Character for Review and Advice Soliciting

Eyendasky80

I'm building this for my wife, basic concept I'm going for is flying brick/brawler like Hawkgirl. Mostly I need help with the megascale flying, never had much of a grip on that stuff and rarely use it, but would like to incorporate it here. Any other advice and critiques are gladly welcomed.

Player: The Wife

Val Char Cost

40 STR 30

23 DEX 39

28 CON 36

20 BODY 20

13 INT 3

14 EGO 8

25 PRE 15

16 COM 3

10/20 PD 2

10/20 ED 4

5 SPD 17

14 REC 0

60 END 2

55 STUN 1

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

8" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 182

Cost Power

20 Wings: Multipower, 35-point reserve, all slots: (35 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

2u 1) Bird of Prey: Flight 15", x4 Noncombat (35 Active Points)

1u 2) Guardian Angel: Force Wall (6 PD/6 ED; 3" long and 1" tall) (34 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Restricted Shape (-1/4)

1u 3) Super Sonic: Flight 6", Megascale (1" = 10 km; +1/2), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (24 Active Points)

20 Modular Weapon Array: Multipower, 30-point reserve, all slots: (30 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

1u 1) Bluntside: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6 (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

2u 2) Bladeside: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD) (30 Active Points)

2u 3) Energy Blade: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (plus STR) (vs. ED), Penetrating (x2; +1) (30 Active Points)

30 Carapace: Armor (10 PD/10 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (37 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

20 Reinforced Skeleton: Physical Damage Reduction, 50%

8 Eagle Eyes: Telescopic +5 to PER Rolls (only to offset the Range Modifier) (Sight Group)

6 Skilled Hunter: Enhanced Perception (+2 to PER Rolls for All Sense Groups)

Powers Cost: 113

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

5 Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove

5 Flying Grab: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, +10 STR for holding on; FMove

5 Passing Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Disarm, +10 STR to Disarm roll; FMove

5 Passing Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +v/5; FMove

2 Weapon Element: Blades, Clubs

Martial Arts Cost: 22

Cost Skill

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Combat Piloting 14-

10 +2 with HTH Combat

3 Defense Maneuver: I

1 Forensic Medicine 8-

2 Navigation (Air) 12-

3 Paramedics 12-

3 PS: Nursing (INT-based) 12-

3 Stealth 14-

Skills Cost: 31

Cost Perk

1 Fringe Benefit: Nursing Certificate

Perks Cost: 1

Cost Talent

3 Bump Of Direction

Talents Cost: 3

Total Character Cost: 350

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 150

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Re: Character for Review and Advice Soliciting

Cost Power

20 Wings: Multipower, 35-point reserve, all slots: (35 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

2u 1) Bird of Prey: Flight 15", x4 Noncombat (35 Active Points)

1u 2) Guardian Angel: Force Wall (6 PD/6 ED; 3" long and 1" tall) (34 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Restricted Shape (-1/4)

1u 3) Super Sonic: Flight 6", Megascale (1" = 10 km; +1/2), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (24 Active Points)[\quote]

I'd probably ditch the x4 NCM on Flight for more speed in combat - she'll use Megascale for long trips anyway.

I think your megascale is OK. Of course, that assumes you consider travelling at 1500 km/minute (90,000 kph) "OK".

A Weapon Element with Martial Arts would boost the character's damage pretty significantly. Might want to consider adding that, but reducing STR to get a damage level you're comfortable with.

I gave her the noncombat multiplier because her supersonic flight will cross whole counties at a bare minimum, so she'll be tooling around town with her regular flight. sixty inches seems like a good cruising speed. Weapon element is a good idea, I'll dig up the point somewhere.

You might consider splitting the basic flight into two slots - one with more combat speed, one with more noncombat multipliers.

Lucius Alexander

But what do I know, I ride around on a palindromedary

I know all campaigns are different...

