Pulp Adventures -- What Would *You* Like To See?

Steve Long

As I hope you've all seen (and bought!:)) by now, we've got a couple of new Hero Plus Adventures for Pulp Hero in the Online Store. I'm currently putting the finishing touches on an HPA for Champions (The Dragon Mandarin) and will soon be working on a couple more for PH. Since none of my ideas immediately leap out and cry "Me! Me! Write me first!" to me right now, I figured I'd see if any of them were of particularly strong interest to Herodom Assembled, or if y'all had any other ideas for adventures you'd like to see.

So, here's what's on my idea list:

The Locomotive Pirates: A crimebusting adventure that pits the heroes against a gang that robs moving trains in a mysterious manner. This one I have to write up soon, because I plan to run it at a couple of upcoming conventions. ;)

Archaeology adventures: I have an old AC article that I wrote with four briefly-described adventures with archaeological themes. I could either spiff that article up and publish it as-is, or expand some (or all) of them into stand-alone adventures. The best of the lot is probably The Golden Idol Of Sikral, which features a lost Central American civilization and a temple crawl, but they could all be turned into fun scenarios.

Inner-Earth: A "hollow Earth" setting with dinosaurs, cavemen, remnants of ancient civilizations, blah blah blah. Like Solar Smith, this one would actually be a mini-setting more than a true adventure.

The Chinese Lamp: A crimebusting adventure involving our big bad Oriental mastermind, Dr. Fang. Probably needs to wait until Masterminds And Madmen comes out, since Dr. F is in that book.

Curse Of The Mummy: A murder mystery, probably set in the British Museum, possibly involving a tontine. Just a vague idea right now.

So, what sounds good to you? Any other ideas?

Re: Pulp Adventures -- What Would *You* Like To See?

One of the reasons my ideas on CotM are so vague is that murder mysteries are, as you say, very difficult to do well for gaming. In addition to the basic difficulty of writing a mystery for a group of heroes rather than one character, unless you know what all the PCs are like, predicting what they can/might do in pursuit of the solution is tough.

I'm wondering if you could reverse engineer it with storytelling.

Give the PCs the solution, of who murdered who and possibly how before the adventure begins.

Then the PCs can roleplay and invent the clues, the suspects, the alibis and the motives. Although in the case of the alibis it would more of one PC wishing to frame suspect A creates the alibi for other suspects.

The PC stalks into a room they wish to find a clue, make a search roll - if they succeed they create the clue. It doesn't need a reason yet, until they have researched it more or find some other corroborating evidence. At that stage they'll have to create reasons for the clue and who it relates too.

The PCs that gather the most clues and investigate the most successfully should be given the honour of the denoumont.

I'd like to see an adventure where the Players have to work with the bad guys (Nazi?) in order to achieve a certain goal. Once the goal is achieved, they have to either keep the Nazi's from taking to results and using it for their own purposes.

Guest HeroPink!

As I hope you've all seen (and bought!:)) by now' date=' we've got a couple of new Hero Plus Adventures for [i']Pulp Hero[/i] in the Online Store. I'm currently putting the finishing touches on an HPA for Champions (The Dragon Mandarin) and will soon be working on a couple more for PH. Since none of my ideas immediately leap out and cry "Me! Me! Write me first!" to me right now, I figured I'd see if any of them were of particularly strong interest to Herodom Assembled, or if y'all had any other ideas for adventures you'd like to see.

The Locomotive Pirates: A crimebusting adventure that pits the heroes against a gang that robs moving trains in a mysterious manner. This one I have to write up soon, because I plan to run it at a couple of upcoming conventions. ;)

Archaeology adventures: I have an old AC article that I wrote with four briefly-described adventures with archaeological themes. I could either spiff that article up and publish it as-is, or expand some (or all) of them into stand-alone adventures. The best of the lot is probably The Golden Idol Of Sikral, which features a lost Central American civilization and a temple crawl, but they could all be turned into fun scenarios.

Inner-Earth: A "hollow Earth" setting with dinosaurs, cavemen, remnants of ancient civilizations, blah blah blah. Like Solar Smith, this one would actually be a mini-setting more than a true adventure.

