Any Japanese speakers on the board?

Darren Watts

Re: Any Japanese speakers on the board?

OK, since we have multiple volunteers- I need a name for a Japanese team, not formalized but more a "Defenders"-style, we're-a-bunch-of-solo-heroes-who've-exchanged-phone-numbers sort of pickup group that only gets together when giant monsters, robots or aliens are attacking. My google-fu has so far given me "Jinsoku Konbatto Chiimu," which may or may not mean "Rapid Combat Team." Can somebody help me confirm and/or improve this name? dw

I'll ask my wife when she gets home from work and see what she would say.

Japanese names in anime, manga and so forth have this propensity for couching their nouns after a string of adjectives or other descriptors.

For instance a more Japanese-ish sounding super team name might translate to something like "Super Combat Team Neo". I'll talk to my wife tonight and post her response. I'll give her your original name of Rapid Combat Team and then see if she can come up with some variants that you might like also.

Well, I asked my wife and there are some different ways you could go about it. She said if you really want Rapid Combat Team, you could use what you have come up with, "Jinsoku Konbatto Chiimu". Grammar wise its probably ok, but it doesn't sound natural.

She suggested that just going with "Konbatto Chiimu" would actually sound better. Or as a variant, you could add some sort of name at the end such as: "Konbatto Chiimu Arashi". Which would translate as Combat Team Storm. With "Storm" being the actual name of the team ala "X-men", "Avengers", and so on.

For something more natural, she suggested: "Chojin Sentai [insert cool team name]". "Chojin" is superhuman. "Sentai" is a word that roughly means army/group/combat force/combat team, etc. For example, Chojin Sentai Arashi would translate formally along the lines of "Superhuman Combat Team Storm". Although, you could translate it to English in various ways depending on your preference. Such as "Super Team Storm", or "Super Strike Force Storm", and so on, and the meaning would still be essentially the same.

You don't have to use "Arashi" or Storm, but for some reason she thought it would make a really cool name for a Japanese super team, so she kept using it in the examples she gave me. :)

I hope that helps.

Well, I asked my wife and there are some different ways you could go about it. She said if you really want Rapid Combat Team, you could use what you have come up with, "Jinsoku Konbatto Chiimu". Grammar wise its probably ok, but it doesn't sound natural.

She suggested that just going with "Konbatto Chiimu" would actually sound better. Or as a variant, you could add some sort of name at the end such as: "Konbatto Chiimu Arashi". Which would translate as Combat Team Storm. With "Storm" being the actual name of the team ala "X-men", "Avengers", and so on.

For something more natural, she suggested: "Chojin Sentai [insert cool team name]". "Chojin" is superhuman. "Sentai" is a word that roughly means army/group/combat force/combat team, etc. For example, Chojin Sentai Arashi would translate formally along the lines of "Superhuman Combat Team Storm". Although, you could translate it to English in various ways depending on your preference. Such as "Super Team Storm", or "Super Strike Force Storm", and so on, and the meaning would still be essentially the same.

You don't have to use "Arashi" or Storm, but for some reason she thought it would make a really cool name for a Japanese super team, so she kept using it in the examples she gave me. :)

I hope that helps.

It does, thanks. What do you or your wife think would make a good third word to connote speed, instead of Storm? I want to convey the idea that it's a group that deals with emergencies and can react quickly- a la "minutemen"

or something like that? dw

To convey speed or rapid, she suggested using "Chojin Kosoku Sentai". "Kosoku" means speed or rapid. So the translation would be "Superhuman Rapid Combat Team" or something along those lines.

If you use that you probably don't need another noun at the end. Let me know if you have any other questions.