Star Wars - Balancing Jedi with everyone else and heroic vs. superheroic

Greg

Re: Star Wars - Balancing Jedi with everyone else and heroic vs. superheroic

The Jedi destroyed themselves with their flawed beliefs, or their failure to hold true to aspects of those beliefs when they really should have.

Kind of tragic, but also just really irksome. It wasn't made to be tragic, it was just completely ignored, thus making them hypocrites to me.

From the movies, I came to the conclusion that the Jedi and the Republic had stagnated. They were so entrenched with keeping the status quo that new ideas were met with heated and often violent reaction. In many ways, I think the Sith are a very necessary and natural part of the Lucas' mythology. They serve to shake things up and get things moving. They were able to dominate the Jedi because the Jedi held power for so long that they could not conceive of losing.

My previous post basically was waxing philosophical on the nature of the Force. If I am correct and the Force amplifies emotion, does the presence of dread (fear is more of an immediate response) also get amplified and can it have long term impact? Basically I was asking; did the Jedi subconsciously set in motion their own demise by dreading the return of the Sith? Did that dread, amplified through the Force, allow for the Sith to position themselves under the Jedis' very noses. Yoda stated that the Dark Side was clouding everything, but was the Dark Side originating from the Sith or from the Jedi themselves.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

***I hate to ruin the game, so if no one here has played/beaten Knights of the Old Republic 2, please skip this post.***

This is part of the driving behind the game. KotOR II specifically touches on the nature of the force and if it is not alive and of it's own plats and plans. The Force is described and portrayed as the link in life, that connects every living thing, but your character in KotOR II had been seperated from the Force, and to be able to know the Force and live without it is seen as a truely dangerous thing.

Of course, we all could be overlooking the whole thing and just not seeing it as a plot device that became a theory, then a cult following, and now a legend.

Sorry, MT, but I don't think your argument makes the least bit of sense. You're essentially arguing that a laser sword capable of cutting through anything is worthless at close range. :eek: Of course you don't see the Jedi throwing a lot of joint locks and finger strikes: why go for the 6d6N attack when you're carrying a 6d6K attack?

That said, Lucas has %&$#@# up the SW universe so badly (I'm not a fan of the new movies, does it show?) that the only real lesson we can draw from them is: Jedi can effortlessly take out any number of non-Jedi, until/unless the plot requires them to die in which case they automatically blow all their rolls. Or maybe they just "lost the will to live." :rolleyes:

Getting back to Greg’s original post I think you’re on the right track here. One thing to consider would be to give Jedi and non-Jedi the same number (or close) of base points, but allow the Jedi to take more points from Disads. So you wind up with Jedi who are more powerful but have so many codes of conduct that they’re constrained a bit.

I also like the suggestion of giving non-Force users a gadget VPP (with restrictions) to allow them to swap out equipment.

And don’t forget luck – plenty of luck!

bigdamnhero

“Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?â€

Or perhaps I should clarify: MT are you thinking in terms of "reality" or in terms of game mechanics, ie - "If I can grab him he won't be able to use his OAF and he's hosed!"

bigdamnhero

"Well, my days of not taking you serious are certainly coming to a middle."

Hmm. I took this a whole different way. I took it as the Force fed off and amplified emotions. That is why anger becomes such a destructive' date=' er...force. It was the disciplinary training that the Jedi taught that kept their emotions under lock and key. It would be interesting to see how poweful the Force would feed into a positive emotion, such as love. I don't believe that, in a Lucas controlled script, any emotion could be a positive thing. But I could imagine somebody who isn't jealous and weighed down with feelings of inadequacy could channel feelings of love through the Force with great effect. This whole line of thought makes me wonder if the Jedi do really suppress emotion. Could the courage that the average Jedi feel be amplified through the Force to make them completely fearless. I also wonder if the Jedi fear of the Dark Side led them to subconsciously set the path towards their own destruction. I am going way out on this one and I need to think about it a little bit more.[/quote']

Of course, what the Jedi say and what 'the truth' is can be two different things. People keep saying that there is black and white in the SW universe, with nothing inbetween... but I think the prequels are a lot more complex than that. There's the whole story, for instance, of how easy it is to fall. How good decisions can be bad, and vice versa. And how you can't always tell the difference between them.

