Is anyone running Galactic Champions?

Hermit

Re: Is anyone running Galactic Champions?

I'm not exactly sure most of the Legion of Superheroes were that powerful. Yes' date=' Superboy, Mon-El, and Ultraboy had some power but most of the DC Heroes write-ups had the Legion members in the 10-15 AP range [which basically converts to 10-15d6'].

Agreed. Most of the members had one main power then the rest are generally power stunts they wound up paying for.

I don't believe GC was trying to emulate the Legion. I think DOJ made a conscious choice to present a high-powered campaign for the players to enjoy and chose GC as the platform for that. DOJ justified this by saying magic is more powerful in the future, and so super-powers are more powerful as well. Fans wanted rules for high-powered games and so DOJ gave it to them in GC [in much the same way Teen Champions represents low-powered play].

One of the big turn offs to the meta-verse idea has just been that I need to own so many books to get the complete picture [and even after owning almost everything I still don't have the complete picture]. I'd much rather see books written in a way that makes them useful to multiple campaign worlds [WoE usable for TE, AW, and GC] then to see individual books that I probably will never buy. It seems to me that too many pieces are scattered across too many book. That's great for DOJ if you can get the fans to buy them all, but it doesn't appear as though they are.

I'd rather see $30.00 250 page books which can give me information I can use to play in several related genres then $25.00 160 page books which don't give me enough information to easily play in one genre. GC could be a great genre to play in. As it is right now though I need too many other books just to get basic information [like race templates] to play the game, and it just requires too much work on my part to get even a basic game started.

Again I agree. To me, one of the biggest problems with a meta-campaign is that you have to find some way to link them all. How do you justify going from high fantasy to low fantasy to historical to pulp to superhero to cyberpunk to future war to space opera, to finally galactic superhero? The waxing and waning of magic is good but it puts the kabosh on a campaign that has long-term game time plans. In Fantasy Hero, before the characters get old, Takoclees (I can't spell his name, the evil lich with the crown) takes over the world. In Champions, you have until the year 2020 to do what you want to do because then the magic that makes supers possible is gone. Talk about a lousy retirement plan!

On the other hand you have the appeal of linking every campaign together, it has the "cool" effect as well as an excuse for campaign crossovers (not that it's the only excuse). Your fighter in fantasy hero could bury his magic sword so his superhero could conveniently find it which in turn can be carried to a distant planet by a Terran Explorer then rediscovered by an alien swordsman. But the odds of anything like that happening appear to be less than the odds of someone feeling like they have to buy lots of books for a complete campaign picture. (I bought Valdorian Hero for that very reason.)

On a side note, is it me or does every future superhero team have some poor guy from our time?

Matter-Eater lad at 699 pts? Is there any way you can send me/post the character? I don't know much about that incarnation of LoS, but his main power in the next-to-current (I stopped when they reset everything ... AGAIN) his main power, eating anything, can be defined in less than 45 pts. Life support (does not eat with limitation of must eat something) and a 1 or 2 DC of HKA with 0END and NND Does Body (defense is energy force field).

How far does their equipment go towards the point totals? From what I've read, a few of them are cosmic level, but the rest are standard heroes, if that. A few may violate established campaign limits by the concept of their power (Triplicate has 2 duplicates which may have more active points than allowed).

Follow the link in my sig to my website; the link to the write-ups is there.

The M-E Lad I'm modeling would have been one at the height of his power, not long before the reboot. It represents a LOT of experience in things like catching blaster bolts in his mouth and swallowing them (something he actually did in the comics) and so on. Considering that he's also munched through some supposedly indestructible things (the Miracle Machine, the Persuader's Atomix Axe) I didn't feel too bad about pumping his point totals way up.

Most of the Legion write-ups also include a LOT of skills and several Overall levels to represent what they've been shown to do in the comics -- rarely do they ever fail at any kind of skill-based attempt. (Again, we're talking pre-Zero Hour reboot, of course.)

The equipment doesn't really cost that much, because this is how I did it:

1) Create basic item. Flight ring, cruisers, time bubbles, etc. These are likely to be VERY expensive.

2) Figure out how many of the said items of equipment (mainly flight rings) there have ever been; try and include the destroyed ones as well in this estimate.

3) Apply the optional "+5 points = x2 pieces of equipment" rule to get the number estimated in step 2.

4) Find the total cost of the item: basic cost for 1 of them + the cost to multiply to the desired number of items, using the optional rule.

5) Figure out how many characters have ever had one of the items, or would have been in a position to use a vehicle as a member of the team, even tangentially (including honorary members, the Subs, and so on). Divide the total item cost from step 4 by the total number of people contributing to it to figure out how much to charge each person for their "contribution/share" of the points it would take to pay for the item(s).

