Essence of Desriability

Recent discussion of characters like C-ko has made me ponder how to build an Essence of Desrability power. This power would essentially mean nthat everyone who comes into contact with the character likes them and wants to posess their company almost exclusively. Depending on the observer, this could represent paternnal/maternal feelings, romantic/.sexual desire, hero worship -- but whateevr the effect the observer will want to simply bask in the character's presence as long as possible, and seek to prevent their rivals from doing so.

C-ko and certain other characters would also have Phsyical Limitation: Looks Younger Than They Really Are -- the character is actually a teenager or young adult, but can frequently be mistaken for a pre-teen child.

A variation on the first power would be You Are Too Cute!, in which the character is just so adorable that you simply cannot bring yourself to resent or envy them when they show themselves to have abilities, skills and resources that you lack. An example from anhime would be Chiyo Mihama -- brilliant, rich, resourceful, and so sweet and adorable that absolutely no one considers her a rival or competitor.

Re: Essence of Desriability

A mixture of COM (defined as super cuteness) and large amounts of PRE with a specific use (e.g. "Only To Make Others Like You," "Only To Be Adorable," and so on). A good recommendation is to make this PRE Attack work versus EGO and not PRE. Means that the scary tough guy may still get "seduced" by the aura of cuteness due to only have 10 EGO.

Other options include Mind Control, Area Of Effect (Radius); Always On, No Range, Set Effect (Aren't I Cute?), Mental Illusions (similar Advantages and Limitations), or a Change Environment that lowers other's PRE and/or EGO Rolls around the character in question.

I think that a limitation would be more appropriate:

20 Distintive Features: Essence of Desireablity. Conealable, Extreme Reaction

Unfortunates who have this DF inspire an instictive gut reaction from those around the character that ultimately results in their wanting to stay around him or her for as long as the character will let them (and sometimes even longer, depending on their Psychological Limitations.

It isn't all bad. The character with this lim gets his or her way a lot more (treat the char as having +5 PRE for Persuasion attempts), and anger that should be vented towards the character is directed instead towards the people around him or her (usually the closest, and most devoted, of the character's admirers). However, those affected usually want to monopolize the character's time and attention, and view all others attracted to the character as competition to be fended off, violently, if necesary. Worse, if the character already has his or her sights set on someone (this person quickly becomes the closest, most devoted admirer) all the other admirers will often develop a hatred for that person (said person should have at least 1 Hunted/Rivalry pertaining to the character) and do their best to replace that person as the Character's Best Liked.

As a general guide to how those affected will react;

Those older than the character's Peer Group but not romantically/sexually attracted to the character: Will take a grandparental attitude towards the character and try to spoil him or her rotten. If the character does anything wrong in the (grand)parent's presence, the Most Devoted will be blamed for it, saying that the MD should've been watching him/her closer (as if the character is a small child, incapable of understanding the consequences (and thus, incapable of taking responsibility for) of his or her actions. Note that these people will see the character as a child and will act to keep the character from engaging in any dangerous activity. It doesn't matter if the character is powerful enough to whip Darkseid 2 falls out of 3, isnsisting on running out to save the world will end in the character being sent to his room and the MD being chastised for putting fool ideas into the character's head.

Those in the character's Peer Group but not romantically/sexually attracted to the character: will take a 'big sibling' attitude towards the character, watching out for the cahracter, steering him/her away from 'bad folk' (the Most Devoted is usually considered to be 'bad folk' by these people, even when he/she's part of their peer group) and generally trying to keep the character as close as possible. If the character does anything wrong in their presence, the Most Devoted will be blamed for it, saying that the MD is bad for the character to be around. Like the (grand)parents, they'll insist on the character running away when trouble rears it's ugly head and try to sacrifice themselves to distract the onrushing threat (although they're more likely to toss the MD at the threat and run off with the character).

Those younger than the character's Peer Group: treat the character like he or she is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The character is their personal hero (or have a crush on the character if romantically/sexually attracted to him or her) and can do no wrong (that's left to the Most Devoted, of course). The Most Devoted will quickly learn why young children are called 'ankle-biters'. If a threat should appear and the character is in the presence of this crowd, the character will be quickly trotted out to face it by the rugrats, who have absolute confidice that the character can defeat the threat as easily as s/he crosses the street. Likewise, the MD will be barred from getting anywhere near the fight, since the youths are sure that the MD will 'jinx' the character.

