Spiderman Writeup

Gary

I've decided to post my Spiderman Writeup. This writeup doesn't consider Contacts, Favors, or Hunteds.

Value	Characteristic	Cost
50	Str	40
38	Dex	84
33	Con	46
20	Body	20
23	Int	13
20	Ego	20
20	Pre	10
14	Com	2
20	PD	10
14	ED	7
9	SPD	42
17	Rec	0
66	End	0
62	Stun	0

Cost	Power

10	Clinging
12	1/4 Damage Reduction Physical Resistant Non-Persistent (-1/4)
12	1/4 Damage Reduction Energy Resistant Non-Persistent (-1/4)
12	+3 DCV Must Make Spider Sense Roll (-1/4)
6	+6" Leaping
6	+3" Running
2	+2" Swimming
1	Diminished Breathing 1 End/Turn
1	Diminished Sleep 8 Hours/Week
10	2d6 Luck
5	9 pts Mental Defense
5	5 pts Power Defense (Combat Luck Based)
33	500 End Reserve OIF Web Shooters (-1/2)

90	Multipower 135 Active OIF Webshooters (-1/2)
9	6 Def 6d6 Entangle Area Effect Any Area (+1) Selective (+1/4)
9	12d6 Flash Area Effect Any Area (+1) Selective (+1/4)
6	12/12 Force Wall Opaque Sight up to 11" width
3	30" Swinging 0 End (+1/2)
2	6" Stretching Always Direct (-1/4) No Velocity Damage (-1/4)
2	Missile Deflection All Attacks At Range (+1) Costs End (-1/2)

Spider Tracers
25	Clairsentience Radio Group 6400" Radius 0 End (+1/2) 75 Active
Fixed Perception Point (-1), IIF (-1/4), One Sense Only (-1/4) Lockout (-1/2) (If Spidey bugs someone, he can't Bug anyone else until he retrieves the Tracer)
3	Radio Perception Same Limitations as Above

Cost	Skill

3	Acrobatics 17-
3	Breakfall 17-
3	Bugging 14-
3	CK New York City 14-
3	Computer Programming 14-
3	Concealment 14-
3	Contortionist 17-
5	Cramming
10	Defense Maneuver 4
3	Electronics 14-
3	Inventor 14-
3	Mechanics 14-
3	Shadowing 14-
3	Stealth 17-
3	Streetwise 13-
3	Systems Operation 14-
3	PS Photographer 14-

3	Scientist
2	Acoustics 14-
2	Aeronautics 14-
2	Biochemistry 14-
2	Chemistry 14-
2	Genetics 14-
2	Mathematics 14-
2	Nuclear Physics 14-
2	Organic Chemistry 14-
2	Physics 14-
2	Research 14-
2	Subatomic Physics 14-
9	Power Skill Roll 17-
Spider Fu
3	Legsweep
4	Martial Strike
5	Offensive Strike
3	Martial Grab
3	Martial Throw
4	Martial Block
5	Flying Dodge
5	Passing Strike
4	Martial Escape

10	2 Levels with HTH
20	2 Overall Levels

12	6/6 Combat Luck
6	Reputation 14- +2/+2d6

Spider Sense
36	Danger Sense Immediate Vicinity All Attacks 17-

Total Cost 772 Points

Points	Disadvantages

20	DNPC Aunt May
10	DNPC Mary Jane Watson
20	Code vs Killing
20	Protective of Innocents
20	Daunting Burden of Responsibility
15	In Love with Mary Jane
10	Neurotic
5	Makes Quips in Combat
15	Reputation 14-
15	Secret ID
15	3d6 Unluck

Note that I gave Spidey 50 Str instead of 43 because Marvel's weight limit reflects a bench press, and Champions is a more generous "lift off the ground and stagger a few steps".

The webshooters all cost End that comes off the End Reserve except for the swinging. Spidey seems to be able to swing all day, but there is a limited amount of fluid for other combat uses. I didn't give any Rec for his End Reserve because Spidey usually has to spend noncombat time to get to his apartment or to mix more in a lab if he runs out and needs to get more.

