King Kong Trailer Online

Theron

Re: King Kong Trailer Online

Looks pretty damn good on spec' date=' but until I see it and like it I will assume Jackson's going to screw it up. I have my reputation to maintain, after all. ;)[/quote']

What is it about Tolkien fans from Greensboro? One of my dearest friends lives there and one of the few things that can work her into a livid frothing fury is mentioning the film trilogy.

Anyway, I have faith.

Good heavens, was that Jack Black? Straight acting?

With typical smooth timing, after I'd spent half an hour downloading the smallest version of the trailer, my girlfriend came home, flicked the telly on and they were showing the whole blasted thing. Much more impressive when it's larger than postage stamp size.

Have to say, I wasn't too bothered about this one (dark memories of going to the pictures to see the De Laurentis version have scarred me) but the trailer has actually sparked my interest. Pulp lives!

One of Roger Ebert's bugaboos about things like the Godzilla movies was "size constancy". Once you have established the size of a creature, it should not change unless there is a story reason for it to grow or shrink.

Since we only got about threre shots of Kong, is it just me or did he appear to be three different sizes?

One of Roger Ebert's bugaboos about things like the Godzilla movies was "size constancy". Once you have established the size of a creature, it should not change unless there is a story reason for it to grow or shrink.

Since we only got about threre shots of Kong, is it just me or did he appear to be three different sizes?

No, I think it had to do with the context. I thought he looked kinda small when he jumps down to fight the Tyrannosaurus, but it is because he is fighting a Tyrannosaurus. In the city, he looks larger because the objects around him are built for us i.e. the cars and lightpoles.

I find I must agree with the other posters...FREAKIN' AWESOME.

I know in the NGD I said Hollywood has run dry on originality. This doesn't change that idea because it is a remake. However, it is a well constructed remake.

Just like the original!

Right down to the moss and vine covered natural bridge!

I just about swallowed my tounge when I saw it.

I have to admit misgivings when I first heard about it, but this ones gonna get me into the theaters... It looks like something I want to see on a big screen.

Woot

Good heavens' date=' was that Jack Black? Straight acting? [/quote']

That's just what I said when I saw the trailer before the Spielburg version of War of the Worlds (which was actually much better than I expected).

My thoughts went the other way though - why remake King Kong? It's only a monster movie.

My thoughts went the other way though - why remake King Kong? It's only a monster movie.

To a film buff, that's like saying Romeo and Juliet is "only a teen revenge drama". King Kong is the monster movie. It is the gold standard against which all other gigantic beasties are measured.

Can you imagine Jack Black in the famous exchange:

Cop: "Well, looks like the airplanes got 'im."

Producer: "No, it was Beauty killed the Beast."

It really comes down to - why remake a classic. It was a classic at the time, but remaking it just turns it into yet another monster movie.

Much like remakes of Nosferatu (or even remakes of Starwars ;-p)

Werner Herzog's Nosferatu the Vampyre did not survivie being dubbed very well. The German-langauge version is quite effective, with Klaus Kinski as a great vampire. And his fangs were in the most efficient place to suck blood....

The relationship between Herzog and Kinski could often be desribed as a cold war, punctuated by occasional thermonuclear exchanges, yet it produced such remarkable films as Aguierre, the Wrath of God and Fitzcarraldo. The speical madness of a man who would build an opera house in the heart of the Amazon jungle where nobody would be there to hear the performances describes both Herzog and Kinski quite well.

It really comes down to - why remake a classic. It was a classic at the time' date=' but remaking it just turns it into yet another monster movie.[/quote']

Jackson wanted to redo King Kong before he did LOTR. Dunno why.

Werner Herzog's Nosferatu the Vampyre did not survivie being dubbed very well. The German-langauge version is quite effective' date=' with Klaus Kinski as a great vampire. And his fangs were in the most efficient place to suck blood.....[/quote']

Which itself is a remake of the 1922 silent movie by the same name.