A more feminine martial art

Kyle A.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: A more feminine martial art

Depends on what you mean by 'feminine' . . .

Wing Chun is the traditional 'womens' kung fu style, at least in the movies. It has a spectacularly inconsistant 'origin story', even by notoriously lax martial art history standards, but it's reasonably clear that a woman was involved somehow. It's very good at minimizing strength differences.

Or if you mean 'feminine' as in 'soft and flowing' something like akido or tai chi? (Tai Chi looks spectaularly badass when done at full speed and full power)

Women are somewhat less vulnerable to groin strikes then men, so how about one of the jumpier northern kung fu styles? :)

Spear and halbred type weapons, like naginatas, are good for women and small men because they can be used to keep an oponent at a distance where they can't use thier strength as effectively.*

---

* Robert Jordan got this dead backwards in WOT. Of course, he also got the 'staff vs. Musashi' story dead backwards, so that's not suprising. If you ever have to fight ninjas with Robert Jordan, do not expect him to hold up his end of the fight.

I'd go with Tai-Chi, plus (if it's that kind of campaign) cinematic powers like reflection, stretching defined as hair or a scarf/sleave, entangle defined as hair or a scarf/sleave, energy blast based on a musical instrument, RKA defined as throwing hair combs or pins, an RKA linked to Min Control defined as throwing needles into someone and then controlling them with the thread, HKA long nails, maybe a dual-weilding sword style using light swords...

That's just the Chinese stuff. A Japanese POV might get you Aikido or Judo plus bow or spear, then get wilder in a way similar to the above.

Guest Black Lotus

I also recommend Wing Chun.

Info:

Wing Chun, a Kung Fu style, originated from the fighting styles made famous by Shaolin Monks, was invented about 400 years ago by a nun. Ng Mui devised Wing Chun in order to create a Kung Fu style more suited to women. Whilst on the run from the Manchurians, she taught her style to a fellow martial artist Yim Wing Chun. They named this new system Wing Chun instead of Ng Mui, since she was a fugitive at that time.

I would agree with any of them. If you still want to go with the more masculine styles you can giver her a very feminin weapon.

I have a large tigrin female who took her martial arts focus from dirty brawing and boxing. She also has karate elements. But I wanted to still make her feminine. So she can also preform all of these moves with her whip. AND she has acrobatics to make them look cooler than they should. You can always fudge it a bit SFX wise if you want to.

Nitpick: Tai Chi is next to useless in a fight. Tai Chi Chuan is a full fledged martial art from which Tai Chi was developed as a fad exercise/meditation. :)

It is arguably the most graceful martial art in the world, and would get my vote.

Capeoria relies on agility, flexibility, and rythmic movement and women are not at a significant disadvantage when practicing it.

Jujutsu, relying on leverage and knowledge of anatomy is widely taught to women as a self defence technique.

As has already been mentioned, Aikido and Wing Chun Kung Fu are also suitable female practitioners and look quite graceful

What is a Feminie martial art? Does it involve shreiking, flashing cleavage, and clothing explosions? Better uniform coordination? :rolleyes:

Sorry. The title struck me as funny. I don't mean to be condescending.

“And what is this ‘feminine protection’ anyways? A chanteuse flamethrower?†–Bloom County

:)

I'm making a couple of villains right now and they both have a martial art. I have one picked out for the male villain but I want a martial art that seems more feminine then masculine. Any suggestions?

Question, what's the martial art style you picked for the guy? Knowing that might help decide what best contrsts it by comparison.

Though most of the suggestions you've already received sound pretty good to me.

I am a Marshel Artist. So to answer you question, maybe you just have to give her any MA you want and just play her more feminine. My daughter is the most polite, quiet, little girl you would ever meet. But once the sparing gear goes on she transforms. Will all the years of ballet has given her the speed, flexability, and moves to take on every boy in the class. She won a Taekwondo state tournament 2 years in a row.

So playing her very feminine just may be what you are looking for, as the fight only takes a few seconds anyway.

Remember in almost every MA side kicks are all the same, as well as punches. A few differences may be:

Wardo Ryu - deals mostly a philosophy of better attitude inside and out. and development of respect.

Shotokan - Teaches self respect and is softer. It also boosts your self confidence and pushes for non-aggression.

Aikido - Teaches you how to harmonizes with your attacker and redirect his energy. Lots of joint locks, reverses and chokes. I have seen demo with older men easily defeating younger stronger attackers with ease. though I am not sure how street effective this is, and they were funny pants. :-)

Judo & Jutsu (They are NOT the same) is good for females and fighting larger opponents.

Wing Chun - is a "sticky hand" MA great for close quarters> It ties up your opponents hands with redirects and locks the delivering a fluid attack in one movement.

Tai Chi - Has grown in popularity recently and is good as a softer style MA or for older participants. In some classes you don't even spar, but work on your inner self. This art is very close to dance. Though on the real side of it. IT has a lot of grapples, joint locks,and presser points.

Fan - The fan is a very cool female weapon that can cut, disarms opponents with swords and block incoming attacks. Not used in movies at all and i have no idea why. It is a GREAT female MA weapon.

There are many other MA but I though these would be the best for a female character. IF you have any questions on any of them, i would be happy to elaborate.

Fan - The fan is a very cool female weapon that can cut' date=' disarms opponents with swords and block incoming attacks. Not used in movies at all and i have no idea why. It is a GREAT female MA weapon.[/quote']

THE PRODIGAL SON with Yuen Biao features him fighting an opponent armed with a large folding fan.

Some thoughts -

if you are looking for "feminine" as soft and flowery then go with the internal soft styles.

If you look at it from a practical point of view, going with that approach works as well, as it relies more on balance and redirection than power. However, something like Tae Kwon Do or Hop Ki Do would also be very tactically fitting for a woman - it relies very little on upperbody strength, but on kicks and legs, which would also give the woman in question better reach than hand strikes.

But it doesn't look all "feminine"

If it isn't unarmed only you might go with traditional "women's weapons" like a Naginata.

Give her a shotgun' date=' a pistol, a few grenades, and plenty of skill levels. To make them more feminine, she can put little Hello Kitty stickers on them.[/quote']

My wife can pump a 12-guage one-handed. It be sexy.

Yup. Got to. Until she puts the gun down, at least. :)

The joke while I was learning was that you could always tell the Tae Kwan Do techniqes because they all envolved either gouging out eyes or clawing at the groin. It, and most of the karate styles, are really best sutied to a good sized, fairly strong practitioner.

Of course, this is a comic book, after all, so image is more important than reality.

How about casting against type? Big buff woman with a hard, ripping style and a small guy with a soft, wussy style?

--

My favorite TKD technique:

Elbow straight back into the solar plexus.

Hammer fist to the groin.

Grab groin.

Pull upwards as hard as you can.