Total Defenses are 26/20 with 6/6 Resistant, plus 1/4 Damage Reduction.

Spidey is able to unleash hellacious attacks, up to 18d6 with a full 30" Passing Strike with all CSLs in damage, but virtually all the time he holds back unless facing really tough enemies such as Rhino, Titania, or Firelord.

Please feel free to suggest any changes or improvements that might need to be made. :)

Re: Spiderman Writeup

Do you want any suggestions that involve his newer powers' date=' like the fact his webshooters are organic now or the he can telepathically communicate with insects and spiders?[/quote']

Ughh! I try not to think about such things. :mad:

;)

Not bad, though the Str and Dex is higher than I would give him.

IIR when I built a version of Pete I gave him 40 Str and 33 Dex, but I gave him +8 DCV, requires a Danger Sense Roll. That was to show thats its the Spider-Sense that makes him so damn hard to hit, not just his (albit very impressive) Dex.

People don't tend to 'chip away' at the Webbing; it's usually an all or nothing 'Can I break out' issue...

I can change the Entangle to 8 Def, 4d6 Body. I have seen panels where opponents have partially torn out of the webbing.

Not bad, though the Str and Dex is higher than I would give him.

IIR when I built a version of Pete I gave him 40 Str and 33 Dex, but I gave him +8 DCV, requires a Danger Sense Roll. That was to show thats its the Spider-Sense that makes him so damn hard to hit, not just his (albit very impressive) Dex.

Well, the general ballpark figure for Spidey's Str is 10 tons lifting capacity, which translates to 43 Str. However, that's how much weight he can routinely lift above his head. In Champions, your lifting capacity is what you can barely get off the ground and stagger a couple of steps, so I raised the Str to 50.

I did give him +3 DCV linked to Spidey Sense, but it's certainly within reason to give him more.

Well' date=' the general ballpark figure for Spidey's Str is 10 tons lifting capacity, which translates to 43 Str. However, that's how much weight he can routinely lift above his head. In Champions, your lifting capacity is what you can barely get off the ground and stagger a couple of steps, so I raised the Str to 50.[/quote']I did it 40, which lets him push to 50 for the big stuff. 50 lets him push to 60, which IMO is too high for Pete.

I did give him +3 DCV linked to Spidey Sense, but it's certainly within reason to give him more.
I figured the Spider-Sense makes Pete nearly unhittable, so I gave him enough DCV to reach ludicrous levels. The only way Pete gets tagged is Area Effects, someone doesn't set off the Spider-Sense, or Pete rolls an 18 on his Danger Sense roll:)

One thing I'd like to represent in a Spidey write up, but can't think of a good way to represent atm, is a better way to do the "oh no I'm out of webbing" issue. Builds that just have a specific # of charges, or a set end reserve, don't achieve this effect.

I guess you could have the GM keep track of charges/end instead of the player, but I'm rarely in favor of anything that creates more work for the GM.

The unluck could be used to reflect it I guess, but I'd like to see it as part of the power build.

Something like (rambling here) O End or fuel charges on his webbing stuff, with a burnout roll, that can be reset by sticking another webbing cartridge in. Not sure of a good way to write that up from work though. :o Generally reliable, but has a chance of failing at times, and you have the "never know quite how much webbing left" effect.

Edit: and I'd make his flash one of those "NND Flash" constructs - polarized lenses or superhuman eyes won't help you, but you can ignore it if you're strong enough or have anti-web coatings.

Sounds like what you want is a few IIF END Reserves with Burnout applied as a lim only on the REC.

That way you always get a certain amount of useage out of each cartridge. After that it' a crap shoot on if the reserve recovers or not. All you have to do is have the GM roll the burnout roll and keep the result from the player.

He does what now??? That is a joke right? Talking to insects and spiders???? I thought the clone Spiderman idea was bad.

