please help a newbie

stitches

I'm fairly new to roleplaying games in general, and have not played Champions yet, but one of my friends is an experienced player and wants us to try out a game, and it sounds like a ton of fun. He says he's got an idea for a Dark Champions beginner campaign.

I was hoping some of you more experienced players might be able to advise me on ways to set up the following character: I'd like to play a deadpool/bullseye (minus the insanity) type character, who's lethal with any kind of projectile weapon. I want him to basically be a smartass and a thrillseeker who doesn't take much seriously, and doesn't seem scared of much of everything. I intend for him to have been a CIA assassin who faked his own death and became a vigilante under an assumed name mostly just because he got sick of everyone in the CIA being taking everything so seriously.

I'm not sure if there's a way to actually make marksmanship superhuman levels, or just peak human levels. Also, I'm not even sure at this point, how many starting points we'll be given to create our characters, so just some general advice, ideas, and guidelines would be great at this point, and as I get more details, I'll pass them on.

Thanks in advance.

Re: please help a newbie

On the psychological aspect you'll want some variation on the following Disadvantages:

Overconfident (for the not easily scared part)

Thrillseeker

for the smarta$$ part, just play him that way, it's not really worth much as an actual Disad, but is a good side effect of Overconfident and Thrillseeker.

For the lethal with any kind of projectile weapon...

Other may have a better way to model this but,

WF: Guns (all of them) will help, Skill Levels in Combat as well, I suggest a few in his fave type of weapon and a few general Combat SLs.

A small Multiple Power Pool with OIF: Object of Opportunity and some slots reflecting he can do damage with just about anything he can get is hands on (like RKAs, Energy Blast, Autofire Attacks...)

Talk with your GM about what a CIA Operative has for training and can do in the world and come up with a CIA Package, make sure your character has it so when it comes up later you won't have an in game arguement about what the CIA does and does not train their agents on.

And for the love of Roleplayers everywhere, give him at least one skill that reflects a hobby of some kind outside of killing people. It'll make him a tad more interesting. :)

Oh - and Welcome to HERO.

Almost forgot, as part of the "Not Scared" aspect, don't forget to give him a higher than normal PRE so he isn't flubbed by a Presence Attack. That with Overconfident should keep him relatively unflappable, though he may do some incredibly stupid things because of it....

It is legal buy extra PRE with a limitation such as this...

Fearless: +20 PRE, Only to defend against PRE Attacks (-1). Active Cost = 20 Points, Real Cost = 10 Points

Of course you can buy any amount of PRE in this way that your GM will allow. In the old days this used to be know as PRE Defense. PRE bought in this way has no effect on how imposing the character is, nor does it help his PRE-based skills any. However if anything makes a PRE attack against him then his effective PRE counts as being 20 points higher than normal. It will make him really hard to frighten or rattle. BTW this construct has been officially published numerous times. If you buy something like this, buy it as a power so that you can avoid having a split cost on your characteristic.

do'h! used all sorts of short hand..

PRE = Presence, the Characteristic.

OIF = Obvious Inaccessable Focus (check Focus Limitation for what all that means)

WF: Guns = Weapon Familiarity: Guns (this is actually broken down into many catergories, it's listed under Weapon Familiarity Skills)

CSL/SL = Combat Skill Level/Skill Levels (again, under the Skills section of the book).

RKA = Ranged Killing Attack (Killing Attack Power)

Autofire is an Advantage placed on Powers - so it's possible you will end up with two or more of the same Base Power (such as Killing Attack) with different advantages based on what you're doing with it.

Any other questions you've got someone will answer - we're cool like that.

Howdy, stitches. Hope you enjoy your stay in the ward. I'm also new to HERO, but fairly familiar with other RPGs, so I'll do what I can to assist you. Have some newbie rep.

