A more feminine martial art

Kyle A.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: A more feminine martial art

Right. Cause gun fans NEVER argue about minutae and what's better for what purpose, and wiether or not M-16 bullets can be deflected by leaves or not. :)

This kind of thing tends invariably to devolve into the kind of 'No, Nakajima, THIS is true power!!" argument thats only really works if you're yelling it from the cockpit of a giant robot . . .

Nothing punctuates a good retorical point quite as well as a cloud of spahgetti missles.

---

Ya ever notice how martial arts fans never show up in threads about guns and say, 'But what if someone grabs you by the neck?'

Guest Black Lotus

Right. Cause gun fans NEVER argue about minutae and what's better for what purpose' date=' and wiether or not M-16 bullets can be deflected by leaves or not. :)[/quote']

I post on one of those message boards. Want to discuss frangible ammunition? ROFL.

Ya ever notice how martial arts fans never show up in threads about guns and say' date=' 'But what if someone grabs you by the neck?'[/quote']

No. Guns are, and always will be, more powerful than a kick. But I believe, and will continue to believe, that it's the man that matters, not the machine. A gunman is only as fast as his trigger finger, after all. ;)

This kind of thing tends invariably to devolve into the kind of 'No' date=' Nakajima, THIS is true power!!" argument thats only really works if you're yelling it from the cockpit of a giant robot . . .[/quote']

This just became a new .sig!

Guest Black Lotus

Or maybe he's trying to impress into his students that knowledge of the martial arts does not = invincible.

Then he should do so in a reasonable, factual manner. Guns do not always win; that's a defeatist attitude, and I'm about being realistic, but also positive-thikning and courageous. I am a martial arts instructor myself, and I personally see that as a bad way to get the point across. I teach students that guns are to be respected and understood, but not feared, any more than one would fear death or injury from any other source. Clear thinking and correct action can allow you to successfully escape from a gunman, or disarm him, as the situation requires. Usually, I preach escape, but not always; there are situations where a gunman can be defeated with minimal risk to the martial artist or others.

Then he should do so in a reasonable' date=' factual manner. Guns do not always win; that's a defeatist attitude, and I'm about being realistic, but also positive-thikning and courageous. I am a martial arts instructor myself, and I personally see that as a bad way to get the point across. I teach students that guns are to be respected and understood, but not feared, any more than one would fear death or injury from any other source. Clear thinking and correct action can allow you to successfully escape from a gunman, or disarm him, as the situation requires. Usually, I preach escape, but not always; there are situations where a gunman can be defeated with minimal risk to the martial artist or others.[/quote']

I just don't like seeing someone equated to a fool from just once sentence. That's all.

(Unless, of course, your sentence leaves no doubt.)

Guest Black Lotus

I just don't like seeing someone equated to a fool from just once sentence. That's all.

(Unless, of course, your sentence leaves no doubt.)

All right. What he SAID was foolish, and incomplete information. He may, in general, be a sharp fellow. (Not being sarcastic there).

(However, teaching that to students... that makes me angry. They neeed to be taught properly.) IMHO

I post on one of those message boards. Want to discuss frangible ammunition? ROFL.

Absolutely NOT!Robinson>

I remember one game I was present for a couple of years ago, (not involved, but in the room, off and on) and there was a THREE HOUR discussion of how much the M-16 sucked. They may have done a tiny bit of gaming while I was out, but mostly it was bitching about the M-16.

The sad thing was that it was a WW2 game.

No. Guns are, and always will be, more powerful than a kick. But I believe, and will continue to believe, that it's the man that matters, not the machine. A gunman is only as fast as his trigger finger, after all. ;)

I'm not arguing that. No one's suggesting that cops and soldiers learn kung fu instead of carrying guns.

So why, whenever a martial arts argument/discussion comes up, does someone bring up guns? When people argue about running, no one comes in and says, "But my car can go 90 miles an hour!" do they?

---

Not that guns arn't cool. They are. Just not as cool as swords . . .

Shotguns and kantana make everything cooler instantly.

