"Cloak"ing Device

Dust Raven

Okay, here's the deal. I've got a player with a truly awsome character concept. This concept involves a magic cloak she can throw over people or objects, then quickly draw it back to reveal they've vanished into thin air (just like the classic stage illusion, only they're really vanished). At a later time, she can wave the cloak about or throw it over an imaginary target, only to have it fall over somthing solid. When she draws it back this time, something she made vanish reappears.

Ta-da!

The question is, how do we write this up without creating an even remotely potential abusive Power?

My gut instinct is to use EDM, UAA to a Dimension the character pays for as a Base (the Dimension is called "Backstage"). The exact details of this dimension are yet to be defined, but she can use the cloak to travel there herself and use it as an emergency retreat and hiding place. What I want to avoid is her using the cloak to quickly capture the villains, trap them in another dimension, then deliver them to the authorities. Not only that, but if she can effectively do this on innanimate objects and people in general, she has to have a good reason not to use it on the villains. It's not enough that I'll trust the player. It wouldn't make any sense to me, or her, to have such a powerful ability and not use because it isn't "fair."

Any ideas?

Re: "Cloak"ing Device

I immediately thought of Cloak from Cloak and Dagger. However, my memories of the comics themselves are dim... I think Cloak had a "hunger" similar to vampirism which he did not want to succumb to, hence he had to release his captives after only a short space of time or he would be tempted to "consume" them permanently.

Perhaps you need a way to impose a similar time short limit, for example, it Costs END to keep the victim(s) entrapped, although the character themselves may still stay there for free. This also makes sense if the power SFX is simulating a magic trick, since often an object made to vanish is also made to re-appear before the end of the magician's act.

Having said that, there appear to be a number of limitations in force already - the cloak is an OAF that can only be used at HTH ranges. It is already difficult to use, burdening the power with further limitations may make it ineffective.

Or make it a plot device - it uses Dark Magic, every time the cloak is used it corrupts the user (like the Ring in LOTR). Or the original owner wants it back, and every time it's used he detects it and closes in.... not that the player knows about these things or gets points for them, but if they abuse it, then there will be repercussions :sneaky:.

Never actually used this concept before. Interesting. :)

So you don't want this used on the bad guys. I like the solution offered by bloodstone, but if I went that way I'd simplify it to UAA, Target must not resist. UAA is required to have a relatively common defense by the rules anyway, and Resisting is as common as it gets. This would also let her take the bad guys Back Stage after they were knocked out.

Rep to you and Bloodstone when I can.

Oddhat, I thought that unconcious people were considered to resist anything that they would find harmful if they were awake? So you couldn't use the cloak to capture enemies after they were knocked out in that case.

Personally, I like Mantis' idea of somehow encouraging/enforcing a time limit on the disappearance - it really does make the cloak mirror a stage magician's act very well. Maybe give Backstage some element that would encourage the character to retrieve things in a short amount of time? Perhaps Backstage has a chance to "consume" anything put there (much like Cloak) if it is left there for more than X amount of time? This would also include the character, so they wouldn't be able to use Backstage as a completely safe and secure base of operations.

Oddhat' date=' I thought that unconcious people were considered to resist anything that they would find harmful if they were awake? So you couldn't use the cloak to capture enemies after they were knocked out in that case.[/quote']

I don't recal that ruling, but in any case the defense vs UAA only needs to be reasonably common. Defining the defense as "Awake and unwilling" or such is fine.

I think you will find the answer you seek by going back to the source of this idea, which is the magician's act scenario.

Think of what happens in the trick. When the magician uses the cloak, typically he drapes it over the target (which takes a little extra time, a handy limitation right there) but MORE importantly, the object is always holding still for at least a couple of seconds, and then the cloak is pulled..

So, put on a limitation that target must not move, or be immobile, or whatever.......... and this power would be quite difficult to abuse.

You can't capture someone unless you have already CAPTURED them.

Cloak of Invisibility: Invisibility to Sight, Hearing, Mental, Radio, Smell/Taste, Touch and Mystic Groups, Danger Sense, Combat Sense, Spatial Awareness and Detect Invisibility , No Fringe, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (148 Active Points); Only When Not Attacking (-1/2), IIF (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4); Real Cost: 74

Drape Over Others: Naked Modifier: Usable By Other (+1/4) for up to 148 Active Points, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (83 Active Points); Only When Not Attacking (-1/2), IIF (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4); Real Cost: 41

How about an ordinary Entangle attack (with appropriate limitations), with the SFX that the target vanishes into the cloak. When released, or when he manages to free himself, the target comes tumbling back out of the cloak, wherever it happens to be. If the Entangle doesn't entangle the target's senses, he'd be able to see and hear what's going while "hiding backstage"...which could be a problem for the cape wielder under some circumstances.

Personally, I like Mantis' idea of somehow encouraging/enforcing a time limit on the disappearance - it really does make the cloak mirror a stage magician's act very well. Maybe give Backstage some element that would encourage the character to retrieve things in a short amount of time? Perhaps Backstage has a chance to "consume" anything put there (much like Cloak) if it is left there for more than X amount of time? This would also include the character, so they wouldn't be able to use Backstage as a completely safe and secure base of operations.

I liked this idea myself, until I read your last statement. I think the players wants to have Backstage as a kind of personal retreat or safe house of some kind. I could be wrong though, we didn't really clerify the nature of it last night. The thing is, if she wants to use it like that, it can't really eat things put there.