Doing it this way, the flight rings (for example) cost each person just 1 point, even though the flight ring itself is very expensive when looked at as a single item.

I've yet to have the opportunity to snag Galactic Champions, but if I did run it, I'd definitely use some permutation of the Standard Effect rule for damage dice to speed things up; probably something like the Star Trek HERO conversion used, where the upper third or so is rolled, but the rest is Standard Effect. I just don't want to sit there while someone counts up a 20d6 attack. :)

Besides, I can't imagine the Silver Surfer crapping out on a damage roll. :)

I've yet to have the opportunity to snag Galactic Champions' date=' but if I did run it, I'd definitely use some permutation of the Standard Effect rule for damage dice to speed things up; probably something like the Star Trek HERO conversion used, where the upper third or so is rolled, but the rest is Standard Effect. I just don't want to sit there while someone counts up a 20d6 attack. :)[/quote']

I ran a one-shot GC game from the playtest manuscript at a mini-convention, and yeah, adding up that many dice did take some time. Players borrowing enough dice from the other players to make their 20 dice attack also burned up some of our playing time :D . Guess I should have emphasized the whole "high-powered game" thing in the prereg description.

If I were going to run a GC campaign, I'd probably check into that version of the Standard Damage rule. My players might prefer to roll all the dice, if only because I don't have enough of the Hero dice for the villain's attacks -- those dice have a bit of a reputation at the table for rolling lots of sixes on damage, the players would probably appreciate the reason to "dilute" them with other dice ;) .

Hmmm... well Mon-El carried a white dwarf star across stellar distances on one occasion I can recall. I'm pretty sure he's powerful enough to make the cut to GC. There's several others who are potent, but whose defenses might be the problem... Sun Boy and Element Lad spring to mind. And others whose defenses are potent but might struggle with the offensive 'oomph'... like Brainiac-5 whose force field has held off cosmic level attacks (such as the Time Trapper). Superboy is a good one (if he exists), same with his cousin Kara (if she's alive - LSH continuity is like a Shrodinger's Cat situation).

Wildfire pre-reboot was likely potent enough to be considered a GC character, and I'd think the White Witch would be up there as well, and certainly Projectra/Sensor Girl could be. You'd have to be selective, cutting out a lot of the 'flavor' characters that I love... Bouncing Boy, Triplicate Girl/Duo Damsel, even Invisible Kid are not even close to the might required. A 'faithful' LSH campaign isn't really workable in a GC setting, but you could definitely build a team out of their membership if the others were window dressing for the PCs.

Well, part of the interesting thing/troublesome thing about Galactic Champions is that a few parts are not covered in details that are crucial if you plan on running things in that area. A big example is the Catavalan Union, formerly the Velarian Confederation. Seems like out of the 26 species there, all had to fight against the hungry fungi, and afterwards they each went different ways, but it doesn't say which race did what, save for the Catavalans themselves who apparently ended up in charge of the Union. The others either joined that new Union, are focused solely on patching up their own worlds and completely autonomous again, and others were conquered by the Varanyi, Ackailans, or Roinesh.

But which went which way? Which species were conquered? If Joe is hoping to play a Fassai in a GC campaign, he's probably going to need to know if his species is enslaved by the Varanyi or Roinesh, licking their wounds and going it alone, or prominent members of the Union.

(BTW, but if anyone has their own ideas on which species of the former Velarian Confederation suffered what fate, I'd LOVE to hear it. I've been tempted to start a campaign up with the PCs as the Avatars in that very part of space)

I'm still waiting to find out who all the species in the Velarian Confederation are. :)

Your post is why I'm hoping WoE will cover several time periods. Making it just a TE book only helps TE players [which I don't think are many] whereas making it a AW/TE/GF book helps a great many more. I think each species should have 3 separate sections detailing how to use the race in each HU era [including Champions and the Galactic Champions eras]. That way you help as many gamers as possible. This is assuming the book even gets published.

I'm still waiting to find out who all the species in the Velarian Confederation are. :)

Touche'. :) Let's see: Velarian, Catavalan, Fassai, Donburil, Renghadi, Quagi are the only ones I recall and yeah, most of the 26 are left unmentioned. I'd love conjecture about what happens to the ones we DO have named , since conjecture is what we have unless WoE touches on more.

The VC also had the Pograckian [who first appeared in Digital Hero]. They eventually joined the Galactic Federation. It seems the Ackalian Empire absorded many of the former VC systems.

We know the Catavalans form their own union, so they survive.

I would say the Fassai fall. They were already in decline and the invasion just pushed them over the edge to extinction.

