My D&D 3e Arcane Magic Conversion

Killer Shrike

Wizardry is done (finally).

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/GreyHEROContent/Powers/Spells/Spells.asp?Source=PHB3e

I've still got a backlog of files from Shadowcat to slog thru, but currently there are 1400 or so spells between Wizardry and Elementalism which should be sufficient for most purposes.

Moving on to Bards.....

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got a chance to look through them. Quick question - what the heck is Sortilege and where is it in the book - the source says PHB3e, but its new on me, both in 3 and 3.5. Is there some other version or printing out there? I'm lost completely on that, and can't find reference elsewere on the site (although you have so much I might have missed it). Other than that it looks good so far as I can tell with the skimming I did. Thanks to you and everyone whose taken time to do that.

Originally posted by badger3k

Finally got a chance to look through them. Quick question - what the heck is Sortilege and where is it in the book - the source says PHB3e, but its new on me, both in 3 and 3.5. Is there some other version or printing out there? I'm lost completely on that, and can't find reference elsewere on the site (although you have so much I might have missed it). Other than that it looks good so far as I can tell with the skimming I did. Thanks to you and everyone whose taken time to do that.

Oops, all Sortilege spells should show "NEW". Ill get that fixed....

Its a new type of Spellcaster I added under the blanket grouping of Thaumaturgy.

Basically, I'm using Thaumaturgy as a catch-all group for "older" types of magic, from the perspective of Wizards and their fancified psuedo-scientific approach to magic. Its a place for me to put more niche types of magic.

Sortilgists just happen to be the first ones that I did. They are described here: http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/GreyHEROContent/PackageDeals/sortilegePackages.shtml

Thuamaturgy is described in summary form on the Arcane Magic page, along with Shamanism and Elementalism under Magic Skills.

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/GreyHEROContent/ArcaneMagic.shtml

• 4 weeks later...

Verbityk Elf (Racial Template)Been playing with HERO Designer v2 to make up Racial Templates, took Ed's adaptation of my elves which he calls "Verbityk Elves" to make up a .hdt, a .hdc, and exported it using Shrike's modified Message Board HTML Export Template, let's see how it all works:Verbityk Elf (Racial Template)Player: Ed "Killer Shrike" Hastings and Jason "Hierax" Verbitsky

Val Char Cost
6 STR -4
15 DEX 15
6 CON -8
6 BODY -8
15 INT 5
10 EGO 0
15 PRE 5
20 COM 5
1 PD 0
1 ED 0
4 SPD 15
2 REC 0
12 END 0
12 STUN 0
10" RUN82" SWIM03 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 33
Cost Power END
12 Elven Senses: +4 PER with all Sense Groups
5 Elven Eyes: Nightvision
10 Elven Mind: Mental Defense (22 points total) (20 Active Points); Only Works Against Sleep and Charm Effects (-1)
17 Mage Sight: Detect A Single Thing 14- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Range, Sense
7 Longevity: LS: 1600 Years; Immunity to Sleep: Life Support (Longevity: 1600 Years; Sleeping: Character does not sleep)
6 Archer's Strength: +12 STR (12 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only to Draw Bows (to offset STR Min) (-1/2) 1
Powers Cost: 57
Cost Skill
3 +1 with Bows
20 +3 with Animal Handler (Aquatic Animals, Birds, Bovines, Camels, Canines, Dragons, Elephants, Equines, Felines, Insects & Anthropods, Raptors, Reptiles & Amphibians, Ursines)
2 Elven Weapons Group: WF: Blades, Bows
Skills Cost: 25
Cost Talent
24 Danger Sense (immediate vicinity, out of combat, Function as a Sense, Intuitional) 14-
Talents Cost: 24
Val Disadvantages
20 Normal Characteristic Maxima
5 Distinctive Features - Elf: (Concealable with Magic), Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses, Not Distinctive In Some Cultures
15 Susceptibility - Iron and Steel: , 1d6 damage per Minute (Very Common)
15 Vulnerability - Iron and Steel: 1 1/2 x STUN (Very Common)
15 Vulnerability - Iron and Steel: 1 1/2 x BODY (Very Common)
Disadvantage Points: 70

Base Points: 150Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 139

Background: Verbityk Elves are very rare, appearing only in small pockets in the deep forests of the World of Greyhawk. Thought to be related to the Grugach and perhaps the Snow Elves, Verbityk Elves are more closely connected with their Faerie heritage than most of their cousin Races. They have a dire sensitivity to ferrous metal, which encourages them to avoid proximity to the races of Dwarves and Men, who favor Iron based equipment. Smaller than most other Races of Elves, Verbityk Elves are also superbly graceful and exquisitely beautiful as a rule. They are equally as likely to favor archery or Arcane Magic, with many of their number mastering both.

NOTE: This Package represents a "powered up", Celtic flavored Elf Race with a Vulnerability to Iron & Steel, but otherwise solidly superior to most other Race Packages.

