7	REC	0
40	END	0
32	STUN	0		Total Characteristics Cost:  114

Movement:	Running:  6"/12"
Swimming:  2"/4"

Cost	Powers & Skills
13	"I Don't Think It's Nice, You Laughin'.":  +20 PRE; Only To Make Presence 
Attacks (-1/2)
23	"Get Three Coffins Ready.":  Area Of Effect (8" Cone; +1) and Selective (+1/4) for 
any non-Autofire firearm built on up to 60 Active Points; OIF (non-Autofire firearms of 
opportunity; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase; -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Must Use 1 Charge 
Per Target Fired At (-1/4), Not While Targeting (-1/2)
20	Never Seems To Miss I:  Area Of Effect (One Hex Accurate; +1/2) for any firearm built 
on up to 60 Active Points; OIF (firearms of opportunity; -1/2)
11	Never Seems To Miss II:  Line Of Sight (+1/2) for any firearm built on up to 60 Active 
Points; OIF (firearms of opportunity; -1/2), Concentrate (0 DCV, totally unaware of 
nearby events; -3/4), Extra Time (Full Phase; -1/2)

Martial Arts:  Dirty Infighting
Maneuver	OCV	DCV	Damage
4	Block	+2	+2	Block, Abort
4	Knifehand Chop/Punch
	+0	+2	5d6 Strike
3	Throw	+0	+1	3d6 + v/5; Target Falls

11	Hard To Hurt:  Physical Damage Reduction, 50%; Character Must Be Aware Of 
Attack (-1/4), STUN Only (-1/2)
10	"Every Gun Makes Its Own Tune.":  Detect Make Of Firearm (Hearing Group), 
Discriminatory; Limited Range (must be within reasonable range to hear firearm; -1/4) 15-

Talents:
30	"Your Spurs.":  Danger Sense (sense, immediate vicinity, out of combat) 15-
8	Master Of The Revolver:  Deadly Blow (RKA +2d6; OIF (weapons of opportunity;
-1/2), Only With Pistols -2))
Resistance

Skills:
2	Hipshooter:  Combat Skill Levels:  +1 OCV with Hipshot
16	"I Do The Cutting.":  Targeting Skill Levels:  +8 OCV versus Hit Location Modifiers 
with Firearms

2	AK:  New Mexico Territory 11-
3	Climbing 12-
0	Concealment 8-
0	Conversation 8-
0	Deduction 8-
3	Demolitions 12-
13	Fast Draw (Small Arms) 18-
3	Gambling (Poker) 13-
1	Language: English (native, literate)
0	Paramedic 8-
3	"The Heart, Ramone. Don't Forget The Heart.":  Persuasion 13-
0	PS:  Bounty Killer 11-
3	Riding 13-
0	Shadowing 8-
3	Stealth 13-
2	Survival (Deserts) 12-
1	TF:  Carts & Carriages, Equines
3	WF:  Small Arms, Early Emplaced Weapons
195	Total Powers & Skills Cost
309	Total Character Cost

100+	Disadvantages
5	Distinctive Features:  smokes cigars constantly (EC)
15	Psychological Limitation:  "There's money to be made in a place like this" (C, S)
15	Psychological Limitation:  "I knew someone like you once, and there was no one there 
to help." (C, S)
174	The Man With No Name Bonus
309	Total Disadvantage Points

Background/History:

He has no name, no past, no friends, and to be honest, no future. At one point he claims to have come from Illinois, but that is probably just another fabrication used to further his own ends. He is The Man With No Name and he is a gunfighter of unequaled skill and speed. A drifter, he stays no where for long, and usually works as a "bounty killer," hunting down criminals and bringing them in -- dead or alive, it doesn't matter much. He might be enticed to remain in one place for a while, if the money is right, but odds are, he soon move on, leaving only bodies in his wake.

Personality/Motivation:

A loner, The Man With No Name doesn't like to work with others, although at one point in his career he did team up with wanted criminals to work a bounty scam. In general, however, he only looks out for himself, and money is his prime motivation. However, even money won't but the Man's loyalty, only his skill with the gun, and a better offer might just get him to switch sides. However, the Man isn't totally heartless, and although he doesn't exactly have a soft spot for children, he also doesn't like to see women or children harmed and may, totally unasked and unexpected, step in and defend them from another attacker.

Quote:

"Get three coffins ready."

"I don't think it's nice, you laughin'."

"Well, if there's going to be any shooting, I've gotta get my rest."

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Powers/Tactics:

With a .45 revolver in his hand, The Man With No Name has no equal. He is incredibly fast on the draw, and is quite capable of gunning down three (or more) men in an eyeblink, firing off all of his shots before his targets can even get their own guns out. He never seems to miss a shot either, and if given a moment to settle himself and fix the sights on a rifle is capable of shooting lengths of rope apart. As can be expected of someone with such a dangerous lifestyle, The Man With No Name is very perceptive of his surroundings, and the slightest out-of-place sound is often enough to alert him to danger.

In combat, The Man With No Name almost goes on the offensive, firing first in order to drop all of his foes before then even get a chance to return fire. He's no fool, however, and will often make some sort of speech (a PRE Attack) in an effort to throw off and/or rattle his opponents, thus allowing him the change to act first.

Appearance:

Tall and lean, The Man With No Name stands over 6' in height. He has dirty blond hair, a scruffy beard, and is normally found smoking a thin cigar. He wears boots, black jeans, a blue shirt, a sheepskin vest, and a brown serape with white markings. In his gunbelt is a .45 revolver.

