King Kong Trailer Online

Theron

Re: King Kong Trailer Online

Jackson wanted to redo King Kong before he did LOTR. Dunno why.

It's his favorite film of all time. Seeing it is what made him want to make movies. He owns one of the original stop-motion Kong puppets as part of his personal collection of movie memorabilia (I think I read he acquired it after he made "The Frighteners").

Which itself is a remake of the 1922 silent movie by the same name.

Quite correct, Susano. Nosferatu and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari were the two films to come right out of post-World War I Germany that invented the horror film as we know it today. They were silent, which meant that there was no language barrier between these films and a worldwide audience.

Nosferatu was intended to be a near-straight adaptation of the Bram Stoker novel Dracula, but since nobody bothered to get the approval of Stoker's estate names and locations had to be changed. To this day the true identity of Max Schreck, the actor who play the vampire Count Orlock (sp?), is a mystery.

The other great horror film to come out of Wiemar Germany was The Golem, which had it not been distributed worldwide would porbably have been obliterated from cinema history by the onrushing Nazis. Fritz Lang also contributed a spectacular silent adaptation of Faust, telling the story of the legendary magician who sold his soul to Mephistopholes in exchange for power.

And thus the huge debt all film buffs owe the Weimar Republic.

Looks cool. Hope the movie lives up to the trailer.

Now...if only they would come out with a "John Carter, Warlord of Mars" movie..."Sigh"...

http://imdb.com/title/tt0401729/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxsbT01MDB8dHQ9MXxmYj11fHBuPTB8cT1qb2huIGNhcnRlcnxodG1sPTF8bm09MQ__;fc=32;ft=32;fm=1

Quite correct' date=' Susano. [i']Nosferatu[/i] and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari were the two films to come right out of post-World War I Germany that invented the horror film as we know it today. They were silent, which meant that there was no language barrier between these films and a worldwide audience.

Nosferatu was intended to be a near-straight adaptation of the Bram Stoker novel Dracula, but since nobody bothered to get the approval of Stoker's estate names and locations had to be changed. To this day the true identity of Max Schreck, the actor who play the vampire Count Orlock (sp?), is a mystery.

Not according to this article on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Schrek

Thanks Susano.

As a kid I used to try to get to Mars...silly, but it would have been better than being where I was at the time. Lots of fond memories in those books & dreams.

I just hope the production doesn't get cut....and I hope it's actually good. Don't think I could take a bad adaptation.

Nadrakas....."Barsoom rules..."

To this day the true identity of Max Schreck' date=' the actor who play the vampire Count Orlock (sp?), is a mystery.[/quote']

You'd have thought that someone would have asked him when he filmed one of the 48 other films he's credited with, or perhaps during his long stage career.

Thanks Susano.

As a kid I used to try to get to Mars...silly, but it would have been better than being where I was at the time. Lots of fond memories in those books & dreams.

Don't worry, Carl Sagan states he stood out in a field many a night, trying to wish himself to Barsoom. ^_^

One of Roger Ebert's bugaboos about things like the Godzilla movies was "size constancy". Once you have established the size of a creature, it should not change unless there is a story reason for it to grow or shrink.

Since we only got about threre shots of Kong, is it just me or did he appear to be three different sizes?

I didn't notice three, but when I saw Kong next to the car (in New York) I said to myself "He's too small. Looks like Mighty Joe Young." Then later they show him facing off a T Rex and he's huge.

Surely it can't be any worse than the 1980s remake. *shudder*

It's his favorite film of all time. Seeing it is what made him want to make movies. He owns one of the original stop-motion Kong puppets as part of his personal collection of movie memorabilia (I think I read he acquired it after he made "The Frighteners").

I recall that he also stated that it needed to be remade because the kids of today are unwilling to view the original B&W version with the degree of awe that it should be viewed as, i.e. a wonderful story and movie is by-passed solely because of outdated special effects.

I'd like to say that's bull, but sadly I have personal experience of it being true. My kids automatically pass on anything in B&W- this despite my having shown them some stuff that they actually liked.

Sigh.

