Symbiotes in a Fantasy Setting - Multipower?

Thia Halmades

Here's my other major query of the morning:

One of my races (Sea-Orks) have learned how to harvest Blood Coral, a parasitic life form which feeds on the wearer. They've harnessed and learned to apply it in limited form to assist them. It acts as an armor (in a different campaign it could be the foundation for a Warhammer 40K bull bore power armor, but we're sticking to some basics here).

Given that the Symbiote is effectively being self-preservatory, anytime its abilities (extra Defense, etc.) are manifested, it consumes END (blood) from the user. So there's a risk/reward happening for wearing the stuff. I've been spinning ideas on how to do it properly in my head for ages, but I'm coming up blank. So here's what I want:

- I want the stuff to provide a decent amount (5 rPD maybe) of base defense.

- I want it to be restrictive, so in that sense it may merely act as an armor.

- It can be deactivated/turned off and concealed.

- It can add to STR, but it isn't intelligent, so it likely won't add to CSLs.

- What other things do you think somethink like this could be capable of?

How would you build it? I'm open to suggestions.

Re: Symbiotes in a Fantasy Setting - Multipower?

Here's my other major query of the morning:

One of my races (Sea-Orks) have learned how to harvest Blood Coral, a parasitic life form which feeds on the wearer. They've harnessed and learned to apply it in limited form to assist them. It acts as an armor (in a different campaign it could be the foundation for a Warhammer 40K bull bore power armor, but we're sticking to some basics here).

Given that the Symbiote is effectively being self-preservatory, anytime its abilities (extra Defense, etc.) are manifested, it consumes END (blood) from the user. So there's a risk/reward happening for wearing the stuff. I've been spinning ideas on how to do it properly in my head for ages, but I'm coming up blank. So here's what I want:

- I want the stuff to provide a decent amount (5 rPD maybe) of base defense.

- I want it to be restrictive, so in that sense it may merely act as an armor.

- It can be deactivated/turned off and concealed.

- It can add to STR, but it isn't intelligent, so it likely won't add to CSLs.

- What other things do you think somethink like this could be capable of?

How would you build it? I'm open to suggestions.

Armor 5/5 Costs END (-1/2) (15 AP); RC: 10

+5 STR Visible (-1/4), x2 END (-1/2), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (5 AP); RC: 2

Total Cost: 12

Disadvantage: Susceptible to Loss of Symbiote (some amt of damage, Instant)

I'd imagine the presence of a symbiote would complicate' date=' perhaps even rule out, most attempts at Healing. That's not much of a Limitation, though.[/quote']

I'd add even more science to it-

The symbiote is acting like an organ-transplant so obviously must be injecting something to stop rejection. It would lower the user's immune system and they'd be more prone to disease. Give them a susceptibility and a vulnerability based on disease and infection.

Good morning!

My problem is that I have a unique ability to take something simple, overly complicate it, then pare it back down until it's not quite as simple, but more complex than it was. So, few things.

One of the suggestions Steve Long had was to make it BODY loss, which is severe based on what I want it to do, although I can certainly see it draining the host to heal itself, and with that suggestion it becomes a true parasite - "Thwack, take 4 & 14 - and take another two as your Symbiote heals itself, so six." Player, now half way through a fight: "What?" thud.

Also, tying that to Monster's suggestion of reducing the REC also makes perfect sense, considering that the Symbiote is stretching and exerting itself, and it only gains power from the host, so the host is being tapped (END cost) and then splitting its own REC (reduced REC time). Fantastic suggestion.

As an armor it needs to have both BODY & DEF of its own; basically, its DEF is what's interposing itself between the PC and the Symbiote. A Symbiote reduced to 0 BODY will start to drain the host to keep itself alive; while it isn't "intelligent" it is fully symbiotic; it knows that its host dying is a bad, bad thing and will go to great lengths to prevent it. It also has a basic desire to keep itself alive. It knows when it's combat/high stress siutations (it's taking damage, it's in heavy use, it can read the biorhythmics of the host).