Designer's Notes:

Basically created by Clint Eastwood and Sergio Leone, The Man With No Name is now a classic Western archtype. His origins can be traced to the character of Sanjuro, played by Japanese actor Toshiro Mifune in the film Yojimbo, and apparently the model for Clint's portrayal of "Joe" in A Fistful of Dollars.

A short list of "Man With No Name" films is as follows: A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West (here he's played by Charles Bronson, although Eastwood was invited to play the part), High Plains Drifter (although it can be argued that the character is actually the ghost of the slain sheriff), and Pale Rider. The film Unforgiven may show The Man With No Name at the end of his life, blessed now with a name, an (ex-)wife, and children, and may serve as a final chapter in the character's story.

The character of the Man With No Name, the novel The Lord Of The Rings, and the film The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, is what inspiried author Stephen King to create and write his multi-volume epic The Dark Tower.

(The Man With No Name created by Sergio Leone and Clint Eastwood (with help from Toshiro Mifune), character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

Re: Character: The Man With No Name

You have done an excellent job with the character, however, I must point out that The Man With No Name didn't use a .45 in at least one film -- Pale Rider. I'll have to research it a bit more, but I'm thinking it was a .38 Navy cap and ball pistol in which each chamber of the cylinder had to be loaded with powder and a ball with a percussion cap inserted at the base of the chamber. As I remember, he had an ammunition belt with four or five pre-loaded cylinders for the pistol.

That nitpicking aside, this was a fun and great writeup! I will try to rep for it, because it is certainly worthy. :)

Matt [insert whistle from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly here] Frisbee

You have done an excellent job with the character' date=' however, I must point out that The Man With No Name didn't use a .45 in at least one film -- Pale Rider. I'll have to research it a bit more, but I'm thinking it was a .38 Navy cap and ball pistol in which each chamber of the cylinder had to be loaded with powder and a ball with a percussion cap inserted at the base of the chamber. As I remember, he had an ammunition belt with four or five pre-loaded cylinders for the pistol.[/quote']

I haven't seen Pale Rider in some time, so I can't comment. In any event, this version is based purely on the classic Sergio Leone trilogy. :)

Great write up. I can't wait to see the write up for the Old Man (Lee Van Cleef).

Designer's Notes:

Basically created by Clint Eastwood and Sergio Leone, The Man With No Name is now a classic Western archtype. His origins can be traced to the character of Sanjuro, played by Japanese actor Toshiro Mifune in the film Yojimbo, and apparently the model for Clint's portrayal of "Joe" in A Fistful of Dollars.

(The Man With No Name created by Sergio Leone and Clint Eastwood (with help from Toshiro Mifune), character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

Actually, the history of the "Man with No Name" goes back farther than that. Yojimbo was based on the book Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett. In Red Harvest the protagonist goes simply by the "Continental Op" (short for continental operative), the original man with no name. I believe the continental op also appeared in another novel and a bunch of short stories.

Actually' date=' the history of the "Man with No Name" goes back farther than that. [i']Yojimbo[/i] was based on the book Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett. In Red Harvest the protagonist goes simply by the "Continental Op" (short for continental operative), the original man with no name. I believe the continental op also appeared in another novel and a bunch of short stories.

According to this Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yojimbo_%28film%29

a film called The GlassKey was the inspiration for Yojimbo, although many have stated the plot is basically the same as Red Harvest.

More on Red Harvest here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Harvest

I remember the Glass Key.

Alan Ladd is a friend to a politician during an election. A murder happens, and it looks at first that it was done just to frame his friend, so Ladd begins to investigate, trying to deal with the newspapers and the political process at the same time.

CES

Actually' date=' the history of the "Man with No Name" goes back farther than that. [i']Yojimbo[/i] was based on the book Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett. In Red Harvest the protagonist goes simply by the "Continental Op" (short for continental operative), the original man with no name. I believe the continental op also appeared in another novel and a bunch of short stories.
Just to nitpick. Kurosawa said his inspiration was The Glass Key. Heros who don't give a name go back well before that. No matter what, the Man with No Name was directly inspired by Yojimbo.

Just to nitpick. Kurosawa said his inspiration was The Glass Key. Heros who don't give a name go back well before that. No matter what' date=' the Man with No Name was directly inspired by Yojimbo.[/quote']

Jeese Louise! It seems that all of my favorite westerns have some sort of Japanese progenitor influence! :) I guess westerns are cooler than I thought!

Matt "Eatin'-humble-pie-again" Frisbee

Jeese Louise! It seems that all of my favorite westerns have some sort of Japanese progenitor influence! :) I guess westerns are cooler than I thought!

Yes, but I'm fairly sure Kurosawa wanted to make a "western" when he made Yojimbo so it all works out in the end. :)

Wow. Love this write-up. I especially like the style of using quotations to explain inspirations for the abilities. It helps gel your design' date=' and gives me great trips down memory lane.[/quote']

If you liked that technique here, you should see what I did with Captain Jack Sparrow: http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionsmovie/jacksparrow.html

I think after you do The Old Man/Angel Eyes you should complete the set with Tuco, the Man with No Name's partner/rival in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. He was a fascianting, colorful character -- a bandit with some skill but not very successful, who could be brave or cowardly depending on his surroundings, and with a priest for a brother yet who has utterly rejected religion.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is not not one of the great Westerns -- in my opinion it is one of the triumphs of cinema. I didn't even get to see it through until about seven years ago and was astounded by its savage beauty, the way it showed the humanity and the inhumanity of all sides in the Civil War, and by the sheer artistry of how it was made.