No MA Board?

Heroman

Just curious, figured this would be as good a spot as any, but any idea why there is no Martial Arts main level board? Granted, it only has the UMA, not a "xyz-Hero" book yet, but it would seem to draw together Martial Arts/MA campaign stuff if it had its own board...heck even FH has a board without a product yet ^^

I thinks it's because Martial Arts is a meta genre. It is a describer that can be added to main genres Ex. Man martial arts movies are martial arts Fantasy, "Kung Fu" was a martial arts Western, "The Matrix" could be considered a martial arts Sci Fi movie and so on.

Keith "Library Ninja" Curtis

Originally posted by steriaca

Eveyone can use Martial Arts. Heck, eveyone HAS used Martial Arts in a campain. This does include a caveman campain ("Klubba-Fu").

Heh,

I did an illustration for Ninja Hero that got cut (due to reasons we won't go into here). Anyway, it was basically "One character flipping another--Any genre". I chose the Caveman genre (a'la Clan of the Cave Bear)

Keith "Well apparently she invented everything else!" Curtis

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

What we really need is a Ninja Hero setting book. ;)

Quite true. Now, will you be a dear and write it? I expect a huge crinimal consperity, lead by some tougth martial arts guy who wants to (wait for it) Rule The World! Can your heros stop him, while also compeating in his semi-legal World Fighters Orginzation touriment, avoid deadly ninjas, cyborg martial artest, odd oriental magic users who can suck chi out of your body through a straw, and old, forgoten temples filled to the brim with oni?

Quite true. Now, will you be a dear and write it? I expect a huge crinimal consperity, lead by some tougth martial arts guy who wants to (wait for it) Rule The World! Can your heros stop him, while also compeating in his semi-legal World Fighters Orginzation touriment, avoid deadly ninjas, cyborg martial artest, odd oriental magic users who can suck chi out of your body through a straw, and old, forgoten temples filled to the brim with oni?

That's more of an organization book (though I'd still love to rebuild VOICE in much the same way you describe). For a setting book, I'd probably do something historical in ancient China or Japan (and I can think of at least three established Hero System writers, Mr Surbrook among them, who could do a far better job at it than I could).

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

That's more of an organization book (though I'd still love to rebuild VOICE in much the same way you describe). For a setting book, I'd probably do something historical in ancient China or Japan (and I can think of at least three established Hero System writers, Mr Surbrook among them, who could do a far better job at it than I could).

Actually...

I've pitched an idea to Steve about a NINJA HERO compantion. I would have more sample powers, write-ups for the various fictional martial arts styles from the original book (like John Wa the Monkey King's "Mad Monkey Kung Fu"), maps of places to fight, something like 40-50 NPCs (including Silk Whirlwind, the lady from Storn's mini-comics), and a setting -- Student Warrior University, an anime/video game-styled campaign set in a college for the martial arts.

But this will have to wait until I'm done with the Asian bestiary book.

You could start by buying Watchers of the Dragon, and season to taste. ;) About 80-90% of what you're asking for is in there.

Maybe I missed it, but I think steriaca is being sarcastic. When do you set the Ninja Hero setting? Ancient China? Modern San Fransisco? Where and whenever the B5 Legend of the Rangers is set? Ninjas generally, and martial arts specifically, covers too many genres to make into a single setting book. It's better as a part of other setting books, I think.

Originally posted by sbarron

Maybe I missed it, but I think steriaca is being sarcastic. When do you set the Ninja Hero setting? Ancient China? Modern San Fransisco? Where and whenever the B5 Legend of the Rangers is set? Ninjas generally, and martial arts specifically, covers too many genres to make into a single setting book. It's better as a part of other setting books, I think.

The same concerns could be said for Star Hero, but that doesn't mean sci-fi has to be folded into other genre types because there are pure sci-fi setting types, just as there are pure martial arts setting types (ancient China and ancient Japan are just two examples, and probably cover more than one potential setting apiece at that).

Kung Fu and Bushido provide more than enough material to warrant a setting book of their own. Duelling Shaolin masters, Taoists sorcerers, hopping vampires, ninjas, demons, samurai and ronin... of course, I've just described Feng Shui, but Hero is about the only other system out there that could do the genre justice. The original Ninja Hero was halfway there.