So I'd need to stat out the Symbiote for purposes of tracking its health and, when its fully exposed (for puposes of adding STR, or creating a weapon out of itself (separate idea, I'll get to that in a moment)) it can take BODY, and it could reasonably be killed, although I'll have a Trigger (Drains BODY from Host when BODY is reduced to 0 or less; 0 phase action, does not occur if already at negative its own BODY).

It can be healed, but only by draining its Host or recovering itself over time (probably at the same natural rate of healing as the host).

Multipower (newbie attempt, pardon my shorthand). All powers cost END, and may cost Increased END (x2). Any powers used reduce the users REC rate until all END is recovered. This applies whether using one power or twelve powers. That may be too unbalancing, but I'm not certain.

I like the STR build that Killer Shrike provided, although I'm not sure which ones Figured Characteristics are, I'm assuming that means you just get stronger - can you jump further? That would make sense to me as well, considering that it would be a manifestation around your legs.

I'd like it to have a DRAIN BODY & END attack as it draws off targets during grapples to fuel itself. This could also count towards its own recovery and accelerate/alleviate the recovery of the Host. This is gruesome, and in a fantasy setting would probably be considered evil and give rise to all sorts of vampire legends.

Hey. I just created the foundation mythology for water bound vampires; people who gave themselves over to the coral so completely that they lost their own sentience and became blood sucking monsters. COOL. I love it when that happens. This needs more work. I'll go back to thinking. All posts have been helpful and are welcome!

Wonder if it does long term Transform Damage under the proper circumstances. Hrm.

I thought foci already had BODY and Def...

If the character paid points for them it would mean they get new ones eventually or that they "heal" themselves no?

Side Effects can be tricky things as Limitations, so if you are going that route use some caution. They are great ways of doing the getting hurt, weak, ugly if you use this power thing.

Good morning!

Also, tying that to Monster's suggestion of reducing the REC also makes perfect sense, considering that the Symbiote is stretching and exerting itself, and it only gains power from the host, so the host is being tapped (END cost) and then splitting its own REC (reduced REC time). Fantastic suggestion.

I like the STR build that Killer Shrike provided, although I'm not sure which ones Figured Characteristics are, I'm assuming that means you just get stronger - can you jump further? That would make sense to me as well, considering that it would be a manifestation around your legs.

Thanks for the compliment!

BTW, Figured Characteristics are the ones that are calculated from others, so raising STR also increases PD and STUN, as well as Jumping.

From your description, including the things having their own sense of survival and such, don't make it a Focus, or even a power at all - make it a Follower! Then it is its own full character sheet, with seperate stats for everything, just like, say, a hunting dog or something. And just like some hunting dogs, it has its own set of disads, which may include a certain preference for self over the welfare of its "master," or some kind of more harmful tendency (e.g., for an attack dog, a Berserk psychlim would be quite approriate). Then the host of your coral critter just pays one-fifth the value of the critter. Easier on him accounting-wise, and easier for everyone to seperate out just what the source of the various powers are.

For the armor effect, you could simply declare that the critter covers locations x thru y if you're using hit location rules, or that any hit has a 14- less chance of hitting the coral instead.

Hmm - you could use a twisting of the Knockback rules also: when the coral is hit, make a Knockback check. The host takes damage as if the coral had just been knocked back into him (from zero distance, of course). This alone could be enough of an armoring effect that you wouldn't have to worry about the critter actually adding any armor directly to the host!

*snaps fingers* Follower. A dependent follower which requires blood from its host in order to survive. Gains its own stats, and uses its powers to share said stats with the host. It can split, it can be killed, it has its own EGO and may attempt to take over a weaker host who can't control it or its need to feed. Can't leave the host under its own power (its fatal flaw, once its bound, it's bound until removed) because of its survival instincts.

