A more feminine martial art

Kyle A.

Re: A more feminine martial art

This has gotten... Interesting.

A gun in real life is deadly in real life, period. You have a good chance of dying from a gunshot to the arm simply due to the shock waves that the fluids in your body carry to your vital organs. I PERSONALLY do not want to play a game where that can happen to my characters. In my late 80's gaming life it was a different story. Of course, that was different than what I liked in my early 80's games, and different than what I wanted in my 90's games.

Some people on this board like realism, with some pretty simple modifications you can bring that realism in. That's the point of Hero and I am glad of it. So to you Fox1 I say... Game on man! You know what you want and you do it.

No wait I say that to everyone here. You guys are great, but man there is some misinformatin flying around here. I constantly finding myself writing replies and then just giving up. Examples: At 20ft a gunman is more likely to lose than a the person trying to take the gun away. True, it's part of many police training courses, in both directions.

Tai Chi (Taiji) IS Tai Chi Chuan (taijichuan). Chuan translates to Technique sometimes fist. The difference is in how you apply the techniques you've learned which requires taking the art a step further.

The reason I say anything is that misinformation is no help to anyone.

As far as martial arts and testosterone, we teach our students the following.

"Of the 36 Chinese Stratagems, utilize 1 and 36 the most.

1. Cross the sea without Heaven's knowledge.

36. Running away is the best stratagem.

If number 1 fails use number 36..."

And I've not seen the testosterone thing, people are stating their background so that you can see they at least have one. Take it with a grain of salt, this is the internet and anyone can say anything they want, but don't be insulting.

Enjoy

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 20ft a gunman is more likely to lose than a the person trying to take the gun away. True, it's part of many police training courses, in both directions.

Okay, I'm going to have to challenge this simply because that isn't quite the way I was taught. And, yes, I've actually had training, abet several years ago, by people who taught the police shooting courses.

20 ft comes up a lot because of a study the FBI did years ago (early 70s, I believe) that said most shootings occur at 20 ft or less and are over in 5 shots or less. 5 shot snub nosed revolvers were standard issue for a number of departments. Another factor is that 20 ft can be covered in about one second by an average person. What that means is that if you have your gun in your holster and a guy is standing 20 ft away with a knife in his hand, he is most likely able to get to you before you can pull and aim your gun.

I don't think anyone would challenge that being able to block an incoming fist thrown by someone within arms reach is something most people can do fairly consistently against an equal opponent. Saying a gunman, which to me implies that the gun is out and aimed, is more likely to lose at less than 20 ft vs someone who is charging in to disarm them implies that it takes more time and skill to simply squeeze the trigger of an aimed weapon than to block an incoming punch of someone at arms reach.

Hmm... Maybe I need to qualify that a little bit. I guess I am making the assumption that the shooter has taken the time to actually go out and shoot enough to be reasonably competent with his weapon. Nothing major, just a 6" group consistently at 20 ft, which is nothing I would consider unreasonable for the average person.

Guest Black Lotus

This has gotten... Interesting.

A gun in real life is deadly in real life, period. You have a good chance of dying from a gunshot to the arm simply due to the shock waves that the fluids in your body carry to your vital organs.

Wha...? "Shock waves"? With all due respect, I think you need to go back and do more research on the medical ramifications of gunshot wounds on the human body. There have been people who have survived multiple gun shots, to the vitals, even, and shots to the limbs are rarely fatal, unless they hit an artery. Of course, really large caliber bullets are an exception.

No wait I say that to everyone here. You guys are great' date=' but man there is some misinformatin flying around here.[/quote']

Fair enough....

I constantly finding myself writing replies and then just giving up.

Me too.

Examples: At 20ft a gunman is more likely to lose than a the person trying to take the gun away. True' date=' it's part of many police training courses, in both directions.[/quote']

I've never heard this before in my life. I've been practicing martial arts for sixteen years now, and the best opportunity to disarm a gunman is when he is holding the gun close to your body. Of course, if he is far enough away, you can easily flee. But this "20 ft." business? I don't understand.

Tai Chi (Taiji) IS Tai Chi Chuan (taijichuan). Chuan translates to Technique sometimes fist. The difference is in how you apply the techniques you've learned which requires taking the art a step further.

I don't think people are misinformed about this. Everyone here that's interested in the issue knows that the two styles are connected. Yes, in a way they're the same style... but in America, a lot of people never learn to use Taiji offensively, or even in any practical manner; they simply use it as a workout.

In other words, the kata are identical, but in essence, there are two very distinct schools of Taiji in America. Also, it's not nice to change the Americanized spelling to pinyin to show your superior knowledge. ;)

I've never heard this before in my life. I've been practicing martial arts for sixteen years now, and the best opportunity to disarm a gunman is when he is holding the gun close to your body. Of course, if he is far enough away, you can easily flee. But this "20 ft." business? I don't understand.

This part I can chime in on:

I've helped teach martial art "crash courses" for cops in the past. One of the biggest things we always need to beat through their heads (often literally) is not to blindly rely on their guns. A simple example normally suffices:

Put someone on one end of the room, gun holstered. Put someone else on the other end of the room with a large stick/bat (or a knife, bottle, what-have-you --- we use styrofoam "clubs"). Have the guy with the club rush the guy with the gun. A disturbing amount of the time, the cops that we work with will sit there fumbling for their weapon, trying to draw it, aim, and fire on the charging attacker. They end up being beaten over the head.....all because they didn't just _move_ and use the weapons that they had available (hands, feet, head, etc.).

Guns are meant for distance. Once drawn, 10-20 feet is ideal (as you note, punks that like to put the gun right up against you are fairly easily disarmed). But you need to take into account preparation time (drawing, aiming, getting into a good stance, etc.) when deciding whether to use the weapon.