For emotions: I see this as a kind of 'emotions can be dangerous, therefore we damp them all. All!' Yes, it is somewhat dangerous. Emotions are dangerous... damping emotions is dangerous. The Jedi had seen so many fall because of their emotions, they veered waaaaaaay too far the other way and created this mythos around emotions, that you cannot even go near them without being destroyed. 'Any dark side is all dark side' kind of stuff. Which we can see is false, as I can point to several points where heroic jedi call on the strength of their negative emotions (or at least, where my interpretation is that they do).

Yoda, in Empire, can't quite let go of this. But to some extent, of course, he does. He tells Luke what he believes.. but he doesn't enforce it. He allows Luke to develop his own way. Luke thus becomes strong enough to walk the fine line between falling to the dark side and becoming strong enough to defeat Vader. Thus, bringing balance to the Force.

This also ties to your later post, about the Jedi stagnating. Absolutely, they had. Even from the first film, with this whole prophecy about 'bringing balance to the Force', I knew it wasn't going to work out how the Jedi hoped. Well, of course, I was informed by later continuity. But basically, by going evil and having the Jedi destroyed, then finally killing the Emperor... yeah, he brought balance. He levelled the playing field, and brought Luke. The Jedi were simply too entrenched in their own arses to be able to see the fundamental truth that they were becoming their own worst enemies.

Well, except for Palpatine. Their own worst enemies after Palpatine.

Um' date=' wow, you sarcasm is cute, but since I stated that I was running strictly by movies........ at the very get go........ well, it's just completely nontopical.[/quote']

And my point is that the movies simply don't (and can't) show everything. They have to be interpreted, it's the only way. Which means one man's Jedi will be different to another's. What's on paper should agree fairly closely with what's on screen, but slavishly sticking to everything actually shown and not going beyond that... well, it's a very limited approach.

Because, see, I'm sure in the books, there's plenty of reasons justifying why the Jedi in fact are NOT completely overrated.

Because, they are supposed to be well-rounded. They aren't. They arrogant. They are heavily trained in one area, not in another.

Nah, I don't care about the books. I've not read a single one that I feel fits at all well into the SW universe.

But as for their training... this is easily underestimated. Jedi train for something like twenty years, the later 10+ years being on-the-job practical training. (This is going by a single canon example, which may or may not be exceptional. That being that Obi-Wan appeared to be in his late twenties - the book dated him at 30-something, I think? - when he graduated. MEanwhile, we see 5-6 year olds practising with lightsabres, and 14-year-old padawans who can use lightsabres effectively enough to take on multiple commandoes at range for a few seconds. And THAT isn't anywhere NEAR jedi standards.) Guaranteed, there will be holes in that training, but not many. In practical situations, they may end up without their lightsabres. I would think it highly illogical if they were incapable of surviving without them.

My point is this: Jedi are not nearly as hardcore as they appear because: A) They rely too much upon the Force and B) They rely too much upon their lightsabers.

Two-trick ponies.

And here is where I disagree (well, to the second... I agree that they aren't as hardcore as some fans make them out to be). They rely heavily on those things, yes... because why not? They're seriously effective. But we see some evidence of being able to survive without the sabres. Therefore, the possibility exists of all sorts of sabreless combat techniques. Simply because more isn't shown on the screen doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

And Massey?

No. Luke's PT training, though admirable, and certainly more grueling than anything I could probably take, is nothing compared to what a truly elite commando goes through.