But her standard attack would seem to be a 17d6 passing strike. :eek: And she has 20 defenses. If she got hit with her own attack on average (say, 60 stun, 17 body, 10" KB [assuming she's not flying when hit]) as a physical attack, even with the damage reduction, she'd end up losing half her stun from the hit + KB in one shot. If it was an energy attack, she'd be down to about 8 stun and stunned from that one shot (40 stun from the attack, 15/2 = 7 stun from KB). Both times of course assuming she hits something solid. If that's good for the campaign she'll be in, lead on MacDuff.

From a concept standpoint, what's the basis for things? Some basic powers/mods (DR, perception), some sort of triggered change to get the OIHID armor/wings, and a seperate weapon she carries around and straps on an arm or something?

Well the concept is she's an alien with an organic armor that's stored beneath her skin and when she's in battle it looks like power armor. but it's actually organic. So it's a part of her, but it looks like a costume. The Modular Weapon Array is an external version of the same substance that makes up her wings and armor that can take the form of any melee weapon. "Knives, stabbing weapons"

Hers is a warrior race and this organic metal that composes part of their body also lines her organs, muscles and skeleton giving her enhanced strength, reflexes and durability. I was thinking of Nth metal... TO THE EXTREME. The enhanced perception is the result of her species evolution into flying warriors.

Maybe I'll reduce her str and increase her dexterity, speed or defenses, but I wanted her to be a little different from Hawkgirl by being more of a demi-brick than a straight martial artist. I was also thinking about giving her a little regen to represent the metal repairing injury and shoring up cuts. It would be a cool special effect that whenever she gets cut a silver metal fills in the hole.

Edit: It's might not be readily apparent, but the forcewall is her spreading her armored wings to defend.

My main suggestion is that calling her "the wife" will only end badly. If she's not important enough to be "my wife" or "my bride" or something sappy like that' date=' then she's probably gonna feel left out of the game.[/quote']

Well, I'm leaving the naming to my wife. I'd probably call her Raptor or something stupid like that. Anyone got any ideas?

Well' date=' I'm leaving the naming to my wife. I'd probably call her Raptor or something stupid like that. Anyone got any ideas?[/quote']

Well, if you secretly harbor feelings that your wife is always nagging you... you might consider calling her character Magpie. (jk) :D

Sorry, being only 25 you probably don't know too much about Heckle & Jeckle. Take a look: http://www.toonopedia.com/hekljekl.htm

Well the concept is she's an alien with an organic armor that's stored beneath her skin and when she's in battle it looks like power armor. but it's actually organic. So it's a part of her, but it looks like a costume. The Modular Weapon Array is an external version of the same substance that makes up her wings and armor that can take the form of any melee weapon. "Knives, stabbing weapons"

Hers is a warrior race and this organic metal that composes part of their body also lines her organs, muscles and skeleton giving her enhanced strength, reflexes and durability. I was thinking of Nth metal... TO THE EXTREME. The enhanced perception is the result of her species evolution into flying warriors.

Insanely nitpicky detail/suggestion time:

Ok, so her species has evolved into flying warriors, but they don't have the natural ability to fly--since her flight comes through a symbiote. This seems a little bit unusual.

So, proposed origin solutions:

1) Most members of her species have natural wings. Hers got severed somehow, and the symbiote wings are a replacement--which helps deflect the "They naturally fly at supersonic speeds?" question.

2) Her species has evolved to work with this particular line of symbiotes/modifications. This would imply some kind of highly competitive testing/screening process, and the candidates who biologically don't work well with the symbiotes either die or don't get to breed.

3) The entire race was engineered.

Hmm. Not bad, not bad at all.

You probably want Feedback on the Force Wall, though

You realize the MS flight is absurdly fast, right? The +1/4 version is still far too fast for something that flies by flapping its wings, but less insane.

God I hate megascale.

Anyway, here’s how I’d do it.