GM's Permission is required to play a Verbityk Elf as they may not exist in the Campaign Setting.

Originally posted by Hierax

Ed, FWIW, there's a slight glitch with the Export Template, it changes the 6 STR into 18 STR -- it must not be excluding the +12 STR for the Elven "Archer's Strength", I had to manually change it for the message boards.

When you add STR (or any Characteristic) as a Power, there should be a drop down box at the top of the dialog to the effect of "Add to Primary", "Add to Secondary", and "Do not Add to Totals". You generally want either Add to Secondary or Do Not Add, but it defaults to Add to Primary.

If that doesnt fix it, its the Export Template. The one you are using is older (theres a newer one I did that outputs the sheet pretty much identically to the normal HTML based character sheet, w/ CSS styling, and black print on white bg), and I may have done it b4 the Export tag was available to parse up the characteristics more finely. I know later Export Templates I did have the more correct broken out characteristics.

Doing the same one as Heirax for comparison purposes.

Combat Information Page

Character Name:

Alternate Identities: Verbityk Elf

Player Name:

attachment.php?s=&postid=101723
CHARACTERISTICS CHARACTER IMAGE
Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes
6 STR 10 -4 6/18 10- / 13- HTH Damage 1d6/3 1/2d6 END [1]
15 DEX 10 15 15 12- OCV 5 DCV 5
6 CON 10 -8 6 10-
6 BODY 10 -8 6 10-
15 INT 10 5 15 12- PER Roll 16-
10 EGO 10 0 10 11- ECV: 3
15 PRE 10 5 15 12- PRE Attack: 3d6
20 COM 10 5 20 13-

1 PD 1 0 1   1 PD (0 rPD)
1 ED 1 0 1   1 ED (0 rED)
4 SPD 2.5 15 4   Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12
2 REC 2 0 2  
12 END 12 0 12  
12 STUN 12 0 12    
10" Running 6 8 10"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
1"/0 1/2"" Leaping 1 0 1"/3" 33 Total Characteristics Points
EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 0
Spent: 20
Unspent: 0
Base Points: 50
Disad Points: 75
Total Points: 145
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 10" [20" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (1") 1"/3 1/2"
V. Leap (1") 0 1/2"/1 1/2"
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  Silver or Gold
Eye Color:  Violet to Lavender
Height:  6' 0"
Weight:  100 lbs
Description:
Smaller than most other Races of Elves, Verbityk Elves are also superbly graceful and exquisitely beautiful as a rule. They are equally as likely to favor archery or Arcane Magic, with many of their number mastering both.

DEFENSES
Type Amount Notes
Physical Defense 1 Current BODY:
Res. Phys. Defense 0  
Energy Defense 1 Current END:
Res. Energy Defense 0  
Mental Defense 22 Current STUN:
Power Defense 0  
COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 5 DCV: 5

Combat Skill Levels: +1 with all Bows
COMBAT MANEUVERS
Maneuver Phase OCV DCV Effect
Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, abort
Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod.
Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm
Dodge 1/2 -- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks
Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs
Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab
Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4 DC attack damage
Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5
Move Through 1/2 -v/5 -3 STR + v/3
Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged Attacks only
Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon
COMBAT MODIFIERS
Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS
Cost  Power END
7 Archers Strength: +12 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (18 Active Points); Only to Offset STR Min of Bows (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)
21 Magesight: Detect Magic 16- (no Sense Group), Discriminatory, Range, Sense
12 Elven Senses: +4 PER with all Sense Groups
5 Elven Eyes: Nightvision
10 Elven Mind: MD (22 points total) (20 Active Points); Only vs Sleep/Charm Effects (-1)
7 LS (Longevity 1600 Years; Sleeping Character does not sleep)
62 Total Powers Cost
TALENTS
Cost  Name
20 Animal Friendship
25 Elven Awareness: Danger Sense (immediate vicinity, out of combat, Function as a Sense, Intuitional) 15-
45 Total Talents Cost

SKILLS
Cost  Name
3 Elven Archery: +1 with all Bows
2 Elven Weapons Group: WF: Blades, Bows, Elven Weapons Group Discount, Spears
5 Total Skills Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
20 Verbityk Elf Characteristic Maxima
5 DF: Verbityk Elf (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
20 Susceptibility: Iron & Steel, 1d6 damage Instant and then per Minute (Very Common)
15 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN Iron & Steel (Very Common)
15 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY Iron & Steel (Very Common)
75 Total Disadvantages Cost
Height: 6' 0" Hair: Silver or Gold
Weight: 100 lbs Eyes: Violet to Lavender
Appearance: Smaller than most other Races of Elves, Verbityk Elves are also superbly graceful and exquisitely beautiful as a rule. They are equally as likely to favor archery or Arcane Magic, with many of their number mastering both.
Personality: 
Quote:
Background: 
Powers/Tactics: 
Campaign Use: Verbityk Elves are very rare, appearing only in small pockets in the deep forests of the World of Greyhawk. Thought to be related to the Grugach and perhaps the Snow Elves, Verbityk Elves are more closely connected with their Faerie heritage than most of their cousin Races. They have a dire sensitivity to ferrous metal, which encourages them to avoid proximity to the races of Dwarves and Men, who favor Iron based equipment.
Character created with Hero Designer (version 2.06)

Ok, noticed a few things that need to be fixed on the Verbityk Elf write up.

Only vs Sleep/Charm for MD was priced correctly, but the lim value is a typo -- it should be -1 not -2.

Archers STR needs No Figured Char applied to it

Now that Im able to change the NCM directly in HD, SPD is no longer bought as a Power in 10 point increments, so I got back 5 points from figureds there. I used the 5 points to make Archers STR 0 END and to bump Mage Sight up to 16-

Susceptibility

Coming along nicely, Ed,

I noticed that you changed the Susceptibility from "Per Minute" to use the "Per Turn" cost and kept the "Per Minute" description but added and instant.

Not to be dense but, I want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding the rule, why the modification?

THANKS!

P.S. FWIW, I'll make up a Template for my own version of Elves when the 2.07 update comes out as I'll need to use the new MD method.

Originally posted by zarglif69

Jeez, how many times do I have to tell you guys!?!!? if you want to play D&D, go ahead and PLAY D&D!!! you don't have to use HERO to do it.

And how many times do we have to tell you we arent playing D&D? Some people just never get it, I guess.

But thanks for telling me what to do with my own free time. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zarglif69

Alright, sorry bout all that, but why do you keep on insisting on converting Greyhawk and its magic? it's just the same as any other badly-made high fantasy setting, a cobbled-together mishmash of Earth's legends and stuff stolen from Tolkein. Then, there's the magic. It defies all definitions of magic!! Magic is not supposed to be tiered into neatly organized levels and classes and whatnot. The wizards who manipulate it are more like scientists that the wizards they're supposed to be.

Alright, sorry bout all that, but why do you keep on insisting on converting Greyhawk and its magic? it's just the same as any other badly-made high fantasy setting, a cobbled-together mishmash of Earth's legends and stuff stolen from Tolkein. Then, there's the magic. It defies all definitions of magic!! Magic is not supposed to be tiered into neatly organized levels and classes and whatnot. The wizards who manipulate it are more like scientists that the wizards they're supposed to be.

OMG! You are so right! How wrong of me to enjoy playing my hobby as I see fit all these years! Please, oh enlightened one, fill the sudden void of hobby time youve just created by revealing unto me the vast transgressions I have commited in my choice of recreation lo these 2 decades past! Tell me what I should like and how to play, so that I may do it correctly.

You are veritable beacon in the darkness, a brilliant lighthouse shining a burning torch of clarity through the fog of my obviously flawed preferences!

:rolleyes:

Now, for the last time, your opinions have been noted, please stop posting "you are all idiots for doing this" posts. Move along please, nothing to see, just a hedge.

Originally posted by Southern Cross

Thanks for all the hard work, Killer Shrike.Did you check out the last issue of DRAGON magazine? It was essentially a series of articles on most of TSR's old campaign settings.One of the articles was for the Al-Quadim sha'ir character class.That's right,they converted the Sha'ir class to D&D.

Interested?

Thanx! As it happens, I did pick it up on a whim -- I havent picked up a copy since I let my subscription lapse (roughly around the time FRED was released ;)) because I saw the Greyhawk blurb on the cover.

I might take a stab on the Shair actually, in a few weeks perhaps. I was just talking to WilyQ, whose working on a desert based culture for the shared world Im building w/ my players for our next FH campaign. A modified version of the Sha'ir might work for one of the cultures we've thumbnailed in.

Guest zarglif69
Originally posted by Killer Shrike

OMG! You are so right! How wrong of me to enjoy playing my hobby as I see fit all these years! Please, oh enlightened one, fill the sudden void of hobby time youve just created by revealing unto me the vast transgressions I have commited in my choice of recreation lo these 2 decades past! Tell me what I should like and how to play, so that I may do it correctly.

You are veritable beacon in the darkness, a brilliant lighthouse shining a burning torch of clarity through the fog of my obviously flawed preferences!

:rolleyes:

Now, for the last time, your opinions have been noted, please stop posting "you are all idiots for doing this" posts. Move along please, nothing to see, just a hedge.

Well, I'm just suggesting you might try a setting that's a little more original and flavorful...

Well, I'm just suggesting you might try a setting that's a little more original and flavorful...

Sounds great. When youve got your website up and running detailing your idea of an orignal and flavorful setting, you let me know and Ill post a link to it. In the meantime, have a nice life.

Guest zarglif69
Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Sounds great. When youve got your website up and running detailing your idea of an orignal and flavorful setting, you let me know and Ill post a link to it. In the meantime, have a nice life.

Life!?!? Whaddaya mean life?!!? I have no life!!!