Dr. Doom's other classic characteristics

SirViss

Hello all,

I have just bought CKC, as a prelude to running my very own Champions campaign. I think it is safe to say, that some of the villains in the book are probably (loosely) based on characters that we have seen in one comic or another.

Reading up on Dr. Destroyer, I was wondering how I would role-play him, and at first I thought of running him akin to Dr. Doom, but the more I think about it the less I believed that.

You see, though Dr. Doom has power-armor, science skills that are unequalled by any one on Earth (except Reed Richards :) ), and has an ego that dwarfs Jupiter in size, he also has a Code of Honour and the ruler of a country. This definetly give Dr. Doom more «character» than Champion 's Dr. Destroyer.

Without taking into account powers, I was wondering which villain would most closely evoke the «feel» of Doom (sorry for the pun). :D

SirViss, don't forget that you can always change Dr. Destroyer to have that noble streak in him so you can play him as a Dr. Doom type of guy. I play Dr. D with a bit of a noble streak, albeit a false streak.

I always thought that what differentiated Doom and Destroyer was that while both men thought they knew best when it came to the future of the world, Doom wanted people to WANT him to rule - he was always out to prove his superiority as a way of convincing the populace.

I've always played Destroyer as more of an idea man, who doesn't want to rule but feels forced to by lack of any alternative. He is willing to take the decisive steps needed to put the world back on course (see "Day of the Destroyer"). He sees himself more of a shepherd of mankind, rather than a king.

Re: Re: Dr. Doom's other classic characteristics

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

Probably Istvatha V'Han, IMO.

I'd agree. While her 'Dimensional ruler' concept might make her seem like a Darkseid type, her Noblisse Oblige is really more in keeping with Doom.

Having many post by Mr. Long, of course I know that I can change the back story of Champion's infamous Dr. D. :D

As, to Vhan being close to Doom, after reflexion I do agree. Only difference is how easy it is to visit Doom compared to Vhan... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by SirViss

Having many post by Mr. Long, of course I know that I can change the back story of Champion's infamous Dr. D. :D

As, to Vhan being close to Doom, after reflexion I do agree. Only difference is how easy it is to visit Doom compared to Vhan... :rolleyes:

I don't know. Have you checked out Latveria's defenses lately?

contacting V'han?

Well, if you have a brainy scientist type on your team, have them develop a quantum multi phasic pulse signal... this will allow them to 'knock on her door' so to speak. If she's interested in talking to them, she'll open a gate.

They'll either be invited for Tea, or subjugated for their insolence. ;)

Re: contacting V'han?

Originally posted by Hermit

Well, if you have a brainy scientist type on your team, have them develop a quantum multi phasic pulse signal... this will allow them to 'knock on her door' so to speak. If she's interested in talking to them, she'll open a gate.

They'll either be invited for Tea, or subjugated for their insolence. ;)

Personally I think she'd invite them in for a little tete-a-tete to discuss the terms of their dimensions surrender to her empire, since their ability to contact her shows that they are the most intelligent members of their dimention and so will be respected enough to convince their home dimention to allow her benevolent rule with a minimum of bloodshed.

And if they attack her when she suggests this, well they have just proved that their dimention despiritely needs her leadership since the most intelligent members of the race are little more than barbarians who resort to violence to solve their problems (she might also make sure that these particular barbarians were never born, as a lesson, but only if they rip her imperial gown. Lesson 1: Never directly oppose someone who can travel in time.)

I just brought in the real thing. A villain called the animator could bring people in comics to life. And one of these was Doom.

As to Vhan, not someone I would use. I just don't think they have the class of Destroyer or Doom. I see someone along the lines of a petulant princess rather than a villainess inspiring fear. When I see Vhan I do not see Ursula Andress as She Who Must Be Obeyed.