I did have once idea that might work, but I'll leave it up to the player to decide of course. If Backstage is really a base of some kind, one the character uses, why would she take villains there? Perhaps she keeps her treasured possessions there, the secrets of her trade... Only innanimate objects would be completley okay to put there at all. The occasional startled innocent bystandard wouldn't be likely to cause any harm if only visiting for the length of time it takes for the piano to crash into the spot they were standing in. Basically, she'd be perfectly capable to nabbing the villians in this way, but would be completely against doing so.

Certainly workable, but in case she'd rather Backstage eat people, or more of you have additional ideas, I'll keep the options open for a while.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Her's my idea:

They can walk out. No, really, a human being stuck in there can walk out through the "door" of their own accord. You wind up "backstage", right next to a door.

And to prevent a "open door to holding cell", use EDM UAA and say they appear in a random portion of the base, but still right next to a door.

Boom. No muss, no fuss.

Another thing that may make it unusable against an active foe, even without any other limitations - if she throws the cloak over Dr Destroyer, what is he going to do while he's Backstage? Is he going to sit down and make a pot of tea, or is he going to find a way out - through a door or window if there is one, or through a wall if not? Or can the character choose whereabouts within Backstage to send them, like the "secure" changing room rather than the common area?

However, if it is only useful against unresisting foes - what use is it? There are other, simpler (albeit less-impressive) ways to transport defeated foes to the authorities - although it could be thrown over a STUNned foe, I guess. Again, I think there are enough limitations (0 range, OAF, plus Extra Time) to stop it being an overly-strong power. Dive for Cover beats it every time, for example.

Do you actually want to make it useless against villains or just a bit more balanced?

I mean: making it useless is easy. Wouldn't bother too much about the 0 DCV (you can get that with an entangle) but add in extra time (1 turn) and concentration and it just is not going to be used in combat.

Balance is more difficult, but I'm thinking RSR and side effects. I'm thinking an EGO v EGO roll. Inanimate objects? Easy. Villains? Bit more tricky. Side effect could be the power vanishes you for a time or stuns you or even just prevents the power from working (dispel v UAA EDM).

One other thing: this is not going to be an expensive power - OAF, gestures, etc, etc - all going to conspire to keep the cost down. I think one quite major balancing factor is therefore going to be what the character has done with the rest of the points. If they have built an acrobatic brick, I'd be warming up my 'I don't think so' face....:)

The tricky part of the cloak is that it's intended to be used quickly and efficiently to "save the hostage" or similar. One of the examples we used when describing the power before building it is wisking the fat lady out of the middle of the street a second before the bus hits her, and vanishing a hostage or two (one not grabbed) before the villian can shoot them. So speed is definately something we can't sacrifice.

Neither can we assume it can only be used against an unresisting target. Unaware is one thing and we might manage though. Most fat ladies about to be hit by a bus will be somewhat distracted by traffic to notice a swirling cloak, and the hostages will be more attentive of the gun toting thugs than a a girl lurking in the shadows. A villain, however, is likely to be very aware of her. The first thug might vanish easily, but after that the rest will be onto her.

I'll have to wait to see what she thinks of all this.

Okay, since this IS my character, after all...

I like that. So far, the idea that I can use the cloak to snag anybody who is unresisting or unaware of it is good. I can rescue the hostage or the lady in traffic, I can snag inanimate objects, and I can take a willing buddy with me, or get a wrongly imprisoned victim out of a cell or trap... but since this is going to be a one-on-one game (she's a solo), ANY villain she's in combat with will be keenly aware of the fact she's there, if not directly targeting her at the time. She would have to knock out any foe she wanted to snag in this fashion first.

Basically, I didn't want every fight to be a case of "okay, I'll snag him with my cloak... again!" or "and even though I could just snag him with my cloak, I won't... just because". I want to be able to defeat and outwit bad guys... not just play round-up. I like the unwilling/unaware limitation.

...Raven? What do you say?

Guest WhammeWhamme

Okay, since this IS my character, after all...

I like that. So far, the idea that I can use the cloak to snag anybody who is unresisting or unaware of it is good. I can rescue the hostage or the lady in traffic, I can snag inanimate objects, and I can take a willing buddy with me, or get a wrongly imprisoned victim out of a cell or trap... but since this is going to be a one-on-one game (she's a solo), ANY villain she's in combat with will be keenly aware of the fact she's there, if not directly targeting her at the time. She would have to knock out any foe she wanted to snag in this fashion first.

Basically, I didn't want every fight to be a case of "okay, I'll snag him with my cloak... again!" or "and even though I could just snag him with my cloak, I won't... just because". I want to be able to defeat and outwit bad guys... not just play round-up. I like the unwilling/unaware limitation.

...Raven? What do you say?

Let. Them. Walk. Out.

Just because you can send someone to another dimension doesn't mean they can't leave - the cloak would work fine as a two way conduit - I doubt the innocent bystander will instantly run out.

Once they're actually defeated you can store them, tie them up, maybe even close the interdimensional door. Until then, all it does is waste your phase when they half move back into smacking distance. (And it looks cool - you draw the cloak over them... and then they reach back out and punch you. This happens once, and then you figure out how that happened. :))

Let. Them. Walk. Out.

Just because you can send someone to another dimension doesn't mean they can't leave - the cloak would work fine as a two way conduit - I doubt the innocent bystander will instantly run out.

Once they're actually defeated you can store them, tie them up, maybe even close the interdimensional door. Until then, all it does is waste your phase when they half move back into smacking distance. (And it looks cool - you draw the cloak over them... and then they reach back out and punch you. This happens once, and then you figure out how that happened. :))

I was picturing a particulary nasty villain, say one with a knife, waiting until she puts the cloak back on...

Nice idea though. Repped (or will be as soon as I can).