His traning was anything between a month long and a whole buncha months long (it all depends how long it took the Falcon to get to Cloud City. That 'wipe' could stand in for a very, very long time). What we see is some seriously intenstive exercise. Again, there's room for a whole host of other stuff. We don't know: how much he ate, how much he slept, how much of his day was filled with that exercise, what other forms of exercise there were, etc. Just because we didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. We got a hint... is that the whole, or is that just the tip of the mega-iceberg? There's not enough to say the training IS that intense, but there's too much possibility to say it certainly IS NOT.

I agree in one respect: the jedi are not gods. A whole bunch get killed on Geonosis, and a whoooooole bunch more in the temple, by commandoes. In the first case, massed enemy fire coming from all directions. In the second, prolly much the same, coupled with Anakin to take out the truly skilled ones (who could, perhaps, deflect for a few seconds, then leap out of line of fire?).

As for the ones who get ambushed, I see this as a combination of two things. One, the commandoes were responding to implanted orders. No emotions. It's fairly established that the Jedi are sensitive to others' emotions - it's why Vader had Luke's friends tortured. So emotionless attackers have something of an advantage. Not too much, though - JEdi can sense danger from droids, after all. The second element is trust. The Jedi had fought at the side of these commandoes for months, or years. They trusted them. Third, just because the sense is something we don't have, doesn't mean it's not affected by the same things, say, eyesight or hearing are. There's 'terrain' - on the battlefield, they may be getting constant 'danger' signals. They learn to ignore some as irrelevant to them, others as imminent. They start getting danger signals from behind them. They trust their buddies to have their backs... and then it's too late. They're dead. That whole 'massed blaster fire' thing again.

(Personally, I think it likely that several Jedi managed to escape from these ambushes. I don't think it likely that Obi-Wan and Yoda were the only two to ever escape. They're just the only two we saw on-screen.)

Anyway... that's a long post to make one point, really. I don't think Jedi are gods. I don't think they're gimps, either. They're multi-skilled, capable of engaging situations in many ways (from non-violent to violent) and damn good at what they do. They are not, however, undefeatable. This is painfully self-evident. They have a tendency to be overconfident... they certainly have a streak of undefeatability, which tends to lead them to becoming defeatable.

I guess that's about all I have to say.

KOTOR = Knights of the Old Republic : There were two computer games that came out in the past few years under the title. They were both well done and told during the Madalorian Wars era and the Rise of the Sith. Didn't play the first. I played the sequal and it deals with rebuilding the Republic that is on death's door and the main character is the 'last' of the jedi.

By all means, play the first one. While the second one was good, the story in the first one is much better. It has more of a Star Wars feel to it.

From the movies, I came to the conclusion that the Jedi and the Republic had stagnated. They were so entrenched with keeping the status quo that new ideas were met with heated and often violent reaction. In many ways, I think the Sith are a very necessary and natural part of the Lucas' mythology. They serve to shake things up and get things moving. They were able to dominate the Jedi because the Jedi held power for so long that they could not conceive of losing.

My previous post basically was waxing philosophical on the nature of the Force. If I am correct and the Force amplifies emotion, does the presence of dread (fear is more of an immediate response) also get amplified and can it have long term impact? Basically I was asking; did the Jedi subconsciously set in motion their own demise by dreading the return of the Sith? Did that dread, amplified through the Force, allow for the Sith to position themselves under the Jedis' very noses. Yoda stated that the Dark Side was clouding everything, but was the Dark Side originating from the Sith or from the Jedi themselves.

I wouldn't say that the Force effects your emotions, but with a power as great as the Force, the consequences of losing control of your emotions becomes much greater.

I wouldn't say that the Force effects your emotions' date=' but with a power as great as the Force, the consequences of losing control of your emotions becomes much greater.[/quote'] Oh yeah, my thoughts were mostly a "what if" kind of thing. It just seems to me that the effects of emotion seem to be more powerful with a Force user. Look at Luke when Vader threatens to seduce Leia to the Dark Side. The anger became almost all consuming and it took a very real object lesson (the similarity between Vader's mechanical arm and his own) to shock him back to control. Of course, that could just as well been attributed to natural and unaugmented anger as well. Probably was in fact.

