Jonny Quest

Steve

Re: Jonny Quest

Well, I will say one thing for the revamped show. There were some pretty good pulp style villains... Jeremiah Surd, Ezekiel Rage, Dr. Zin and the Zin twins...

The computer geek in me dismissed much of the computer VR world stuff, but I liked the rest of what I saw... even though there was a lot less gunfire, and "heathen monkey savages"... :D

jak

Surd, Rage, and the Zins were interesting baddies. Just all the others were freaking lame. And that VR stuff seemed to pop up every episode. It got old real fast. And way too PC twas the show.

I did like a few episodes. But there were many more bad ones (many of which were shown seemingly on a 3 week loop on Toonami), and it really got on my nerves when the show became the one show they wouldnt let die from Toonami. That got rid of the other shows quicker than it. But Johhnny was what was holding them back. Ehh, whatever.

But, Ezekial Rage was damn cool (at least the first 3 or so of his episodes) until he became nothing but bones, and seemingly immortal. Surd was cool, too, though a bit overplayed, and what the heck happened to him in their last group of episodes. He aged 40 years overnight! Zin was a bad@$$ in every incarnation (60s cartoon on).

But again the PC-ness. ARRRRRGGGGGG!!!! It was like Captain Planet-lite.

Sorry guys, but I'm a curmudgeon. There was one season of Jonny Quest, which I watched religiously when I was 4. Then there was a lot of crappy people who felt the need to "improve" the series.

They didn't.

The first series is old and dated, but it captures the pulp spirit of 1940s cartoon adventure strips better than anything that's come since. especially visually. It's got beautiful backgrounds and wonderful Alex Toth character designs, and despite the limited H-B animation it's a joy to look at.

I'm less curmudgeonly, but I too have to go with the original.

The newer series were very pretty- some of The Real Adventures were very, very pretty in fact- but the cool factor just wasn't there, even if Race did take out an assault chopper with his bare hands. Too much Tech, not enough Pulp, maybe?

I never followed the Comico series, anyone know if those were any good?

How much do you think the characters were built on? Jonny and Hadji' date=' I am thinking 75-100 each, Dr. Quest 125-150, and Race seems a solid 150-175. I'm not sure what points Bandit (Jonny's dog) might be built on, maybe 25-50?[/quote']

My friends and I thought that Bandit was just a focus for Johnny's Danger Sense... He would bark just before the bad guys attacked...

Don't get me wrong, I love the old show... The only thing I liked about the new show were the bad guys...

Jak