Super Bases and the Gm's who love them

Rikathos

I know I know its all about location location location.

Well, I've got that figured out.

I'm trying to create a base for a Villian game I am running and I've never plotted out the points and created one within the Hero System before.

I know all good Base's need a computer and of course there is the structure

But I was wondering if there are any source material books or sites that could be a helpful resource?

I would also invite any creative input from the community at large.

What would you put in your Super base?

I know I want basic structure and a computer. I'll let the characters customize it to their liking. Should there be more?

Your thoughts?

Re: Super Bases and the Gm's who love them

Its an association of Villians.

They will need to keep a low profile.

There is at lease one Scientist.

Two to Three Mercenaries.

An Alien

And the other is very hard to explain.

It has been proposed that the group makes some of its funds Harvesting organ's and genetic material. From Either Meta's or Norms depending on the Current Market.

The Base will be presented to them as a reward after their first adventure if they don't die.

None have suggested having minions. However I would like to keep it open for them to construct what they will need in the future.

I once designed a little base for a group called "Thugs R Us", sort of a comedy group of, obviously, thugs. They included Halfjack, Shamrock and Bulldozer. Nothing High-Tech needed, as they were Thugs. Basically they needed a hide-out and a place to store things and swag, and that was about it. None of them knew much about computers. Honestly, can you see Bulldozer with a computer ??? So it was simple. Concealment was the most important consideration. The placement, size and number of rooms was not too important, as long as there was a private room for everyone and a large garage area for vehicles bought and stolen. So as bases go, it was a bit small and humble. Unfortunately, we stopped using the group before the base was used much. I would love to design another base, but the opportunity has not come up. Most villain groups come with a base, or many.

Ask the players what they want from a base. Discuss potential locations (abandoned mine, dockland warehouse, etc.) and methods of acquisition (squatting, takeover by force, purchase through shell company...)

Then see if they have the points for it.

If not, they'll have to pull a few jobs to "fund" construction & conversion - and the campaign starts rolling...

I've looked at base construction, but the base I really wanted was too expensive.

So instead I tweaked the character background a bit, and now he has a minimal base, in his (government) offices, which has a large amount of Disguise and some anti-snooping measures (some points in Suppress -- with Invisible Power Effects -- which only work against Clairsentience). It's also the Fixed Location for his Megascale Teleport power.

Given what you've mentioned here about the characters, I don't see anything wrong with a rework of the Homestead with a villain twist. Make it a secret location instead of a public one, add some disguise to the thing and lose the grounds. The rest of it should stand up nicely with some tweaks for your individual characters.

Usually, when the characters obtain a base of operations in my Champions campaigns, it is usually from one of their villains. The idea being that after all the wonderful booby-traps and non-politically correct equipment is removed, you wind up having a crib with no toys, and the characters have a motivation to spruce things up with character points!

Let us know how it goes!

Matt Frisbee

But I was wondering if there are any source material books or sites that could be a helpful resource?

I know I want basic structure and a computer. I'll let the characters customize it to their liking. Should there be more?

Your thoughts?

I am partial to the low-tech 'bases' that appear in Andrew Vachss Burke and Cross stories:

Cross and his mercenary crew live in a NY apartment block that one of the crew owns in a less desireable area of the city. The entire city block around the apartment is the rubble of demolished buildings. A realtor planned to build new apartments on the city block but went bust when Cross and friends bought their building and refused to sell up (the realtor couldn't complete without the plot). The apartment building has a pool hall on the ground floor and the crew also own a table dancing joint. Both establishments are known as 'guaranteed hassle free places' thanks to the crew's no nonsense reputation.

Burke's Nazi-hating Jewish buddy the Mole is a bona-fide social maladept / science genius who lives in a junkyard in the outer reaches of NY. He lives partially below ground and partially in amongst walls made of piled junk. His security system is a large pack of very wild junkyard dogs, and (it is implied) buried explosives and lethal mantraps. The ever-hungry dogs are a means of disposing of potentially-incriminating corpses.

Although you are building for villains, the two bases above belong to the (anti) heroes of the stories. Nevertheless, they might inspire you to think outside the box when it comes to bases - they did so for me ;)

I know I know its all about location location location.

Well, I've got that figured out.

I'm trying to create a base for a Villian game I am running and I've never plotted out the points and created one within the Hero System before.

I know all good Base's need a computer and of course there is the structure

Your thoughts?

I think you'll find a lot of useful and inspirational stuff on the first page of this thread:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16292

Unfortunately, changes to the Hero Games forum settings have eliminated a lot of stuff that was posted to that thread in formats which the boards no longer support. :(