I just like to consider the nature of the force and considering just how "elemental" it appears to be, I just have this idea that the Jedi repress emotion to prevent the Force from feeding on and fueling emotional states. It is their way to control the Force instead of the Force controlling them.

Hurm. That leads to another thought. What if the way the Sith interact with the Force is more "natural" than the Jedi? What if the Force is more primal than what the Jedi believe and though they are capable of tapping into the resevoir of power, the Force is constantly tempting them to let go of the emotional control. I would almost say, in that case, that the whole "Dark Side is easier, more seductive" argument can suddenly be seen in a whole new light. The Jedi then become something even more. They have all this power that they could tap if they would just give in to temptation, but the maintain control of themselves; possibly at the cost of some of the power that they could wield.

Perhaps giving in to the Dark Side does make a Force user more powerful, but it always seemed to come with a price.

Yeah, I'm going way out again. :) (Lookit nolgroth, notice how the sun reflects off him as he passes in orbit.)

Sorry' date=' MT, but I don't think your argument makes the least bit of sense. You're essentially arguing that a laser sword capable of cutting through anything is worthless at close range. :eek: Of course you don't see the Jedi throwing a lot of joint locks and finger strikes: why go for the 6d6N attack when you're carrying a 6d6[u']K[/u] attack?

bigdamnhero

“Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

No, but I do believe that a lightsaber would only MAYBE be marginally more useful than a regular sword.

Now, remember, I am talking CLOSE range. At this distance, the combatant could completely negate the lighsaber by merely continually pushing the hilt and hands to the outside of the fight. Remember, the blade has to actually be brought to bear. The lightsaber suffers from the same "Don't let them inside your arm reach" disadvantage that all swords suffer.

Now, a lightsaber is lighter (haha) and therefore can be moved more quickly, so the commando would have to be on top of things, and you can't block the edge like you might with a normal sword, so he would have to continually attack the Jedi's weapon arm.

Inu- Basically, all my posts were trying to get at is that I do not fully approve of the on screen representation of Jedi, because from the concept stuff I have been exposed to, the screen either falls completely short of them or is even directly misleading.

And, I do not think the weapons should make the character. But the Jedi are completely dependent upon the Force and their lightsabers. This is in direct contradiction with both their philosophy and good sense.

I for one am disgusted with the way this whole topic has been discussed. Especially from Manic Typist and Nolgroth! Here we are nearing the end of 2005 and we still have people who don't know how to have a proper arguement over the internet. Where are the accusations of homosexuallity? Where are the threats against eachothers famillies? And where are the sacred cries of "n00b!1!"? And how dare you reasonably concede points when a convincing arguement is made! For shame, Manic Typist, for shame Nolgroth.

:lol:

No, but I do believe that a lightsaber would only MAYBE be marginally more useful than a regular sword.

Now, remember, I am talking CLOSE range. At this distance, the combatant could completely negate the lighsaber by merely continually pushing the hilt and hands to the outside of the fight. Remember, the blade has to actually be brought to bear. The lightsaber suffers from the same "Don't let them inside your arm reach" disadvantage that all swords suffer.

Now, a lightsaber is lighter (haha) and therefore can be moved more quickly, so the commando would have to be on top of things, and you can't block the edge like you might with a normal sword, so he would have to continually attack the Jedi's weapon arm.

Inu- Basically, all my posts were trying to get at is that I do not fully approve of the on screen representation of Jedi, because from the concept stuff I have been exposed to, the screen either falls completely short of them or is even directly misleading.

And, I do not think the weapons should make the character. But the Jedi are completely dependent upon the Force and their lightsabers. This is in direct contradiction with both their philosophy and good sense.

Besides the whole "The blade goes through anything" factor...

And the "With virtually no mass and the entire surface is a devestating cutting surface" factor...