Edsel is bang on with the additional Presence (only to resist Presence attacks.) That will keep you "fearless." You can also roleplay your fearlessness, but it's nice to have the numbers to back it up. PRE is Presence; you'll probably also want to make PRE attacks - these are done to intimidate people. Casual violence and a clear capacity to hurt someone often help with this, and you should have no problem. :)

It hasn't been mentioned yet, you might want to ask your GM about Naked Power Advantages, or "NPA's" for short. An NPA is an ability your character has "free" from other restrictions, but only works in cooperation with another skill or ability, for example, you could be very fast with any handgun - you would buy it as an NPA with Obvious Inaccessible Focus - OIF, a weapon you're currently wielding.

You could also do all sorts of "gun tricks" in a Power Framework; ask your GM for details about what's allowable and what isn't. There're also skills you can purchase to reflect his "gunbunnydom."

Hope any of that helps. :)

You've got a fabulous start, since you know exactly what kind of character you want to play, what sorts of powers you might have, and who is out to get him (very important for future characterization)! I've really got nothing to add to the previous comments, but I have a sense that you should use combat skill levels to build his ability to hit anythign at range rather than pure dexterity. This suggests he's very highly trained, rather than innately gifted. Of course, a higher than normal Dex seems appropriate, too.

again - Welcome aboard, Have some Newbie Rep!:cool:

I don't have the details to add to previous posts, but all that I'll say is...

Good Luck - Please remember that what goes on in these threads,

doesn't have to stay in these threads! :D

oh good, I was beginning to worry this place might be the Vegas of the internet! :)

Heya Stitches ... welcome to Hero.

If you're basing a guy on Deadpool, did you want to give him some of Wade's healing abilities? If so, I'd go with Healing (Simplified) 5d6 (Self Only -1) plus Life Support (LS): All Terrestrial Diseases, All Poisons. You could also add in things like Regrowth or Ressurection into Healing, but make sure that you check with your GM first to make sure they're allowed :)

There are a lot of different ways to do a "luck aura" style of power (there are a lot of different ways to do nearly everything in HERO), but I would make sure these near-superhero types of powers are ok with your GM. Some GMs think dark champions should be more realistic, and others don't.

There is a named "luck" power in the hero system, and in the power description it lists off multiple optional ways to use luck. I am sure one of them will be to you and your GM's liking. If not, its easy enough to simulate luck using other powers and skills in the game. If I remember correctly, the until superpowers database book has a whole section on luck based powers.

Welcome aboard, stitches! I think you'll find that HERO is a fun ride. I'm glad you feel you're being treated reasonably well here so far. The HERO online community is typically friendly and helpful, if I do say so myself. :)

Just wanted to add that, assuming you have access to the core rulebook, you'll find a Glossary that lists all those arcane abbreviations that folks around here keep throwing around. ;)

Welcome to Hero System. I hope you enjoy the ride.

Deadpool Homage

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/Deadpool-tl.txt

http://www.mactyre.net/scm/deejay/champs/characters/marvel/deadpool.html

Bullseye Homage

http://herogame.dans.cust.servlets.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16975&highlight=Bullseye

There is a Dark Champions Villain call "Jack of Hearts" who throws lethal playing cards. You could also throw non lethal/blunt object too.

Dark Champions: Heroes of Vengence has Package Deals for Spy and Assassins. Check them out.

Remember that both Deadpool and Bullseye are some of the best in the buisness and not starting characters by any means.

Check out the Links for examples.

QM

dont worry. I have no illusions that my character will be as efficient a killer as them from the get-go.....that's just the mold I'm going for.

Does the HERO system provide a way to build in the superhuman senses? I imagine it does, but like I mentioned earlier, I havent' had a chance to look through the book yet

I had thought about that' date=' but wasn't sure if I wanted him to have a "healing factor" or not. One idea I was seriously considering is trying to work in a Longshot-style "luck aura" in, but I have no idea how that would work[/quote']

Ahh ... Longshot. One of my all time favorite characters :) What I would recommend for that would be a multipower that allows you to focus your luck into various powers (aka ultra slots). What I'd choose for the starter slots would be: +DCV, +OCV, Missle Deflection, Transform (Bestow Bad Luck Upon Target) and Armor. Make sure you check with your GM first though, as Tom had stated :)