Are the MC8 worth it?

FenrisUlf

That is, are they worth the time & cash it would take to get their info from Digital Hero? Just how cool and interesting are the characters? I already have the sheets for Steadfast and the Lady Law, and I think they're pretty well-done. Does the rest of the team match up?

And just how does the whole thing with DH work? If I pay $5, will that be enough to run off a copy of all of issue 13 if I want it, or is it only good for one article from the issue? It's a dumb question, I know, but I am curious.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Are the MC8 worth it?

And just how does the whole thing with DH work? If I pay $5, will that be enough to run off a copy of all of issue 13 if I want it, or is it only good for one article from the issue? It's a dumb question, I know, but I am curious.

The $5 gets you a PDF of the entire issue. Of course, since it is an electronic magazine, if you want to print it out in hardcopy, you'll have to do that yourself.

I think the MC-8 are great, but I am, for reasons that are known to many here, very biased ;)

Still, the reviews on them from many were IIRC, quite positive and you might be able to search up Bolo's review on that issue in the Digital Hero section of the forums. That might help you decide if you think the various articles in that issue are right for you or not. Frankly, considering Darren's great peek into the Sentinels of yesteryear in his article as well, it's a great issue for Champions lovers. IMO, natch.

EDIT: Here's a link to Bolo of Earth's Review on the entire issue:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=134410&postcount=1

Commando Rubberbando alone is freakin' hilarious. It's like they crossed Animated John Stewart and Elongated Man.

You forgot the exclaimation point... seriously, that name just doesn't sound right without at least one behind it.

Commando Rubberbando!!!!!

Well, it looks like I'll be shelling out $5 then.

But hoe does it arrive? Is it just sent to your e-mail account, or do you get a floppy disk in the mail or what? This is a first for me, and as I don't have home e-mail, I'm not too sure what to expect.

PS -- Unrelated question, but: is the 'Reynard the Fox' character mentioned in YGHC based on the modern version of the legend or the older, nastier stories?

I agree on the 10 pack being a better value btw, DH has been a great buy for me and I'm not just shilling because I'm in a couple of the recent ones. ;) Long before I managed to work up my courage to submit anything, I was getting a lot of use out of DH and happily plunking down my 30 bucks for a ten pack when I could.

Now, how it works. You purchase your credit(s) and log in to the Digital Hero screen. It gives you an HTML page that shows all of the issues you have not purchased on the right side and a blank field on the left for all the ones you have purchased. You click on the issue you want, a dialog box pops up and asks you to confirm your purchase of the issue. If you say yes, it transfers from the right side to the left. You can now access that issue by logging in to DH any time you want and then click on the purchased issue. So you can download it and then if you are at work, just log in to Digital Hero and access it from there as well. Hopefully that made sense. I do recommend Downloading it and stsoring it somewhere safe, as does Hero Games.

This system has worked great when inspiration struck at work and I needed to double check something or I had access to a high speed printer and a couple reams of paper. ;)

I agree on the 10 pack being a better value btw, DH has been a great buy for me and I'm not just shilling because I'm in a couple of the recent ones. ;) -----------

I do recommend Downloading it and storing it somewhere safe, as does Hero Games.

. ;)

AND, I might add, after storing said files, BACKING THEM UP. another tremendous bonus of buying a 10 pack is that you are ( and check me on this..) invited to playtest and testread upcoming materials from HERO games! (It's like my dream job without the money! )

Not to take away from the wealth of material available from the DH's them selves..the MC8 is but ONE group chronicled in DH, the Temporal league, Euroguard, and the Choir are just a few more groups chronicled...I am also proud to say I have all the printed Adventurers Club as well...( Some may get that )

Okay' date=' so I've gotten the subscription and downloaded #13. Now, what are the other 9 of the 30 odd issues remaining that are most worthwhile to download?[/quote']

That depends on what you are looking for. Some play mostly Fantasy HERO, some play mostly Champions, etc, and of course, some play many :) Each issue has different articles on different genres... some are more Champions heavy, a few are more Star HERO heavy, so what you are looking for has a lot to do with which you'd want.

Are you looking for anything in particular? Supervillain or Superhero teams? Settings, New Martial Arts?

Well, let’s see, if you are looking for more NPC super hero teams; one I decided I had to take a peek at when I ordered a few back issues was DH#26, with the Colorado Crusaders by Bill Keyes. The way they assembled is a hoot, though unity is not their strong point.

I had the pleasure of working with Bill (a gent of a guy) to co write Euroguard in DH#31. Euroguard is meant to be a counterforce to Eurostar, and of course, is set in Europe (though there should be no trouble in arranging for them to visit North America under one reason or another). In their case, they’re a bit more polished, but with a few problems of their own.

I can’t recommend Darren Watts’ HERO universe articles enough. You can really see the work that went into shaping the setting by observing the Golden and Silver Age NPCs of the Sentinels etc. Some are more current, like Star*Guard so you will probably want to pick and choose which best suits your setting needs, but even the ‘past’ heroes of the setting are great inspiration for Legacy characters of your own creation. They're in too many issues for me to go and look up right away, but a quick glance at the table of contents in the sample sections should fill you in before you decide which to buy.

I haven't read DH#23, but if you like Time Travel stories you might look at Temporal Champions by James Jandebeur.

There's a lot more I'm missing, and much of it excellent, and I haven't even gotten to the supervillains yet. :)

Thanks for all the helpful words.

I'll be 'testing the waters' with a one-credit order this week coming. Though I'll almost certainly wind up ordering more; this stuff looks great!

And if we're talking about 'what you like the best', then I'm most interested in Champions/superheroes, more characters and the history of their world.

Thanks for all the helpful words.

I'll be 'testing the waters' with a one-credit order this week coming. Though I'll almost certainly wind up ordering more; this stuff looks great!

And if we're talking about 'what you like the best', then I'm most interested in Champions/superheroes, more characters and the history of their world.

I enjoyed reading the Sentinels character information. Unfortunately, Darren stopped writing it about 1 year back. To me the Hero Universe material was the best part of the magazine. Not that I don't like the independent contributions but since published CU material is limited I prefer to see whatever cream I mine from the magazine.