigns where superhumanity is not a 'Mutation'.)

I did that with my ABD group (American For Basic Decency) They were a moral 'watchgroup' fashioned after the moral majority but with a covert side that trys to take out 'moraly corrupt or unholy supers'

ABD MEMBER: You, Missy! How dare you prance around in that obsense outfit!! Get home to your husband and PUT SOME CLOTHS ON!!! What, you don't have a husband to obey? Why you HARLOT!

(Where apon the ABD member got jumped by said heroies Fan club and had to be rescued by her.):P

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bored with Champions Organizations

Originally posted by Tamashii2000

That is cool, been thinking of revamping the old King Cobra character and having him 'restart' the coil. I think he makes a very good 'mastermind' villian who's out to establish a rule via the scientific elite type.

Yeah, but get rid of the King Arthur obsession and the Arthurian sorceress. BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD

Wow, twice in one day. Someone check the weather forcast for hell.

I concur with Agent X. Pseudoarthurian mysticism does not mix with scientifically mutated elite.

If you have to make a Naga character, give her some sort of reality altering power.

Magic just doesn't fit the style of the organization. It's kind of like having powered armor goons with blaster rifles for DEMON.

D

Originally posted by misterdeath

I concur with Agent X. Pseudoarthurian mysticism does not mix with scientifically mutated elite.

If you have to make a Naga character, give her some sort of reality altering power.

Magic just doesn't fit the style of the organization. It's kind of like having powered armor goons with blaster rifles for DEMON.

D

Yeah, mixing of archetypes, even in the superhero genre, has to be done with some care. Just because there are no rules to it doesn't mean there is no "Art" to it.

D

Magic? Ohh no no no, I am not going to have Kobra messing with Magic, going to keep em a pure science group. (when did they get into mysticism? Did i miss that somewhere?)

They did a big update of King Cobra in Champions Presents #2. it had King and Queen Cobra, and a bunch of other snake themed people. King Cobra's dementia has progressed, and he believes he's the reincarnation of King Arthur. He's even got Merlin's daughter as Naga, his pet witch.

Things to make you go Hmmmm.

D

They did a big update of King Cobra in Champions Presents #2. it had King and Queen Cobra, and a bunch of other snake themed people. King Cobra's dementia has progressed, and he believes he's the reincarnation of King Arthur. He's even got Merlin's daughter as Naga, his pet witch.

Things to make you go Hmmmm.

D

Things to make you scream in utter horror.

D

No, no. DEMON has Powered Armor flunkies with "electric nunchaku" and "Vibratory Eyeblasts". Blaster rifles, please.

Seriously, I use DEMON and PRIMUS quite extensivly in my world. I think the PRIMUS e-book is awesome. Granted, I find I have to tweak things to my tastes, but I have to do that with most things. I would like to see a 5th edition organizations book with more Champions Universe information, but if not i'll just make it up.

John Spencer

Originally posted by JohnOSpencer

No, no. DEMON has Powered Armor flunkies with "electric nunchaku" and "Vibratory Eyeblasts". Blaster rifles, please.

Seriously, I use DEMON and PRIMUS quite extensivly in my world. I think the PRIMUS e-book is awesome. Granted, I find I have to tweak things to my tastes, but I have to do that with most things. I would like to see a 5th edition organizations book with more Champions Universe information, but if not i'll just make it up.

John Spencer

Ultimate Organizations anyone?

Or maybe we can trot out Classic Organizations again.

Personally I'd like to see an Org book for each group (COIL, Viper, PRIMUS, Demon and UNTIL) that way we can get more bang for our buck and those who could car less about, say, UNTIL doesn't have a quarter of a book they can't use.