The Donburil are adventurers and explorers. I think they would survive and go out on their own.

The Renghadi join the CU. The are again nearly wiped out so they are a small part of the CU.

The Quagi are dead. The sponge race suck up all their water and they can't reproduce. They die a dry death. :)

It says I must spread some rep around before repping you again, otherwise I would. :)

The VC also had the Pograckian [who first appeared in Digital Hero]. They eventually joined the Galactic Federation. It seems the Ackalian Empire absorded many of the former VC systems.

Argh. This is what I get for not being a subscriber. I know zip about the Pograckians.

The Pograckians joining would give the Federation a toehold in former Confederation space. I must learn more of this.

We know the Catavalans form their own union, so they survive.

Do you think the Union is run by the Monarchy, the college of Avatars, or some new system? (Last seems a bit unlikely as Catavalans are so traditional)

I would say the Fassai fall. They were already in decline and the invasion just pushed them over the edge to extinction.

Mmm, speaking just for myself, I would nominate the Renghaldi for that myself, for the opposite reason. With their satalite being such a tempting target, they'd probably be the first to face a real onslaught.

The Donburil are adventurers and explorers. I think they would survive and go out on their own.

True, golden commando space amazons are not to be triffled with lightly.

The Renghadi join the CU. The are again nearly wiped out so they are a small part of the CU.

That could also work. Though I was thinking of considering that fate for the Fassai, add in some failings (ethical and militarily both) and that same honor that makes them want their due could reverse on itself, making them now quite humble.

The Quagi are dead. The sponge race suck up all their water and they can't reproduce. They die a dry death. :)

You mean they croaked??? :eek:

;)

Argh. This is what I get for not being a subscriber. I know zip about the Pograckians.

The Pograckians joining would give the Federation a toehold in former Confederation space. I must learn more of this.

There's not that much information about them. There is just one character in DH #6 who is a doctor for Star*Guard I. They basically look like bloodhounds. McGriff. :)

Do you think the Union is run by the Monarchy, the college of Avatars, or some new system? (Last seems a bit unlikely as Catavalans are so traditional)

I think they would stay with a monarchy. As you say, they are traditionalists. But I could see the Avatars taking over if the entire royal bloodline was wiped out.

Mmm, speaking just for myself, I would nominate the Renghaldi for that myself, for the opposite reason. With their satalite being such a tempting target, they'd probably be the first to face a real onslaught.

The only reason I didn't go with the Renghaldi was that they have an explorer's nature as well, and so it doesn't seem like many are ever on-planet.

That could also work. Though I was thinking of considering that fate for the Fassai, add in some failings (ethical and militarily both) and that same honor that makes them want their due could reverse on itself, making them now quite humble.

I'd see the surviving Fassai as being almost a Battlestar Galactica race living in rag-tag ships marching across the galaxy, hunting the Nibu Gemani and honor bound to destroy them for all the destruction they caused.

You mean they croaked??? :eek:

Yes, but on the bright side, the Ackalians have a life-time supply of frog's legs in their freezers now. :)

There's not that much information about them. There is just one character in DH #6 who is a doctor for Star*Guard I. They basically look like bloodhounds. McGriff. :)

"Take a bite out of Crime... Grr..illness, I meant illness"

;)

I think they would stay with a monarchy. As you say, they are traditionalists. But I could see the Avatars taking over if the entire royal bloodline was wiped out.

Actually, part of my campaign idea is the PCs becoming the new Avatars. :)

The only reason I didn't go with the Renghaldi was that they have an explorer's nature as well, and so it doesn't seem like many are ever on-planet.

Bah. I say feed em to the space sharks... (I don't know why I've decided to not like the Renghaldi, maybe it's because they didn't have a write up proper, so they have earned my ire! :) )

I'd see the surviving Fassai as being almost a Battlestar Galactica race living in rag-tag ships marching across the galaxy, hunting the Nibu Gemani and honor bound to destroy them for all the destruction they caused.

Yowch. Not a bad idea actually.

Yes, but on the bright side, the Ackalians have a life-time supply of frog's legs in their freezers now. :)

Mmm... that goes down good I guarunteeee...

Actually, the notion of the Ackailians having enslaved the poor frogs and put them to work in food production (either breed it and herd it or become it) might work.

Actually' date=' part of my campaign idea is the PCs becoming the new Avatars. :)[/quote']

That would certainly work then, and make for some very interesting role-playing. :)

Bah. I say feed em to the space sharks... (I don't know why I've decided to not like the Renghaldi, maybe it's because they didn't have a write up proper, so they have earned my ire! :) )

Where is your compassion? Haven't the Renghaldi suffered enough? snf. :)

Actually, the notion of the Ackailians having enslaved the poor frogs and put them to work in food production (either breed it and herd it or become it) might work.

