Originally posted by JmOz

The List I have so far (and I know I am missing some):

Marksmen (A Weapon expert-Gun)

Icestar (A Ice Projector)

Flare (A Blaster)

Rose (a Psi)

(Growth)

Any others?

I came in when the Guardians were no longer being used as 'the' team for CHAMPIONS, but the name 'Gargoyle' is coming to mind. Whether he was an original member of them or not, I do not know.

Yeah I think they were called the Guardians.

Marksman (Weapons master)

Rose (Not sure, Poss a MA with Desolid???)

Goliath (Growth)

OK I can't remember the others but there were 2 more if memory serves. An Ice guy and another woman.

Sorry that's the best I can do.

ther is a nice pic of them on my 2nd printing of Champions II

WC

Looks like between the 3 of us we go this one nailed :-) And I think Hermit's right about Gargoyl

I think the core team consisted of:

Dove

Flare

Gargoyle

Goliath

Icestar

Marksman

Rose

I think there were also quite a few alternate members. I seem to remember someone called Hunter from the early books as well. There could be more but that is all I remember.

Originally posted by JmOz

What do we know about Gargoyle?

This is more related to the comics that were published than the game the characters were taken from, but according to this

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/herogame.htm

He was the victim of a genetic virus that transformed him. Powers included super strength, durability, and wings for flight.

I believe Hunter is just Marksman's other name for the comics, so to avoid Copyright infringement. They changed Rose to Psyche eventually.

Re: The Guardians

Originally posted by TheQuestionMan

Check out the Heroic Publishing web site for the comics . Pretty funny stuff actually . Reminds me of some of our groups first games .

heroic publishings characters are based off that original play test group - And yes they were

Marksman (Now called Huntsman)

Rose

Icestar

Flare

Giant

Mentioned as a member but never show was Gargoyle

Lady Arcane, SparkPlug and Icicle were added to the 'line up' during the series.

Heroic publishing is apparently getting ready to re-enter the comic writing/drawing arena with a new flare title (set 5 years or so after the original comics, after the League of Champions broke up)

The Champions comic series took some liberties with the members of the Guardians as depicted in the early Champs game books, but as far as I've been able to piece it out the membership included:

Marksman: martial artist/gadgeteer - updated version of him was used in the New Millenium setting IIRC;

Goliath: growing brick, called "Giant" in the comic series to avoid confusion with Marvel's Goliath;

Flare: flying energy-projector;

Icestar: ice-elemental;

Rose: teleporting mentalist/mystic;

Gargoyle: monstrous flying brick, never used in the comic but some great Mark Williams illos of him in Champions III;

Dove: from the references to him I think he was a martial artist, but he never appeared in Champions books or the comic series to my knowledge.

There may have been other members - sample character names were used for various power and skill examples in the early books, but I don't know how many of them were actually played characters.

IIRC, the original Gremlin had a similar origin to Gargoyle's, and I believe received her powers the same way Gargoyle did. This was later changed in Classic Enemies to remove all the Gargoyle references, but I think if you look at Gremlin's character sheet you will get a reasonable template for what Gargoyle should look like (my guess being that Gargoyle would have some additional STR (40-45) and DEX (26-27) and perhaps less INT (10)).

• 4 weeks later...