Those Romantically/ Sexually attracted to the character: will be a constant pain. If they're not trying to kill the Most Devoted, they're trying to slip around the MD or worse, trying to use the MD to get to the character, then try to bump the MD out of the picture. They'll often have other Psych Lims that'll determine how pushy they are. In the event of an onrushing threat, however, these folk will try to sabotage any actions taken by both the character (No, no, my dear. Fighting such a creature is below one such as you), and the MD ([Martial throws the MD to the ground, right in front of the monster du jour] I shall defeat this horrible creature for the Lady most fair. And while she's showering me with the appreciation I deserve, she'll hardly think of your fate. Bon Apetit!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shiko would have, along with Essesnse of Desireability, the Physical Limitation: Lolita Body and the Psych Lim: Immature.

You have just summed up the essence of why Tenchi Masaki consdiers himself only slightly worse off than a damned soul.

Just about any Anime:Romantic-Comedy:Harem character gets this one, to a greater or lesser degree. You could even think of it as being similar to CvK in DC; lower intensities have slightly different effects, not just lower across the board.

Recent discussion of characters like C-ko has made me ponder how to build an Essence of Desrability power. This power would essentially mean nthat everyone who comes into contact with the character likes them and wants to posess their company almost exclusively. Depending on the observer' date=' this could represent paternnal/maternal feelings, romantic/.sexual desire, hero worship -- but whateevr the effect the observer will want to simply bask in the character's presence as long as possible, and seek to prevent their rivals from doing so.[/quote']

Comeliness-- Always On, Independant. "okay, it's your phase; roll your Comeliness Attack!" :D

Okay, that's a bit tongue-in-cheek, but these are the sort of things I use to get my mind rolling.

Though treating it as some version of PRE attack-- at least to determine the 'level of desire' based on COM vs EGO comes to mind.

The higher the 'success' against EGO, the more powerful the desire/commitment. Perhaps subsequent encounters will allow the 'victim' chances to EGO roll out of the 'spell,' with modifiers based on how pleasant/unpleasant the previous encounter was.....

Just thinking out loud, mind you. I am really no suggesting that this is the way to go.

Acually, I was thinking more along the lines of Shiko Kotobuki and Akane Tendo when I came up with the disad, due to the fact that those two get special treatment by their admirers because they're percieved as being helpless (even Akane's gang of 'admirers' each believed that by defeating her, he was saving her from her other suitors). Tenchi (and many other Harem targets) aren't perceived as helpless by their suitors (or by anyone else), so I'd give them the Social Limitation Chick Magnet (the male version of Jerk Magnet).

Tenchi does have similar problems to Akane in that regard, in that the most powerful women in his life tend to underestimate his abilities. And in Tenchi's case, that rubs off on him -- he cannot use his most powerful abilities at will, and is so used to being smothered that only extremely powerful stimuli will enable him to use his powers at full force.

In Americomics, didn't Spider-Man have Chick Magnet-style issues related to his dual identity (everyone thought Peter Parker was a dork, but wasn't that Spider-Man dude cool?)

I had several characters who purchased the Physical Limitation:

Magically Delicious.

It was defined as the character being fundamentally more attractive, tasty, relevant or mana-fortified in the eyes of mystic monsters or villains who had need of people as sacrifices, sources of spare parts, mana or whatever.

Hillarity ensued.

Magically Delicious.

It was defined as the character being fundamentally more attractive, tasty, relevant or mana-fortified in the eyes of mystic monsters or villains who had need of people as sacrifices, sources of spare parts, mana or whatever.

Hillarity ensued.

Goofy name, granted, but that is a truly inspired Limitation. And it so beautifully explains why you-the-PC get more Scheiße dumped on you than any twenty "normal" people. I like it! Consider it "sampled"; hey, if no-talent R&B "artists" can steal good work, mix it up a little, and pretend they did something creative, why not me?

Magically Delicious.

Hillarity ensued.

My Fantasy Hero bard had this power .... her most often used phrase was "Don't eat me! I taste terrible!!" ... though, she did outlive 3 parties of PCs. so maybe not.

Either way, I like it a lot. v.cool Disadvantage.