That's a great idea! I will certainly steal that if I ever run a GC game.

In a GC setting you can even do strange things like have Quagi blood super-charge Ackalians with powers for short periods of time. Freeing the Quagi from the Ackailians could be a balance of power issue within the campaign. Or not. :)

That would certainly work then, and make for some very interesting role-playing. :)

Thanks.

I may write up something similar to "Old School, Yesterday's Heroes" with more details later. Not sure.

Where is your compassion? Haven't the Renghaldi suffered enough? snf. :)

Nope. Their lack of detail "confuses and infuriates us!" (Thank you, Futurama)

That's a great idea! I will certainly steal that if I ever run a GC game.

In a GC setting you can even do strange things like have Quagi blood super-charge Ackalians with powers for short periods of time. Freeing the Quagi from the Ackailians could be a balance of power issue within the campaign. Or not. :)

:nonplused:

Weird thought...

"Doing the Frog" becomes interstellar slang for booster juice made from Quagi blood.

Your post is why I'm hoping WoE will cover several time periods. Making it just a TE book only helps TE players [which I don't think are many] whereas making it a AW/TE/GF book helps a great many more. I think each species should have 3 separate sections detailing how to use the race in each HU era [including Champions and the Galactic Champions eras]. That way you help as many gamers as possible. This is assuming the book even gets published.

Ack! For those of us who aren't familiar enough with Galactic Champions, would you explain the following initials:

WoE

TE

AW

GF

HU

I'm thinking TE stands for Terran Empire and GF stands for Galactic Federation, but that's it.

Ack! For those of us who aren't familiar enough with Galactic Champions, would you explain the following initials:

WoE

TE

AW

GF

HU

I'm thinking TE stands for Terran Empire and GF stands for Galactic Federation, but that's it.

Worlds of Empire

Terran Empire

Alien Wars

Galactic Federation

Hero Universe.

:)

What I meant above is that each planetary entry in WoE would have a section telling you how to use the race in an AW game, or a TE game, or a GF game. And then if DOJ was really wise they'd add two more sections telling you how to use them in a Champions and Galactic Champions game as well.

Again I agree. To me' date=' one of the biggest problems with a meta-campaign is that you have to find some way to link them all. How do you justify going from high fantasy to low fantasy to historical to pulp to superhero to cyberpunk to future war to space opera, to finally galactic superhero? The waxing and waning of magic is good but it puts the kabosh on a campaign that has long-term game time plans. In Fantasy Hero, before the characters get old, Takoclees (I can't spell his name, the evil lich with the crown) takes over the world. In Champions, you have until the year 2020 to do what you want to do because then the magic that makes supers possible is gone. Talk about a lousy retirement plan![/quote']

And in 15 years all the DOJ supers stuff will be obsolete according to its own timeline, unless you run your supers campaigns set in the past.

On a side note' date=' is it me or does every future superhero team have some poor guy from our time?[/quote']

I imagine it's a useful tool for the writers - place someone in readers can more easily identify with (at least with "where they come from") and use them to explore the differences, etc. Rest of the characters would take a Mark Seven Doomaflatchey for granted, but out-of-time guy's never heard of it before. Superboy, Vance Astro, Buck Rogers, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes. Three other GMs and I are just getting started running GC over on Hero Central. It is a lot of work setting it up and getting familiar with the world of 3001, history leading up to that time, what tech is like and communicating all that to the players, not all of whom have the book. I have found that it also helps to have the AW, TE and SH books, which I just bought... more for the race information than anything else.

Running it as an online game presents its own special problems in that not all the players have the book, though I try to encourage that as much as possible. Whenever I quote something from a Hero book, I make a note that they can buy the book from Herogames.com and that there's a lot more info in the books. And hope that Hero Games doesn't mind. (whoops... did I say that?). Unlike a Face-to-face game where you can pass the book around, in an online game where players can be all over the globe, that's a little difficult.

We haven't actually started play yet, but we're about to do so. The other GMs and I have mapped out some plot plans and hopefully it will go well and not get stale.

I imagine it's a useful tool for the writers - place someone in readers can more easily identify with (at least with "where they come from") and use them to explore the differences' date=' etc. Rest of the characters would take a Mark Seven Doomaflatchey for granted, but out-of-time guy's never heard of it before. Superboy, Vance Astro, Buck Rogers, etc.[/quote']

Yeah, they should have made a list of GC character types like that, the immortal (been around since before the previous type's time), backwater world (like the "guy out of time" but from a "primitive" planet), and so forth. Actually I can only think of these three extra types and they are all represented in Champs 3000. What other ones are there?