The trailer does look good. It's wowed everyone I've shown it to and most would have never given it a second thought normally.

Btw, I've had a bunch of people think the dinos were a new addition to the story (they weren't sci-fi fans, but did see the original). Memory is an odd thing, but the dino-ape fight is one of the things I always remembered about the original....

I recall that he also stated that it needed to be remade because the kids of today are unwilling to view the original B&W version with the degree of awe that it should be viewed as, i.e. a wonderful story and movie is by-passed solely because of outdated special effects.

I'd like to say that's bull, but sadly I have personal experience of it being true. My kids automatically pass on anything in B&W- this despite my having shown them some stuff that they actually liked.

As an old geek, I'm very pleased that my six-year-old is gaga over the old SF flicks that Turner Classic Movies showed during June. So far he's watched & loved The Thing From Another World, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Twenty Million Years To Earth, The Blob and several others. Until that last one he'd tell my three-year-old, "All alien movies are in black and white." :) I can't wait for the original Kong on DVD that's rumored for late this year. I think he'll dig it.

But I can certainly appreciate Jackson's sentiment. If Devlin & Emmerich were remaking it, I'd say it's not worth the risk. But I trust Jackson to update it correctly.

The trailer does look good. It's wowed everyone I've shown it to and most would have never given it a second thought normally.

I saw it again at War of the Worlds. Blew me away. Sometimes I wonder why I bother with the little moving postcards on the internet?

Btw, I've had a bunch of people think the dinos were a new addition to the story (they weren't sci-fi fans, but did see the original). Memory is an odd thing, but the dino-ape fight is one of the things I always remembered about the original....

Heck yes, one of the more iconic sequences (in a film full of them).

Quite correct' date=' Susano. [i']Nosferatu[/i] and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari were the two films to come right out of post-World War I Germany that invented the horror film as we know it today. They were silent, which meant that there was no language barrier between these films and a worldwide audience.

The other great horror film to come out of Wiemar Germany was The Golem, which had it not been distributed worldwide would porbably have been obliterated from cinema history by the onrushing Nazis. Fritz Lang also contributed a spectacular silent adaptation of Faust, telling the story of the legendary magician who sold his soul to Mephistopholes in exchange for power.

And thus the huge debt all film buffs owe the Weimar Republic.

I ran the Cabinet of DR. Caligari at a cinematography class or film festival at the UW. MAN that is a disturbing movie.

Though "M" was in many ways even MORE disturbing...

I remember saying to my wife the day I read they had signed Jackson. "They have to do this as a period film, which could be really amazing". My wife said "I have never seen King Kong" and I tripped and fell down the stairs.

I should be out of the body cast just in time for the opening.*

Ross

*I am not really in a body cast, but I thought that the fact that she had never even seen King Kong was pretty fscking shocking for a girl who calls herself a geek.

That one doesn't surprise me too much. You always had to pay close attention to catch Kong on TV. My wife had never seen The Wizard of Oz, though, which was an annual television event. Weird, but it did give me the pleasure of taking her to see it for the first time at a restored "movie palace" downtown. You haven't seen Oz until you've seen it on the big screen.

The same goes for King Kong, too. But that one's much harder to catch full-size.

I saw the original King Kong as a kid, and it's always been among my favorite movies. The SFX are stiff by today's standards, some of the acting pretty wooden, style almost campy in spots... but there was still genius in the suspenseful buildup to Kong's first appearance, his fight with the t-rex, forcing open the great gate, peering through the window of Anne Darrow's apartment, and of course the climax atop the ESB. Action, horror, pathos, exotic locale - that film has it all. :thumbup:

What really excites me about the trailer to the new version is that it appears so faithful to the original. The same characters seem to be there, with much the same background and relationships. The storyline looks to follow the original pretty closely. It's even set in the same time period. But it has all the slickness of modern moviemaking technology. And I for one am willing to forward Peter Jackson a lot of credit on whatever he directs; he's proven to me that he can balance all the big flashy moments with the small intimate ones.

It's been some time since I was this excited anticipating a film. :bounce: