A Question on Liaisons

Mark Rand

On television programs, in movies and in some novels and fanfiction, the FBI is played as wanting to take credit for everything that went on in an arrest, and intelligence agencies are always getting in each others way to get a particular bit of information or save the day. How then do we get these various government agencies to let the DOSPA appoint the federal government's liaison to superheroes and superhero teams?

Here's my answer. While the DOSPA appoints the federal government's official liaison to the heroes, other agencies, like the FBI, Homeland Security , and PRIMUS, and appoint their own representatives to the teams.

For the Champions, which are based, in my campaign, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, John West, a middle-aged African-American lawyer and bureaucrat is the DOSPA liaison.

Special Agent David Masterson, a direct descendant of William Barclay "Bat" Masterson, represents the FBI. Unlike many of his co-workers, he's interested in arrests, not his career.

Former CIA agent Denise Dumont, an expert at black-bag jobs, is Homeland Security's representative. Unknown to the heroes, she's also a former cat burglar.

Re: A Question on Liaisons

I think too many Liasons might have some super teams get a bit resentful' date=' and even begin to leave said liasons out of the loop so it didn't feel like what was saving the day had become tedious bueracracy.[/quote']

David and Denise aren't official liaisons. They're there to "help with communications between the heroes and their agencies and help out as well as they can." More often then not, this means going out on missions with the heroes.

I did something similar for a Millennium City game I almost ran a while back:

Liaisons:

The team currently has four liaisons who have been assigned to them by the various civic organizations with which they are affiliated. These liaisons attend all team meetings, both public and private, and at times, depending upon the circumstances, accompany the team into the field. Occasionally a liaison's interference has hindered the team but the amount of red-tape the liaisons can cut through more than makes up for the hindrance.

DOSPA: Jerome Irving is the Department of Superhuman and Paranormal Affairs liaison for the team. Jerome is a 56 year old Black American who stands 5'7" tall and weighs a hair under 200 pounds. Jerome has black hair, graying at the temples, and chestnut eyes which always seem to smile with inner mirth. Jerome's responsibility is to coordinate the team's activities with the DOSPA and the various branches of the Justice Department. Jerome also works as a go-between for the team and the Federal Government when the need arises. Jerome is a former US Marshall who retired after 30 years of service and then joined DOSPA to further nurture relations between superhumans and the Government.

MCLD: Stacey Harvey is the Millennium City liaison to the team. Stacey operates as a go-between between the Mayor's office, the Millennium City Police Department - including the MARS unit, the Millennium City press, and the team. Stacey is 25 years old with a slim build, hazel eyes, and strawberry blonde hair, which she keeps pulled into a tight bun. Stacey could be considered cute, possibly even striking, but she hides her features behind large dark glasses and baggy clothing. Stacey is an attorney who worked for the DA's office one year before taking the assignment with the Liaison division. Stacey was hoping for a simpler liaison assignment and at times feels a bit overwhelmed by all the activity of the team.

PRIMUS: 2nd Lieutenant Larry Oliver is 23 year old, stands 6'2", and with his blonde hair, blue eyes, and impressive 220 pound frame has a great deal of charisma. Unfortunately Lt. Oliver is fresh out of PRIMUS academy and has very little practical experience with superhumans or PRIMUS politics. It would be an gross understatement to say that Lt. Oliver is disappointed in his assignment; an assignment which has no combat, allows no commanding of troops, and consists of fill out a multitude of daily reports. Lt. Oliver has requested dozens of transfers and continues to be denied. The fact that his father is Air Force General Thomas Oliver might have something to do with the denials.

UNTIL: Heather Lewinski is the team's UNTIL OSR (Office of Superhuman Resources) "superteam" liaison. Heather is 5'8" tall, has an athletic build, and is 36 years old with brown hair and eyes, Heather hails from Warsaw, Poland and has been a liaison with UNTIL for 10 years. Heather came up through the ranks of UNTIL and would still be an agent if she had not been severely injured in a VIPER raid in Cairo, Egypt which forced her retirement from active duty. Heather is head-strong and aggressive and does not take kindly to being treated like a helpless female when in dangerous situations. Heather has a series of "Lewinski Laws" which she enacts whenever the team acts in a manner she does not approve of.

Needless to say the liaisons do not always get along or agree. Lt. Oliver always attempts to take the leadership role of the four and is always just as quickly dismissed by either Ms. Lewinski or Mr. Irving, both of which have far more experience in both combat and politics. Ms. Harvey is the most timid of the four and spends her time just trying to stay out of everyone else's way. Ms. Harvey will usually defer to Mr. Irving as his positions with DOSPA outranks hers by several degrees. Lt. Oliver will also defer to Mr. Irving but that is only because he refuses to give any respect to Ms. Lewinski, or any UNTIL member for that matter. Lt. Oliver hates the fact that the group has become more international of late, as he feels that weakens his authority with the team and strengthens Ms. Lewinski's.

Would it be reasonable for either the Department of Homeland Security or one of the intelligence agencies to assign a liaison to the team?

In answering the above question please assume that, in addition to the CIA, DIA, and NSA, there are a number of smaller intelligence agencies within the country.

I did something similar for a Millennium City game I almost ran a while back:

Liaisons:

The team currently has four liaisons who have been assigned to them by the various civic organizations with which they are affiliated. These liaisons attend all team meetings, both public and private, and at times, depending upon the circumstances, accompany the team into the field. Occasionally a liaison's interference has hindered the team but the amount of red-tape the liaisons can cut through more than makes up for the hindrance.

DOSPA: Jerome Irving is the Department of Superhuman and Paranormal Affairs liaison for the team. Jerome is a 56 year old Black American who stands 5'7" tall and weighs a hair under 200 pounds. Jerome has black hair, graying at the temples, and chestnut eyes which always seem to smile with inner mirth. Jerome's responsibility is to coordinate the team's activities with the DOSPA and the various branches of the Justice Department. Jerome also works as a go-between for the team and the Federal Government when the need arises. Jerome is a former US Marshall who retired after 30 years of service and then joined DOSPA to further nurture relations between superhumans and the Government.

MCLD: Stacey Harvey is the Millennium City liaison to the team. Stacey operates as a go-between between the Mayor's office, the Millennium City Police Department - including the MARS unit, the Millennium City press, and the team. Stacey is 25 years old with a slim build, hazel eyes, and strawberry blonde hair, which she keeps pulled into a tight bun. Stacey could be considered cute, possibly even striking, but she hides her features behind large dark glasses and baggy clothing. Stacey is an attorney who worked for the DA's office one year before taking the assignment with the Liaison division. Stacey was hoping for a simpler liaison assignment and at times feels a bit overwhelmed by all the activity of the team.

PRIMUS: 2nd Lieutenant Larry Oliver is 23 year old, stands 6'2", and with his blonde hair, blue eyes, and impressive 220 pound frame has a great deal of charisma. Unfortunately Lt. Oliver is fresh out of PRIMUS academy and has very little practical experience with superhumans or PRIMUS politics. It would be an gross understatement to say that Lt. Oliver is disappointed in his assignment; an assignment which has no combat, allows no commanding of troops, and consists of fill out a multitude of daily reports. Lt. Oliver has requested dozens of transfers and continues to be denied. The fact that his father is Air Force General Thomas Oliver might have something to do with the denials.

UNTIL: Heather Lewinski is the team's UNTIL OSR (Office of Superhuman Resources) "superteam" liaison. Heather is 5'8" tall, has an athletic build, and is 36 years old with brown hair and eyes, Heather hails from Warsaw, Poland and has been a liaison with UNTIL for 10 years. Heather came up through the ranks of UNTIL and would still be an agent if she had not been severely injured in a VIPER raid in Cairo, Egypt which forced her retirement from active duty. Heather is head-strong and aggressive and does not take kindly to being treated like a helpless female when in dangerous situations. Heather has a series of "Lewinski Laws" which she enacts whenever the team acts in a manner she does not approve of.

Needless to say the liaisons do not always get along or agree. Lt. Oliver always attempts to take the leadership role of the four and is always just as quickly dismissed by either Ms. Lewinski or Mr. Irving, both of which have far more experience in both combat and politics. Ms. Harvey is the most timid of the four and spends her time just trying to stay out of everyone else's way. Ms. Harvey will usually defer to Mr. Irving as his positions with DOSPA outranks hers by several degrees. Lt. Oliver will also defer to Mr. Irving but that is only because he refuses to give any respect to Ms. Lewinski, or any UNTIL member for that matter. Lt. Oliver hates the fact that the group has become more international of late, as he feels that weakens his authority with the team and strengthens Ms. Lewinski's.

I know it's your campaign and I'm sure there is a specific tone that you're trying to set, but your PRIMUS liason is grossly unrealistic. Unless there are scores to hundreds of super teams in America, the team is going to at least get a Captain if not a Major. Liason officers of any sort are at least a junior to mid-level Captain (in the Army at least).

A wet behind the ears Second Lieutenant would never be assigned to this position, they just do not have the life/professional experience to handle the responsibility or the demands of such a position.

TB

The whole purpose of liasons are to help smooth the way, so having too many would make things worse, not better. I can't see a superteam having a full time liason from any agency other than the one that funds/authorises them. A city's official team will get a liason to the Mayor's office or whatever city entity they are funded through; a US government team would get a PRIMUS liason; an international team would get an UNTIL officer. etc. But not a separate liason officer from every government entity; that could easily end up with more liason officers than superteam members.

Now other agencies might have representatives who occasionally show up just to see things are on the up and up, just as the FBI or Secret Service have people who liase with local police departments during special cases or when the President is coming to town. (A Secret Service liason showing up a couple of days before a presidential campaign stop in the heroes' city could still be a pain in the tuchus, but he'd leave once the visit was over.)

I know it's your campaign and I'm sure there is a specific tone that you're trying to set, but your PRIMUS liason is grossly unrealistic. Unless there are scores to hundreds of super teams in America, the team is going to at least get a Captain if not a Major. Liason officers of any sort are at least a junior to mid-level Captain (in the Army at least).

A wet behind the ears Second Lieutenant would never be assigned to this position, they just do not have the life/professional experience to handle the responsibility or the demands of such a position.

TB

I believe you missed the point that he is a General's son and was given this cushy position to both keep him out of harm's way and to make him seem more important/more qualified then he really is. If I were trying to be more realistic I would use a civilian for the post as PRIMUS only has a few thousand operatives and would not want to waste an officer on something that is basically just a paperwork duty.

I believe you missed the point that he is a General's son and was given this cushy position to both keep him out of harm's way and to make him seem more important/more qualified then he really is. If I were trying to be more realistic I would use a civilian for the post as PRIMUS only has a few thousand operatives and would not want to waste an officer on something that is basically just a paperwork duty.
I saw that you made him a general's son, still doesn't matter. He isn't even remotely qualified to serve in that position and the general would be brought up on charges for illegal command influence by JAG or the IG so fast it'd make his stars spin. Like I said, I don't know what your campaign is like. However, it wouldn't hurt the character (and would go a great deal towards making it more realistic) to make him a Captain (even a brand spanking new one with only 36 months in service) and his age at 24-26.

Also, if you want him grousing about a lack of a combat posting, leading men, etc... you need to make his father an Army general not an Air Force general, it just doesn't fit the characterization. Air Force generals don't have pull in the Army, (kind of like a vice president of GM having pull on where Ford decides to put his son if he were working for them).

TB

I saw that you made him a general's son, still doesn't matter. He isn't even remotely qualified to serve in that position and the general would be brought up on charges for illegal command influence by JAG or the IG so fast it'd make his stars spin. Like I said, I don't know what your campaign is like. However, it wouldn't hurt the character (and would go a great deal towards making it more realistic) to make him a Captain (even a brand spanking new one with only 36 months in service) and his age at 24-26.

Also, if you want him grousing about a lack of a combat posting, leading men, etc... you need to make his father an Army general not an Air Force general, it just doesn't fit the characterization. Air Force generals don't have pull in the Army, (kind of like a vice president of GM having pull on where Ford decides to put his son if he were working for them).

TB

PRIMUS is not an Army organization. They pull troops from every branch of the service. An Air Force General will have as much clout there as an Army General would.

Also, it's not meant to be realistic. It's meant to be comic booky. It was written for the CU. Not an iron age Marvel U or DC U.

ow about this?

The DOSPA sends two people to liaise with the team. John West, a middle-aged lawyer and bureaucrat, is the official liaison. Denise Dumont, a former CIA operative who did a lot of black bag jobs, is his assistant. He stays at the headquarters, keeping his fellow bureaucrats happy while she joins the team in the field.

Since they agreed to have a superhero team in the city, the mayor appointed David Masterson, a mid-level functionary, to act as the city's liaison with the team. While John and Denise live in the team's base, David doesn't.

I saw that you made him a general's son' date=' still doesn't matter. He isn't even remotely qualified to serve in that position and the general would be brought up on charges for illegal command influence by JAG or the IG so fast it'd make his stars spin.[/quote']

Wuzzat? People being appointed to government positions they're not qualified to have based solely on who they know or who they're related to? The devil you say! It's a good thing that sort of thing only happens in these imaginary worlds of ours.

Wuzzat? People being appointed to government positions they're not qualified to have based solely on who they know or who they're related to? The devil you say! It's a good thing that sort of thing only happens in these imaginary worlds of ours.
Contrary to what Hollywood would have you believe, the Military (in general, no pun intended) is a meritocracy. People don't get put into positions for who they know, they are put there because of their skills/past performance. Which is why this write up comes off as being so unrealistic.

TB

Contrary to what Hollywood would have you believe' date=' the Military (in general, no pun intended) is a meritocracy. People don't get put into positions for who they know, they are put there because of their skills/past performance. [/quote']

Well, it's good to know they got that squared away since I was in the service...

Contrary to what Hollywood would have you believe, the Military (in general, no pun intended) is a meritocracy. People don't get put into positions for who they know, they are put there because of their skills/past performance. Which is why this write up comes off as being so unrealistic.

Are you talking about the same military that I serve in?

Zeropoint

Are you talking about the same military that I serve in?

Zeropoint

Yes, there are jackazzes who know their branch managers and can get the cherry assignments. There are the kiss ups that brown nose the Sergeant Major enough to get the easy staff nco position.

But no matter how many strings you pull or butts you kiss, you aren't going to have a junior Captain commanding an infantry battalion, or a 1st Lieutenant as the military liason to Beijing, it just isn't going to happen. Particularly on the Officer side of the house when promotions/manning is so centralized and ticket punching driven.

I've only been off active duty for 2 months, it couldn't have changed that much.

TB

ow about this?

The DOSPA sends two people to liase with the team. John West, a middle-aged lawyer and bureaucrat, is the official liaison. Denise Dumont, a former CIA operative who did a lot of black bag jobs, is his assistant. He stays at the headquarters, keeping his fellow bureaucrats happy while she joins the team in the field.

Since they agreed to have a superhero team in the city, the mayor appointed David Masterson, a mid-level functionary, to act as the city's liaison with the team. While John and Denise live in the team's base, David doesn't.

That sounds like a good plan. That way you fit Denise in while having it make sense.

TB

You keep forgetting for PRIMUS is not military. It's part of the Justice Department. Lt. Oliver was given a plum assignment because his father didn't want him getting killed by Ripper out in the field and used some governmental contacts to get it done; much to the disappointment of his son.

Being a liason to a superhero team is not the same as being a liason to Beijing. There are 10-12 superhero teams in the CU. If any of them request it they can get a PRIMUS liason. PRIMUS is not going to waste a top candidate to do superhero paperwork. There are only 12,000 operatives in total and the qualified men are needed to deal with the real problems: supervillains.

Yes, there are jackazzes who know their branch managers and can get the cherry assignments. There are the kiss ups that brown nose the Sergeant Major enough to get the easy staff nco position.

But no matter how many strings you pull or butts you kiss, you aren't going to have a junior Captain commanding an infantry battalion, or a 1st Lieutenant as the military liason to Beijing, it just isn't going to happen. Particularly on the Officer side of the house when promotions/manning is so centralized and ticket punching driven.

So, you could have someone incompetent/unqualified slotted as a supergroup liason due to favoritism or string-pulling, but they'd still have to be of a proper rank/time in service, yes?

I like to treat "that doesn't make sense" moments as opportunities to launch a plotline in my games. Okay, the lieutenant has been assuming that his father's pull got him the job, after all, he's not experienced enough in the real military to spot how ridiculous this is. And most of the other characters who aren't up on military procedure have assumed the same. But the father finally shows up and wonders aloud how his son got the job, pointing out the ludicrousness of the situation. By any method used to check, the general is sincere--he didn't pull any strings.

Which means that there's some other reason. Time to do some investigating!

As to the main thread, I too think that too many liasons is a bad idea. Which is not to say that some governments wouldn't try it.

I've never had liaisons live with the team, mainly because a lot of the teams I've ran don't have official headquarters available to the public. The liaisons in question are stationed at a field office, much like the FBI has. When not actively interacting (nice turn o' phrase, that :rolleyes: ) with the heroes, the liaison has myriad administrative duties to keep him/her occupied. Following up on case files, data mining for hero or villain activity related to his/her post, keeping up with world meta events, etc.

The liaison introduces himself to the heroes, gives them a card, number, whatever. They say the whole "We'd like to work with you, or you with us, so that we can optimize our resources," and then they hope the heroes come aboard. Failure to do so brings the agency's ire, and all kinds of meddling is possible. Agreement brings investigative and data resources to the team, and someone on hand to smooth things out with local law enforcement and emergency agencies.

It's a "I wash your back, you wash mine" relationship, and not predicated on the team liking their liaison, nor their liaison liking them. As long as each does the job they're supposed to, everyone gets along. When one side starts holding back, problems start.

Multiple agencies interested in liaising with the heroes will compete for the best intel, the first call, first response, and so on. They're liable to up the ante, so to speak, and furnish the heroes with gadgets, communications, vehicles, maybe even a base. With multiple agencies there's no reason you can't have each liaison be of a different stereotype:

• The by-the-book military man who follows the rules and expects you to do the same. He's good at his job but not a great out-of-the-box thinker.

• The laid-back liaison who empathizes with the heroes plight. He's likeable and charming, and seems to have their best interests at heart, but he's not very good at persuading either the agency or the heroes to do the right thing.

• The cut-throat agent. She possesses severe beauty and a sharp mind, and she knows all the ins and outs. She's playing both sides, working for the heroes' trust even as she puts on the best front for the agency. Does she have a hidden agenda or is she merely ambitious, trying to make herself indispensable and thus pave the way for promotion?

• The guy who hates the heroes and wishes they didn't need 'em at all, but he's here so he might as well do the job. He's more interested in being a pain in the butt than in helping the heroes, but when push comes to shove he grudgingly does the right thing. But he still doesn't like them...

And so on...

If your world is one wherein the heroes must have local, state or national sanction to operate, the negotiations can be one-sided in favor of the agency(ies), but the heroes will (should) always have a little pull just because of who they are.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

If you have a lot of liasons and the team seems to be getting a bit annoyed you can always have them reporting in person. Rotate 'em around a bit, while one or two are at Headquarters giving full reports the others are in the teams way a bit. Gives everything a bit of a fresh face, allows the team to interact with all sorts of government agencies without spending entire sessions talking to Liason NPCs and you can really start to play up interpersonal Liason relationships a bit.

Besides, when the hero's are retired and the next line comes in, where do you think the old guys got all those government contacts to begin with? That's right, all started with 2 liasons for every hero....

I occasionally wish our GM would set up official Super teams to get this kind of thing going, it'd be fun... he doesn't see it as "realistic" enough for his world I don't think... or the extra work is what he's avoiding :)

The original idea I had was that there only two liaisons, John West, from the DOSPA, who lives in and works out of the mansion, and the city government's liaison, who lives in Lawrenceville and works in the City-County Building (aka City Hall). The rest are representatives of various city, county, state, and federal agencies.

All but two of these representatives are civilians that live and work outside the mansion, and only come by to give Carol West, the team's secretary/receptionist, reports and paperwork. (This is the same Carol West mentioned in the thread "Secretary to Heroes".)

The two that are real agents are David Masterson, a PRIMUS intelligence agent and former police officer, and Denise Dumont, an agent for one of the various intelligence agencies that sprung up after 9/11 and former CIA operative did a lot of black-bag jobs. (The heroes, staff, and governmental types are unaware that she was once Kitten, a cat burglar with an international reputation.) While David lives and works outside the mansion, Denise lives and works inside it and often joins the team on missions. Her usual backup on these missions is Keiko Nakamura, the team's technical manager, who is also their reservist Black Scorpion, a cool ninja with high-tech toys and a highly-modified Lamborghini Murcielago that she calls the Scorpionmobile.