I think that perhaps you're not considering that the lightsabre can also be turned off and on again. As well as potentially being manipulated while not even in the jedi's hand. Having the blade sudden reactivated while pointing at your, oh, head... or chest.. or groin... or anywhere really.... would be a fight ender.

Jedi martial arts don't HAVE to rely on jointlocks and breaks, because their disarming manuvers DIS-Arm you.

In any case... having been in swordfights involving lots of grappling, I can say that its not at all hard for even a half way competent swordsman to bring a sword blade in contact with a foe using a grappling art... its just a pointless manuver with a steel sword, as the best you'll accomplish is a shallow surface cut. That changes with a lightsaber.

EDIT: Note also that most of the pre-fencing era German and Italian schools of swordfighting involve HEAVY grappling arts combined with swords... and many of the moves are INTENDED to bring the edge of the blade into one of the positions where even with no force other than a draw cut the blade is still dangerous... mostly groin and throat moves.

And yeah... I've tussled with a couple of "commandos" (If you consider Navy SEALs Commandos, one of whom is also a Kung Fu instuctor). Got myself right tore up too, but I'm no Jedi. Even then... I walked away from the fight. Took 6 months or so for my ribs to heal, but I avoided getting any limbs broken. Was a close thing, but the little aikido I picked up sparring back in the good ole days served me in good stead, defensively. In general, learning defensive techniques, including how to prevent getting into a nasty lock, is always easier than learning how to execute said locks.

Dammit, and I told myself I wasn't going to get involved in this whole stupid "Commandos are 733+ k177xxors! Jed1s are teh suxxor 'cause they are stupid hippys. Commandos would pwn jedis" conversation....

Oh yeah' date=' my thoughts were mostly a "what if" kind of thing. It just seems to me that the effects of emotion [i']seem[/i] to be more powerful with a Force user. Look at Luke when Vader threatens to seduce Leia to the Dark Side. The anger became almost all consuming and it took a very real object lesson (the similarity between Vader's mechanical arm and his own) to shock him back to control. Of course, that could just as well been attributed to natural and unaugmented anger as well. Probably was in fact.

I just like to consider the nature of the force and considering just how "elemental" it appears to be, I just have this idea that the Jedi repress emotion to prevent the Force from feeding on and fueling emotional states. It is their way to control the Force instead of the Force controlling them.

Hurm. That leads to another thought. What if the way the Sith interact with the Force is more "natural" than the Jedi? What if the Force is more primal than what the Jedi believe and though they are capable of tapping into the resevoir of power, the Force is constantly tempting them to let go of the emotional control. I would almost say, in that case, that the whole "Dark Side is easier, more seductive" argument can suddenly be seen in a whole new light. The Jedi then become something even more. They have all this power that they could tap if they would just give in to temptation, but the maintain control of themselves; possibly at the cost of some of the power that they could wield.

Perhaps giving in to the Dark Side does make a Force user more powerful, but it always seemed to come with a price.

Yeah, I'm going way out again. :) (Lookit nolgroth, notice how the sun reflects off him as he passes in orbit.)

(Bringing illumination to all and sundry)

You, sir, make good points.

I've always felt that most Jedi don't have to worry about the darkside. I've never seen any evidence that Obi Wan or Yoda were ever tempted towards the DS. If it was so easy to turn there would be a LOT more Sith. To me the Force is like Lothlorien. There is no evil to fear unless you bring it with you. It's a character's other disadvantages that leave him vulnerable. Anakin's DNPC Mother becomes a Psychological Disadvantage to protect those he loves, which leaves him vulnerable to the darkside.

It's not so clear in Luke's case, but he has the same desire to protect his friends when he leaves his training to face Vader at Cloud City, and when he faces the Emperor and Vader he faces them as the last Jedi and the last rebel in the Galaxy. The Emperor convinced him that the attack will fail so Luke is the only thing standing in the way of the Emperor's total domination of the galaxy. That's pretty scary all by itself.