The Chinese Lamp: A crimebusting adventure involving our big bad Oriental mastermind, Dr. Fang. Probably needs to wait until Masterminds And Madmen comes out, since Dr. F is in that book.

Curse Of The Mummy: A murder mystery, probably set in the British Museum, possibly involving a tontine. Just a vague idea right now.

The Archaeology adventures sounds best to me, the hollow earth the worst (I just can't get past the fact it wouldn't work cause of simple science).

What I'd love to see is "Pirates of the South China Sea." Can't explain it, but the South China Sea always seems so mysterious & attractive to me; maybe just cause of the name. And there were pirates there in the Pulp Era! Cool place & enemies! :)

The best of the lot is probably The Golden Idol Of Sikral' date='[/b'] which features a lost Central American civilization and a temple crawl, but they could all be turned into fun scenarios.

A lot of these sound very good.

CotM is very intriguing, again I think because of the name. Perhaps you could downplay the mystery aspect and turn it into more of a chase. Across Europe, on the Orient Express to Istanbul, then to Egypt for the climax. Have clues along the way for PCs to find, but hand-wave the details. Just provide cluse and some scenes for players to experince. Let the GM chose exactly what happens (and talk about this in the begining.)

(From Turkey, they simply must take a boat to Egypt. Give some good historical background on the Turquoise Coast for players, and check out Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain.)

I love the hollow earth one. Very Prof. Challenger. The Golden Idol sounds very Prof. Challenger also. Maybe introduce a re-occuring NPC who is the PCs patron in both adventures?

For Inner Earth, give a nod to real science and don't make the earth hollow, just use large caverns and lava tubes that ol' Prof. C has figured out where to find. Only go down to the Mohorovicic discontinuity for Prof. C to get his "sample." Note: it *is* ok if the PCs find "something else" along the way that changes their plans. (Underground civilization?)

As I hope you've all seen (and bought!:)) by now' date=' we've got a couple of new Hero Plus Adventures for [i']Pulp Hero[/i] in the Online Store. I'm currently putting the finishing touches on an HPA for Champions (The Dragon Mandarin) and will soon be working on a couple more for PH. Since none of my ideas immediately leap out and cry "Me! Me! Write me first!" to me right now, I figured I'd see if any of them were of particularly strong interest to Herodom Assembled, or if y'all had any other ideas for adventures you'd like to see.

All of these sound good. I do agree that the murder-mystery part would be hard to write for an RPG. I would favor the Inner-Earth over all else, with the Train one being a close second.

The Locomotive Pirates: A crimebusting adventure that pits the heroes against a gang that robs moving trains in a mysterious manner. This one I have to write up soon, because I plan to run it at a couple of upcoming conventions.

I'm leaning towards this adventure. Fights on a speeding train really get the adrenalin pumping. Especially if you have to speed drop or offload using a plane or other speeding vehichle!

Jak

Archaeology adventures: I have an old AC article that I wrote with four briefly-described adventures with archaeological themes. I could either spiff that article up and publish it as-is' date=' or expand some (or all) of them into stand-alone adventures. The best of the lot is probably [b']The Golden Idol Of Sikral,[/b] which features a lost Central American civilization and a temple crawl, but they could all be turned into fun scenarios.

Well, to me the Hollow Earth and archaeological adventures sound best. Though I wouldn't mind seeing your take on 'Weird Menace' of the Fu Manchu type either.

I have some vague ideas for a Weird Menace adventure or two, but nothing that's really gelled enough to even give me a title to work with yet. And of course, working out a Weird Menace adventure that's suitable for a group of powerful, competent heroes (as opposed to one or two relatively normal people) is tricky.

As for Fiendish Oriental Masterminds, we've got a couple heading your way: In Masterminds And Madmen there's the insidious Dr. Fang and his Legion Of Crime (I just got done developing his section of the book today; great stuff!); and in the forthcoming HPA The Dragon Mandarin, there's a character sheet for a Pulp Hero version of Dr. Yin Wu. So, lots of evil Yellow Peril genius is in the works. :eg: