Gravity Trap

Need a second opinon or three...

I'm trying to build an area-effect gravity trap for a Champions scenario, and am having trouble getting the effect I want. The idea is simple: the villain cranks up the gravity in a hex or two, and the heroes become too heavy to move, `tho they may still be able to use some powers/foci. Strong characters have a chance of fighting it, or at least crawling out of the hex.

The obvious choice is to use Telekinesis (only to pull objects to the floor) as discussed in SH and other places. But making it a simple STR-vs-STR roll to break free seemed too simple and too all-or-nothing for how I see this working.

Ideally, it should be based on encumberance, simulating the hero's body & gear getting too heavy to move. But because of the linear increase in lifting capacity -- and I have no desire to reopen the whole linear-vs-exponential argument here! -- even a force of 10 Gs (50 STR) will only inflict 63% encumberance on a 30-STR character, slowing their movement by all of 2"! To actually get a 30-STR character to 100% encumberance, you have to go up to 16Gs! (Math note: I ran the numbers based on a 100kg character carrying 10kg of gear.)

I also tried creating it as an entangle that takes no damage from attacks, but that doesn't work quite the way I want either. I thought about using change environment, but that seemed too munchkiney.

Any other suggestions?

bigdamnhero

“Cancelled TV shows don’t usually get made into major studio pictures... We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.†– Joss Whedon

Serenity premieres 9/30

Re: Gravity Trap

Well... first of all, "Lifting STR" is just about the only thing that everyone agrees is exponential... but anyhow...

One of your problems, is that you are trying to encumber a guy that can lift 1.6 metric tons. This is an extremely powerful character, who is 16x as strong as a 10 STR character.

I know you've read Star HERO, but I would like to point out that 5 STR is 1 G, +5 STR gives you +1 G... and Heavy Worlders have +5 STR above what's needed for the gravity they normally live in. Thus, a 30 STR character should be quite comfortable, (though of average strength for that environment), in 5 G's.

Also, though there are numerous ways to end up with a 30 STR character in a SH game, most of these characters are going to weigh more than 100kg. The fact that you are starting with such a relatively light body weight, is one of the major reasons you're having such a hard time making it seem heavy to this guy.

90% encumbrance will give -5 to DCV/Dex Rolls, -8" to Movement, and cost the character 4 END per Turn.

If you changed the character's body weight to 150kg and kept the 10kg equipment, 10 G's would put him at 90.6% encumbrance... if you changed it to 200kg, 8 G's would put him at 92.5%. Naked, you would have to re-calculate.

For a character with a 30 STR, body weight of 100kg, and carrying 10kg... I was able to put him at 5kg over 100% encumbrance with 15.5 G's, and 90% encumbrance, with 14 G's.

A large Supress STR would probably do the trick.

Just a quick odd question on the power you want: taken from the SFX you want a character to expend effort, ie END to use STR, to get out of the field - what happens in the case of someone who has 0END for STR and movement through any gravitational field doesn't actually require "effort" on their part? Or does the field simply require them to use more STR to move?

You might even make it a Supress NND (to bypass that pesky Power Def) and define the defenses as "safe in High Pressure and STR costs 0END"

Annother weird aproach is based on what you want the effect to be....Supress or drain vs movement. RSR: STR roll, the person pays for his str use and can push as usual if he makes the roll he moves, if he fails he might be stuck, or move real slow...I beleive there is a "Contest" version of RSR available....this might also be a nice CE effect -X movement, Run,Flight Etc, RSR:STR contest add in SE:Enviromental (high gee) and you just might be close...

Well... first of all' date=' "Lifting STR" is just about the only thing that everyone agrees is exponential... but anyhow...[/quote']

Like I said - not looking to go there. ;) (Actually I agree, I just didn't want to re-open that particular can of worms here.)

Thus' date=' a 30 STR character should be quite comfortable, (though of average strength for that environment), in 5 G's.[/quote']

Point taken. Which means 10 Gs to him would "feel" like 2 Gs to you & me, in which case the encumberance adds up about right. OK, I'll buy that.

most of these characters are going to weigh more than 100kg.

Right, I just took 100kg as the "average" body size to start with.

what happens in the case of someone who has 0END for STR and movement through any gravitational field doesn't actually require "effort" on their part? Or does the field simply require them to use more STR to move?

Hmm...Hadn't really thought about it that way. The intent is for everyone to have to struggle to get out, whether they burn personal END or END Reserve or whatever. People with device-based movement (magic surfboards, etc) should probably be able to use their movement to try and get out. Sounds like maybe suppress STR and movement?

Thanks!

bigdamnhero

"Rasputin, bring in the bucket of soapy frogs and remove his trousers!"

I think an AoE TK with, "Only to Add to Targets' Encumberence (-3/2)," works (that's what I think the Limitation would be worth; feel free to come up with your own value). Of course, I don't know why the resistence to using Change Envrionment for this, as this kind of thing is what the Power is designed for.

From your description of what you want as the effect, this is an Entangle with some funky sfx.

I think this becomes more obvious if you think about what you want to have happen to fliers who may get caught in the trap. Someone butt-naked with Flight ought to come plummeting to the ground, and without an Entangle effect you need some odd mechanics to make this happen.

From your description of what you want as the effect, this is an Entangle with some funky sfx.

I think this becomes more obvious if you think about what you want to have happen to fliers who may get caught in the trap. Someone butt-naked with Flight ought to come plummeting to the ground, and without an Entangle effect you need some odd mechanics to make this happen.

(cough) Change Environment (cough)

Here is a Gravity based character; he might serve as a source of ideas:

http://www.killershrike.com/MillennialMen/CharacterFiles/Gravitic.HTML

I'll check this out. Recently I was trying see how to "cost out" this sort of thing (actually a simple gravity reversal effect), and never got an answer I was really happy with. Thanks.

I'm working on a gravity-manipulator for an upcoming game myself, and the solution I came up with was Change Environment to minus inches of movement from everyone in the area. Characters can Push their STR to Run or Leap while in the affected area, but if the CE removes all their movement, they're immobilized, but can still use foci etc.

Use Density Increase AoE, Usable as an Attack, with a +1 custom Addvantage Positive Affects are not applied. Ta da! Weak characters won't have the strength to move their own bodies and stronger characters might be able to fight their way out.