20 (20) EC: Bio Booster Armor: Arial Combat Type

27 (60) Mistress of the Air 20” Flight, +1/4 Variable Advantage (+1/2) Restrainable*(-1/2)

10 (40) Guardian Angel 8/8 Force Wall, 1”x3”, Feedback (-1), No Range (-1/2) Lockout: Flight (-1/2)

20 (40) Organic Metal Carpace 10PD/10ED Force Field, No End (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2)

30 (30) Organic Metal Weapons 30 pt Multipower

3u (30) Organic Metal Blades 1d6+1 HKA (2 1/2 d6 w’ STR), No End (+1/2)

2u (30) Final Attack-Energy Blade!! 2d6 RKA, x2 End (-1/2)

2u (30) Hard As Steel +4d6 HA, No End (+1/2), HA (-1/2)

The Variable Advantage on the Flight gives you No Turn Mode, Usable as Gliding, Half End, and Megascale (if you must . . .) on the Flight as needed. Alternatively, you can buy x16 NCM instead, which is nice, because it doesn’t use Megascale. (And, as mentioned, something that needs to flap it’s wings shouldn’t)

The FW gets lockout because she’ll be flying most all the time, the Flight doesn’t, for the same reason

My version seems a bit more expensive, but it isn’t, really. If you put OIHID on the EC (though I’m not sure what the limitation is, in this case) and OIF on the Multipower, it comes to 90 points.

More importantly, this way you don’t need the martial arts. (You’ve got a 12d6 punch, a 12d6 Move By, and an 18 1/2 d6!! Move through) which will give you a net savings of 11 pts, which you can use to buy skill levels to balance out the CV you lose with the MA.

Alternatively, (and I don’t really like this option just because I don’t like the way the ‘fmove’ martial maneuvers work) you can ditch the multipower altogether, put the ‘blade’ slot into the EC, and add Offensive Strike to the MA list. (in place of grab or disarm, you probably don’t need both)

I’d lose the Damage reduction, and add 4 points each of PD and ED, and 4/4 Armor. That would raise the total defense to 28, which is low enough that you’ll feel hits, but high enough that you can take a couple, and combined with the high Con should keep you on your feet. I’d drop Body by 5, take that Regeneration, (5 points) and use the other five for skills, or to balance out the cost difference.

Another point of speed would be nice for a kinda-speedster, but it’s not really needed, and xp should take care of that.

Oh, and you probably want Power: Flight instead of Combat Piloting, especially considering she don’t have any Transport Familarities. :)

* For the record, I think Restranable to cover wings that need to be flapped to be equivalent to buying Restranable on your legs for your running, or on your arms for punching. This isn’t an opinion shared by the rulebook, though, so feel free to ignore it. :)

---

“It’s a pressure cannon, that contains a gravity weapon!”

Edit: Damn you, [/b]. Damn you to hell.

Wow, that is some excellent feedback. Thank you!

Hmm. Not bad, not bad at all.

You probably want Feedback on the Force Wall, though

Maybe, but I'd thought if her wings stopped the blast, she wouldn't take stun. Basically the equivalent of bouncing small arms fire off her armor. With feedback she takes that stun, right?

You realize the MS flight is absurdly fast, right? The +1/4 version is still far too fast for something that flies by flapping its wings, but less insane.

God I hate megascale.

I know, but she doesn't flap her wings. It's like Hawkgirl, she uses them for maneuvering, the flight is an inherent ability from the organic metal in her body. The Supersonic flight is her opening it up all the way.

Anyway, here’s how I’d do it.

20 (20) EC: Bio Booster Armor: Arial Combat Type

27 (60) Mistress of the Air 20†Flight, +1/4 Variable Advantage (+1/2) Restrainable*(-1/2)

10 (40) Guardian Angel 8/8 Force Wall, 1â€x3â€, Feedback (-1), No Range (-1/2) Lockout: Flight (-1/2)

20 (40) Organic Metal Carpace 10PD/10ED Force Field, No End (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2)

30 (30) Organic Metal Weapons 30 pt Multipower

3u (30) Organic Metal Blades 1d6+1 HKA (2 1/2 d6 w’ STR), No End (+1/2)

2u (30) Final Attack-Energy Blade!! 2d6 RKA, x2 End (-1/2)

2u (30) Hard As Steel +4d6 HA, No End (+1/2), HA (-1/2)

I like the way you buil the EC, I take it you used a force field not to break the no 0end powers for EC rule? My wife didn't want any ranged weapons and I wanted an attack with penetrating or AP for the tough nuts to crack.