Not to be confused with the G'ould from SG-1 because they possess no real sentience, nor do they 'share' sentience with the host. They have parasitic animal intelligence, which enables them to make minor decisions, only when their own lives are on the line. It will attempt to preserve itself, but may be forced to make an EGO check if its in a kill or be killed situation. You could, reasonably, develop a "friendship" with it over time, although this would be more of buying down its inherent desire to kill you if it has too and convince it to sacrifice itself (like a loyal dog).

Follower. Repped. Anyone who has more XP than me wanna take a stab at actually statting this thing out, based on my description? Dead serious, any help would be absurdly beneficial.

• 5 months later...

Follower. Repped. Anyone who has more XP than me wanna take a stab at actually statting this thing out' date=' based on my description? Dead serious, any help would be absurdly beneficial.[/quote']

Sounds like the Druid's cloak to me. I've already done some prelimary work on the concept, so I should count as having more XP (like Vaarsuivius, though, my knowledge is more theoretical than practical).

I would add an "Autofire" to the Triggered effect when the armor loses BODY, to have it keep Draining from the wearer until fully healed. Still interested?

It should be REC drian, extended time, x times a day. X is the number of times that would keep the REC drain above a GM chosen level. ie, if it does 6 char pts of REC drain, and recovers every 5 hours (about 1/hr) you would make X = 4 times a day. Personally, at this point, I would wave the 'GM Fiat' wand, and state it costs 2 REC, with recovery every 5 hours after symbiote is removed.

And I really like the take over of low ego characters idea. :eg:

Krieghandt

I'm rather leery of making it a follower - sounds like the time someone wanted to have a sentient magical sword, so he built it as a follower - all it was was a KA with loads of aids and CSLs UBO, so he would be getting the exact same thing as another magic sword, but this one talked and so cost only 1/5 as much - I don't like buying equipment as followers.

That said, I have some constructive ideas and questions:

What is the sFX of the armor? I imagine it to be chunks of coral studded in the host's skin, or maybe just underneath it. I guess you want it to be capable of retracting deep enough within the body that it provides no protection (which seems odd to me), I'd rather the armor/FF just be there, all the time - but I'm sure you have a neat sFX made up allready that incorporates that.

Now, I'll throw an alternative at you which doesn't cost END, but still has a cost (in blood). See, coral is brittle, and breaks if hit hard enough - so how about ablative armor which requires blood (body) to regrow.

Blood Coral: Armor (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-1), Ablative BODY Only (-1/2)

The Ablative roll 'heals' back at some set rate, like 1/hour or 1/day, and each +1 to the roll sucks 1 Body worth of blood from the Host.

For the STR boost, you could use a succor - it costs lots of END, both for the succor and for the STR you gain, but it seems appropriate - maybe with a Drain REC side effect.

Other Ideas -

If the coral drinks blood, why would it only take it from its host? Maybe a drain Body/Stun or a Transfer (to STR, if you want) that only happens if the coral breaks open someone elses skin.

Coral shards in the hands/feet/elbows/whatever could add a HA or HKA attack or damage shield for the host - link it to the drain/transfer if you want. They may even be able to shoot/throw them at range, or they might break off and infect others with the parasite.

I like The Monster's suggestion of the coral lowering the characters REC, you can do this by either just buying down their REC, or it could have a REC Drain side effect on some of its abilities.

I also imagine that this blood coral seeps blood out of it, which could have nasty consequences if theres a shark in the water.

Thats it for now, I'm sure I'll have more thoughts later.

Great Idea, by the way - I've repped you for it.

As a Follower, the armor could DIE if it takes too much damage. Another possibility is that the armor might like the taste of somebody else so it could drop off at an inconvenient time. Or if the character were dying, it could drop off as well - fleas/ticks do this when an animal dies. Ooh ooh, if the character gets sick, the armor could either drop off looking for a healthy host or become sick too.