If you have an attacker within 20 feet of you, it's not the best time to be fumbling for a weapon. Use what you have until such time as you have distracted the attacker and created the time that you need to handle things.

Guest Black Lotus

Put someone on one end of the room, gun holstered. Put someone else on the other end of the room with a large stick/bat (or a knife, bottle, what-have-you --- we use styrofoam "clubs"). Have the guy with the club rush the guy with the gun. A disturbing amount of the time, the cops that we work with will sit there fumbling for their weapon, trying to draw it, aim, and fire on the charging attacker. They end up being beaten over the head.....all because they didn't just _move_ and use the weapons that they had available (hands, feet, head, etc.).

If you have an attacker within 20 feet of you, it's not the best time to be fumbling for a weapon. Use what you have until such time as you have distracted the attacker and created the time that you need to handle things.

Ah, I understand now. Makes perfect sense.

Guest Black Lotus

"Clothing explosions"?!?

:nonp:

I'm almost certain this refers to female characters in Japanese martial arts anime.

EDIT: Wherein a character gets hit, and almost all (or all) of the clothing gets blown off of her body.

I'm almost certain this refers to female characters in Japanese martial arts anime.

EDIT: Wherein a character gets hit, and almost all (or all) of the clothing gets blown off of her body.

Actually, I think it refers to magical girl transformations, where the girl in question spins around, has her clothing explode, reform, and then volia! instant bad-ass martial arts machine in a short skirt and tight top.

Guest Black Lotus

Actually' date=' I think it refers to magical girl transformations, where the girl in question spins around, has her clothing explode, reform, and then volia! instant bad-ass martial arts machine in a short skirt and tight top.[/quote']

That too. I thought of that, but it didn't seem to have much to do with martial arts anime. I guess it happens in Sailor Moon, or in... that anime I always forget the name of. Oh right, Cutey Honey.

That too. I thought of that' date=' but it didn't seem to have much to do with martial arts anime. I guess it happens in [i']Sailor Moon[/i], or in... that anime I always forget the name of. Oh right, Cutey Honey.

You know, now that you mention it, I've seen Cutey Honey; I'd just managed to forget about it.

So there are, broadly speaking, two classes of "clothing explosions"? The class where it results from the girl getting hit, her clothing shreds and "explodes" away from her body, and the class where she causes the "explosion" by undergoing a transformation into a new form or skillset?

You know' date=' now that you mention it, I've seen [i']Cutey Honey[/i]; I'd just managed to forget about it.

So there are, broadly speaking, two classes of "clothing explosions"? The class where it results from the girl getting hit, her clothing shreds and "explodes" away from her body, and the class where she causes the "explosion" by undergoing a transformation into a new form or skillset?

I guess so. Seen a lot of the latter, not much of the former that I can readily recall.

Guest Black Lotus

You know' date=' now that you mention it, I've seen [i']Cutey Honey[/i]; I'd just managed to forget about it.

Pretty much.

I guess so. Seen a lot of the latter' date=' not much of the former that I can readily recall.[/quote']

I think clothing explosions of the former variety are more often seen in Hentacle (Hentai with tentacles) than anywhere else. Now myself, I've never watched a single "Magical Girl" anime, so I haven't seen any transformation other than Cutey Honey's... unless maybe in Sorcerer Hunters....

killing attack, linked to dispel cloths (honestly, how many active points are cloths built on?)

then just blast people until they are naked

The Nude Bomb

32 Active, 4 Real

1 pip RKA

Area of Effect: 32" Radius (+2)

Autofire 10 shots (+2)

Penetrating x2 (+1)

Affects Desolid (+½)

No Range (-½),

No Knockback (-¼)

1 Charge (-2), OAF Bomb (-1)

Gestures: Break bomb against solid surface (-¼)

Only vs. non-living clothing/costumes (-2)

The Nude Bomb

32 Active, 4 Real

1 pip RKA

Autofire 10 shots (+2)

Penetrating x2 (+1)

Affects Desolid (+½)

No Range (-½),

No Knockback (-¼)

I wonder if they will let me add that to my Teleporting Speedster's VPP.

Pretty much.

I think clothing explosions of the former variety are more often seen in Hentacle (Hentai with tentacles) than anywhere else. Now myself, I've never watched a single "Magical Girl" anime, so I haven't seen any transformation other than Cutey Honey's... unless maybe in Sorcerer Hunters....

Also in Gen13 with Fairchild, no matter how sturdy of clothes she found something big and powerful ended up hitting her and shredding her costume.

As for the second kind the Hulk/she hulk had the whole rip apart clothing when they changed thing going on with them.

The Nude Bomb

32 Active, 4 Real

1 pip RKA

Autofire 10 shots (+2)

Penetrating x2 (+1)

Affects Desolid (+½)

No Range (-½),

No Knockback (-¼)

Making it double penitrating means that any clothing even stuff like powered armor is effected, just something to consider before you drop this on someone.

Making it double penitrating means that any clothing even stuff like powered armor is effected' date=' just something to consider before you drop this on someone.[/quote']

The way I run things, something defined as powered armor is not going to be affected by it, because it's not clothing. :) Costumes made out of "bulletproof spandex" or whatever you call it...they'd be affected. But not powered armor.

And besides...there's nothing about the Penetrating Advantage that would make a "double dose" affect powered armor specifically when a single Penetrating wouldn't.

The Nude Bomb

32 Active, 4 Real

1 pip RKA

Autofire 10 shots (+2)

Penetrating x2 (+1)....

:sigh: When will people learn that Penetrating on a 1-pip KA does no good, as you cannot roll, "Normal Damage Body," on 1 pip? You need at least 1/2d6 for this kind of build. :)