Shotguns 'cause they go KA-CHINK! and kantana 'cause they usually mean that ninja aren't far behind. And once you have ninja, the coolness factor goes up 100-fold.

And don't even start me on adding monkeys to the mix!

why, whenever a martial arts argument/discussion comes up, does someone bring up guns? When people argue about running, no one comes in and says, "But my car can go 90 miles an hour!" do they?

No one hyps running as the end-all be-all of transport.

You only have the raving martial art fanboys to blame.

I'm not arguing that. No one's suggesting that cops and soldiers learn kung fu instead of carrying guns.

So why, whenever a martial arts argument/discussion comes up, does someone bring up guns? When people argue about running, no one comes in and says, "But my car can go 90 miles an hour!" do they?

---

It's the overlap between Martial Arts, Self Defense, and General Machismo.

If people argue about running technique, mentioning a car is silly. If the argument drifts over to the best way to get to work in the morning, cars will be brought into the discussion. ;)

There is a Chinese style called Pi Qua Zhang that might fit your needs. It's a very soft, open, flowing style. It is actually considered to be the feminine counterpart to another style called Baji Chuan, which is very hard, closed-off and thunderous.

Though it is difficult to find good info. about these styles, they're on the web.

Actually, that's something that could work out well as a theme for both of the characters you mentioned. There is also a linking form that puts these two arts together, combining them harmoniously.

IRL I study these styles, so PM me if you have any questions about where to look for info.

Shotguns 'cause they go KA-CHINK! and kantana 'cause they usually mean that ninja aren't far behind. And once you have ninja, the coolness factor goes up 100-fold.

I've always felt zombie pirate ninja cyborg monkies were the ticket to movie magic....wodner why I've never seen them in films :nonp:

Have I ever posted my cyborg-monkey ninjas?

Monkeys!!! :shock: Sorry was channeling Ron Stoppable:)

I've always felt zombie pirate ninja cyborg monkies were the ticket to movie magic....wodner why I've never seen them in films :nonp:

POTC is about as close as you're ever going to get me-thinks.

Guest Black Lotus

So why' date=' whenever a martial arts argument/discussion comes up, does someone bring up guns? When people argue about running, no one comes in and says, "But my car can go 90 miles an hour!" do they?[/quote']

A gun is as compact and easy to use as a fist... thus the utility; it's on the same "scale" so to speak. A car is a lot bigger and more cumbersome than a human. Running has many advantages over a car in some circumstances, as well, and vice versa.

I mean, if you superglued a gun into your fist, you'd have an extremely powerful weapon (so to speak). A car can't always be as handy...

I'm not making any sense, am I? Oh well. I know what I mean.... ;)

Guest Black Lotus

POTC is about as close as you're ever going to get me-thinks.

What's that, Pirates of the Caribbean?

(Johnny Depp totally carried that movie....)

I don't know. I think big revolvers might be cooler than shotguns. Not only can you pull the hammer back for an extra presence boost, after you're done, you can let the empty shells drop dramatically. And because you have to slide each round in by itself, you can punctuate the battlefield wisdom you're imparting to your sidekick.

The katana family of swords are cool becase you can do the 'seal break' thing with your thumb. There's just no equivelent gesture with other sword types.

---

I suppose you can draw a heavy sword with your back to your enemy, and let the big wooden scabbard drop to the ground as you spin around to face them, but it's just not the same.

Guest Black Lotus

I don't know. I think big revolvers might be cooler than shotguns.

Damn right!

Then again, "Fistful of BOOMSTICK!" is fun too. ;)

I don't know. I think big revolvers might be cooler than shotguns. Not only can you pull the hammer back for an extra presence boost' date=' after you're done, you can let the empty shells drop dramatically. And because you have to slide each round in by itself, you can punctuate the battlefield wisdom you're imparting to your sidekick.[/quote']

Well, there's the pump-action for the PRE boots, the slow-motion shot of the expended shell bouncing across the ground, and reloading is also one shell at a time.

It's a tie.

what we need obviously is shotgun wielding samuri, who fight ninjas with katanas