Nope, not a joke. It happened in Spectacular Spider-man #20 (Dec 2004)

I'm not fully aware of all the new changes that have happened as of "the Other", and even if I was I would definitly have to preface most of them with SPOILERS asd that's a much more recnet story.

I do know in a short while Spidy will be swinging around town in Stark made yellow and red body armor that has cybernetic spider limbs coming out the back...See this thread for some pictures/details:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40469

I'm not sure if it was at the same time he gained the spider/insect empathy and organic webshooters (honestly, what's the difference?), but I have heard people mention his strength as increased to fifteen tons. Which, strangely enough, makes him quite a bit strong than Venom, the bigger, meaner Spider-Man. I wonder if they'll increase his strength as well.

I did it 40, which lets him push to 50 for the big stuff. 50 lets him push to 60, which IMO is too high for Pete.

I figured the Spider-Sense makes Pete nearly unhittable, so I gave him enough DCV to reach ludicrous levels. The only way Pete gets tagged is Area Effects, someone doesn't set off the Spider-Sense, or Pete rolls an 18 on his Danger Sense roll:)

I've seen comics where he lifts a lot more than what 40 Str could lift, even Pushed.

So. . .

If a contemporary (as opposed to beginning ) Spider-man is roughly in the 750 point range, why is any first tier Avenger or JLAer supposed to be doable on anything less than a 1000??

Depends on what you define as 'first tier'. You can get a straight brick like Wonderman at a very reasonable cost, and he's considered a fairly powerful character. However, there's no way you're getting Thor or Sersi cheaply.

Did a quick Wonderman writeup. 493 pts not counting skills. I'm not familiar with what skills he may have.

Value	Characteristic	Cost
100	Str	90
18	Dex	24
45	Con	70
20	Body	20
13	Int	3
13	Ego	6
20	Pre	10
12	Com	1
40	PD	20
40	ED	31
4	SPD	12
29	Rec	0
90	End	0
93	Stun	0

Cost	Power

60	1/2 Damage Reduction Physical and Energy Resistant
40	40/40 Damage Resistance
10	10 Pts Flash Defense
10	10 Pts Power Defense
10	10 Pts Lack Weakness
6	+3" Running
50	Full Life Support

186	Total Powers Cost

Cost	Skill

20	+4 CSL with HTH

20	Total Skills Cost

493	Total Character Cost

Guest WhammeWhamme

So. . .

If a contemporary (as opposed to beginning ) Spider-man is roughly in the 750 point range, why is any first tier Avenger or JLAer supposed to be doable on anything less than a 1000??

Well, obviously Gary agrees with you on that count.

Everyone else? Probably has an idea on how to do Spiderman differently, as well as the Avengers/Justice League (and/or they would rate Spiderman as actually being a powerhouse; he IS the most experienced [most comics appearances, I think] hero in the Marvel Universe).

I'm not fully aware of all the new changes that have happened as of "the Other", and even if I was I would definitly have to preface most of them with SPOILERS asd that's a much more recnet story.

I do know in a short while Spidy will be swinging around town in Stark made yellow and red body armor that has cybernetic spider limbs coming out the back...See this thread for some pictures/details:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40469

I was thinking of collecting Spiderman again. Thanks for the warning. Now I know to avoid it. It's too bad. When will people learn you can't mess around with icons?

Why did you make his webshooters OIF? Is it obvious to someone who has no prior knowledge of their existence that Spider-Man's webs depend on an object?

What's the Missile Deflection in his web powers for?

I thought it was common knowledge in the Marvel Universe that Spidey had webshooters.

As for the missile deflection, I've seen him stop attacks cold with web shields. It doesn't happen as often as the Flash or Entangle, but it does happen often enough that he should purchase the ability rather than depend on the Power skill.

I thought it was common knowledge in the Marvel Universe that Spidey had webshooters.

IIRC, their discovery is often "aha!" followed shortly thereafter by destroyed webshooters (how they manage to do that almost every time but have trouble socking him on the jaw is a real mystery!)