Best of the Bronze Age?

FenrisUlf

Hi guys,

What would youc all the best 'Bronze Age' writing in comics? I'm thinking especially of collections out now, like the Marvel Essentials or DC Showcase, but if you think a current series is well done example of 'Bronze Age' writing, please let me know.

And depending on how this goes, would anyone be interested in similar lists for Silver, Golden, Iron, and whatever the heck Astro City is? (Steel Age? Platinum?)

Thanks for anything.

Re: Best of the Bronze Age?

Best Bronze-Age feel thing I've seen out now is Thing.

For further back, I was much more of a Marvel fan, so I'd say the late 1970's-early 1980's X-men, Avengers, Captain America, Fantastic Four, Marvel Team-Up, and Marvel Two-in-One are great. First year or so of Alpha Flight and various Spider-Man issues/titles could probably be included as well. On the DC side, the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans was great - if you read it from #1->the end of the Judas Contract storyline, you're in for a treat.

See, I have a problem answering this. I define the ages differently than most, because I'm biased. I see the Silver Age as running all the way up to 1985, with Crisis.

Still. I suppose I can work within a "normal" definition of Bronze Age - I would first recommend the DC Universe Alan Moore collection, which sort of bridges the Bronze/Iron gap.

Yes.

I know you're joking, but seriously, I am really enjoying reading the Thing comic book, written by Dan Slott and it is hard to beat for Bronze Age goodness.

Oh, I know. you and SS have been pushing it pretty hard, and he's my favorite character, but I haven't been to a comic book store in a long time so I haven't picked it up yet. That phrase just stuck out to me :D

And depending on how this goes, would anyone be interested in similar lists for Silver, Golden, Iron, and whatever the heck Astro City is? (Steel Age? Platinum?)

I've heard it, and a lot of what Geoff Johns does refered to in two terms - Neo-silver (most often) and gilded iron (less often) - both writers have some of the darkness the Iron Age had, and the depth of characterization and realations to the real world that the best Iron Age had, but the heroes are Heroic and hopeful - very Silver Age.

Still. I suppose I can work within a "normal" definition of Bronze Age - I would first recommend the DC Universe Alan Moore collection, which sort of bridges the Bronze/Iron gap.

I had that come into the comic shop I work at, as I flipped through it, I realized I had read most of them when they were first released, and I had a strange reaction to every one of those (well except for the Mogo story)... I thought "I remember this story, I hated it." As far as I like some Alan Moore stuff (Watchmen, League) I absolutely detested his mainstream DC work.

I've heard it' date=' and a lot of what Geoff Johns does refered to in two terms - Neo-silver (most often) and gilded iron (less often) - both writers have some of the darkness the Iron Age had, and the depth of characterization and realations to the real world that the best Iron Age had, but the heroes are Heroic and hopeful - very Silver Age.[/quote']

Interesting terminology... What is Geoff Johns known for?

Interesting terminology... What is Geoff Johns known for?

He's been the writer or co-writer on the current JSA since about issue 4. He's done a multiyear stint on the Flash, and is currently writing the teen titans. When Busiek left the Avengers Johns took over for him. He and Busiek are co-writing the first Superman story set "one year later". He's writing Green Lantern (and wrote Rebirth).

In my opinion one of the greatest current superhero writers out there, possilby the best, although Kurt Busiek fills that role for me right now.

Ed Brubaker! Found it. I like Catwoman... Where was I telling Hermit why he should give it a shot? At least Dark End of the Street, it is good stuff!

I want to officially add Brubaker's run on Catwoman to this list of Neo-Silver, but I don't know if it is Bronze, or not.

Yup. If you're looking with something present day with a bronze age style' date=' Slott's Thing is hard to beat.[/quote']

Sheesh, all the fans of old school comics keep recommending the current Thing; guess I'll have to give it a look.

And would anyone here agree with me that the current Outsiders and JSA are as much Bronze as anything? And I do like JSA very much, usually.

Sheesh, all the fans of old school comics keep recommending the current Thing; guess I'll have to give it a look.

And would anyone here agree with me that the current Outsiders and JSA are as much Bronze as anything? And I do like JSA very much, usually.

Regarding Thing - good! You'll be glad you did. :)

Regarding JSA - I read it, I like it. I could see it as sorta Bronze, but frequently leaning more towards Iron than Silver. I like it anyways. :P

BTW - what happened to the Copper and Tin Ages of Comics? Was Howard the Duck Electrum or Bauxite? :think:

Regarding JSA - I read it, I like it. I could see it as sorta Bronze, but frequently leaning more towards Iron than Silver. I like it anyways. :P

I like the JSA as well. It's like the Villians are Iron Agey, but the Heroes are more silver agey. I like it. Green Lantern comes off that way too, there have been a fair amount of unnnamed bystanders killed by the bad guys in the new GL.

Warning for potential readers of THING #1: spoilers ahead!

Finally managed to snag and read a copy.

Milan Ramada? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ben gets sued by the people he saves AND by the villain? Sheesh, just how much Unluck can one guy have? That's got to be 2d6 at least!

And best of all -- they bring back Constrictor and Arcade, two of the great cheesey villains; especially Arcade! I mean, the guy has a rep as one of the world's best assassins, but has he ever actually killed anyone?

And I'm hoping that Ben crushes the skull of Paris Hil -- erm, I mean Milan Ramada. It wouldn't be against Ben's principles; after all, heroes are sworn against taking a HUMAN life...

I LOVE THIS COMIC!

Flare, Witchgirls Inc., and Giant from Heroic Publishing. They've toned down the lesbian subtext a bit from when the universe was first being published. The writing has improved, but the feel is still the same. I feel sorry for the current Giant. He has two super-villianesses gunning for him romantically, and he isn't out of high school yet.

The Sword of Superman, Must There be a Superman?, and some others

Go ahead and look:

http://theages.superman.ws/tales.php