The Variable Advantage on the Flight gives you No Turn Mode' date=' Usable as Gliding, Half End, and Megascale (if you must . . .) on the Flight as needed. Alternatively, you can buy x16 NCM instead, which is nice, because it doesn’t use Megascale. (And, as mentioned, something that needs to flap it’s wings shouldn’t)[/quote']

I like that idea.

The FW gets lockout because she’ll be flying most all the time' date=' the Flight doesn’t, for the same reason[/quote']

10-4

My version seems a bit more expensive' date=' but it isn’t, really. If you put OIHID on the EC (though I’m not sure what the limitation is, in this case) and OIF on the Multipower, it comes to 90 points.[/quote']

Well, she maintains a secret identity and she can't use the powers that are OIHID without her armor. Unless I absolutely HAVE to come up with a way to stop her from doing so, I won't. But if I did, I'd just say that she has to speak a command phrase to call the configure the metal.

More importantly' date=' this way you don’t need the martial arts. (You’ve got a 12d6 punch, a 12d6 Move By, and an 18 1/2 d6!! Move through) which will give you a net savings of 11 pts, which you can use to buy skill levels to balance out the CV you lose with the MA.[/Quote']

I like the martial arts.

I’d lose the Damage reduction' date=' and add 4 points each of PD and ED, and 4/4 Armor. That would raise the total defense to 28, which is low enough that you’ll feel hits, but high enough that you can take a couple, and combined with the high Con should keep you on your feet. I’d drop Body by 5, take that Regeneration, (5 points) and use the other five for skills, or to balance out the cost difference.[/quote']

The DR is a part of her concept. Her body is infused with this metal, making her more resistant to damage. However, her actually armored shell is visible when in use, so I wanted her to have some DR to represent that even when she isn't wearing the armor, the metal provides protection. I am thinking about that regen.

Another point of speed would be nice for a kinda-speedster' date=' but it’s not really needed, and xp should take care of that.[/quote']

I'm going more for a Brick/Speedster than a Speedster, maybe with her xp, it's up to her.

Oh' date=' and you probably want Power: Flight instead of Combat Piloting, especially considering she don’t have any Transport Familarities. :)[/quote']

That was my oversite, rather buy the TFs than otherwise. Also meant to build her a spaceship, I'll work on it.

* For the record' date=' I think Restranable to cover wings that need to be flapped to be equivalent to buying Restranable on your legs for your running, or on your arms for punching. This isn’t an opinion shared by the rulebook, though, so feel free to ignore it. :)[/quote']

Well, I don't agree with that, if you didn't take the disad, you couldn't be restrained like with running or punching because there would be no wings to grab and hold so the analogy doesn't hold true. Running and punching are inherently restrainable, flying is not.

If you want to keep the MA, you can just swap out one of the manuvers for Offensive Strike or Sacrifice Strike, and drop the HA slot, and that keeps the damage more or less even.

Maybe, but I'd thought if her wings stopped the blast, she wouldn't take stun. Basically the equivalent of bouncing small arms fire off her armor. With feedback she takes that stun, right?

Yes, but she’ll get the walls DEF added to hers.

I know, but she doesn't flap her wings. It's like Hawkgirl, she uses them for maneuvering, the flight is an inherent ability from the organic metal in her body. The Supersonic flight is her opening it up all the way.

Ah, ok. I didn’t get that. (I was a Marvel kid, and I know little of the hawk people)

Maybe she should only have restranable on the top half of the flight, since she can fly without them, just not as well.

I like the way you buil the EC, I take it you used a force field not to break the no 0end powers for EC rule? My wife didn't want any ranged weapons and I wanted an attack with penetrating or AP for the tough nuts to crack.

Partially. It also gives you the transformation sequence effect, because it’s not always on. :)

---

Well, I don't agree with that, if you didn't take the disad, you couldn't be restrained like with running or punching because there would be no wings to grab and hold so the analogy doesn't hold true. Running and punching are inherently restrainable, flying is not.

If you want superman-style no-effect flight, then flight should be bought with a non-restrain able advantage. Otherwise, flight should be more expensive than running, which it isn’t.

But it’s an old argument, and the rules agree with you, not me. :)