That's why in my campaign, you have to don't have to worry about the darkside unless you have a disadvantage that could lead you to use your powers in fear and anger, or you choose to take the character points that the DS offers to speed up your development or to access powers that you cannot as a Jedi, like DEX boosting powers.

All that said many Sith in my campaign can create an aura of unease, which is a Change Enviroment that gives minuses to Ego rolls. That, and a few choice words, can greatly speed your progress down the darkside.

Besides the whole "The blade goes through anything" factor...

And the "With virtually no mass and the entire surface is a devestating cutting surface" factor...

I think that perhaps you're not considering that the lightsabre can also be turned off and on again. As well as potentially being manipulated while not even in the jedi's hand. Having the blade sudden reactivated while pointing at your, oh, head... or chest.. or groin... or anywhere really.... would be a fight ender.

Jedi martial arts don't HAVE to rely on jointlocks and breaks, because their disarming manuvers DIS-Arm you.

In any case... having been in swordfights involving lots of grappling, I can say that its not at all hard for even a half way competent swordsman to bring a sword blade in contact with a foe using a grappling art... its just a pointless manuver with a steel sword, as the best you'll accomplish is a shallow surface cut. That changes with a lightsaber.

EDIT: Note also that most of the pre-fencing era German and Italian schools of swordfighting involve HEAVY grappling arts combined with swords... and many of the moves are INTENDED to bring the edge of the blade into one of the positions where even with no force other than a draw cut the blade is still dangerous... mostly groin and throat moves.

And yeah... I've tussled with a couple of "commandos" (If you consider Navy SEALs Commandos, one of whom is also a Kung Fu instuctor). Got myself right tore up too, but I'm no Jedi. Even then... I walked away from the fight. Took 6 months or so for my ribs to heal, but I avoided getting any limbs broken. Was a close thing, but the little aikido I picked up sparring back in the good ole days served me in good stead, defensively. In general, learning defensive techniques, including how to prevent getting into a nasty lock, is always easier than learning how to execute said locks.

Dammit, and I told myself I wasn't going to get involved in this whole stupid "Commandos are 733+ k177xxors! Jed1s are teh suxxor 'cause they are stupid hippys. Commandos would pwn jedis" conversation....

I would be VERY interested in hearing more about your sword experiences and your run in with the Seals. For that alone, you are getting repped.

But, it doesn't matter if the sword can cut through anything, if I am constantly keeping the hand that holds it far to the outside of the fight and pointed away from me. If you turn it off, and then try to point it at me, well, I will treat it as a very short range gun. Knock the aim away from my body.

I for one am disgusted with the way this whole topic has been discussed. Especially from Manic Typist and Nolgroth! Here we are nearing the end of 2005 and we still have people who don't know how to have a proper arguement over the internet. Where are the accusations of homosexuallity? Where are the threats against eachothers famillies? And where are the sacred cries of "n00b!1!"? And how dare you reasonably concede points when a convincing arguement is made! For shame, Manic Typist, for shame Nolgroth.

:lol:

Well, I for one will have to take action on this. You Big Mean Person you! How do you like that!?! Huh? That's what I thought. Well there's plenty more where that came from. :)

From my limited experience with swordfighting from the SCA back in college and some fencing classes, arm grappling usually comes into play more with polearms because you're relatively safe reaching for the shaft. With a long sword you need a fair amount up upper arm whereas with a rapier you're doing a lot more with your wrists. A lightsaber basically weighs nothing so you're probably more likely going with a fencing stance. Darth Sideous even had a pistol grip like my fencing instructor had. So think sword in the front and opposite arm behind to minimize the amount of stuff in the way. With a lightsaber if somebody did grab your forearm you still have a chance to swat at them with your wrist since the weapon is essentially weightless and just needs to brush against them. A commando really needs to be careful because if you dropped it, it'd probably take their leg off. Since you're in a fencing stance, your sword would be fairly far from your body and you'd be relatively safe. You could compare it to trying to disarm somebody with a plasma cutter or something like that. Just a brush is enough to main someone.