Best Special Effect?

Susano

Okay -- DOJ requires all published characters to have a special effect listed for all powers (even if it is a simple as "fleet footed" for an extra inch of Running). What I'm wondering is, what's your favorite special effect you've seen for a character? This can be in an offical DOJ product or something made for a personal setting.

To start with, I'd have to go with Captain Chronos, who gave us "No Sleep Till Brooklyn," Walkin' To Jerusalem," "Gone Out For Food," and "The Best Omnichromometer Ever Made."

A close second is Bulldozer, with "Ha! You Think You Stupid Attack Can Hurt Me?".

And then there's the Black Harlequin with "Look What I Made!" and "Not-So-Silly String."

I haven't read ....any of the new Champions stuff so examples of special effect names is pretty limited for me.

However, my players have some nice ones:

"May Maggots Pour Forth From Your Eyes"

and "Cleansing Flame" (healing w/ side effect rka explosion)

Originally posted by Shadowpup

I haven't read ....any of the new Champions stuff so examples of special effect names is pretty limited for me.

However, my players have some nice ones:

"May Maggots Pour Forth From Your Eyes"

And what does this do?

Actually, I believe it was in a Dragon Magazine that they had the cudgel of love and other items like the Robe of Blending (Had 3 buttons on the front, slow-medium-puree)

As well as an particularly mean spell list with things like - disembodied hands: Cast and casters hands fall off - no damage though.

But I digress.

Guest Worldmaker

Lazarus, an immortal martial artist, has powers with the following special effect blurbs:

A "fast healing" Elemental Control labeled Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night , which naturally contains Resurrective Healing labeled Rage! Rage Against the Dying of the Light!

His Longevity is labeled Old Age Should Burn and Rave at Close of Day:

A one use Time Travel back to the beginning of the previous Turn (I don't allow such things in my game, but I did create this power once for the heck of it)... simply called "Come again?"

Also, the stinking gas cloud called, "Pull my finger", the dizzying power called "The Tea Cups" -- referring to the Disneyland ride, and the extra-dimensional space called "Baba Yaga's Pub".

"Now, how did that go again?" For Eidetic Memory

"Oh My God! It Can't Be Stopped!" For some ridiculously high level of defenses - used for a write-up based on a monster from a B movie.

"Because I'm Just So Damned Scary, That's Why" for extra PRE, only for making fear/awe based Presence Attacks.

There are many, many others in my notes. :)

Guest Worldmaker

Found another one. Medved, a Russian wolverine clone with ursine powers has "I've Crapped Bigger Than You" as the special effect of his Presence - Only to Defend Against Presence Attacks

Heh... here's some from some character's I'm developing for either Digital Hero or maybe an e-book.

These are all for the HK "killer" character. I'll just list the SFX and let you all guess at the powers (don't want to give too much away!):

God Of Guns

Far Cooler Than You Will Ever Be

Just Soaks Up Bullets

One Gun = Super-Man

Two Guns = God

These are for a scattering of characters. Once again, all you get are the SFX names. :D

He Is, After All, The Hero

Martial Arts: Self-Developed Tennis Style

That’s A Big Gun

Veteran Chambara Samurai

Play Guitar Like A Mother-Luvin' Riot

Guest Worldmaker
Originally posted by Susano

Heh... here's some from some character's I'm developing for either Digital Hero or maybe an e-book.

These are all for the HK "killer" character. I'll just list the SFX and let you all guess at the powers (don't want to give too much away!):

God Of Guns

Far Cooler Than You Will Ever Be

Just Soaks Up Bullets

One Gun = Super-Man

Two Guns = God

These are for a scattering of characters. Once again, all you get are the SFX names. :D

He Is, After All, The Hero

Martial Arts: Self-Developed Tennis Style

That’s A Big Gun

Veteran Chambara Samurai

Play Guitar Like A Mother-Luvin' Riot

Why do I feel a new Master List coming on...

Originally posted by PhilFleischmann

These aren't special effects, they're just names or slogans. There's a difference. Has anyone ever bought a power with a limitation "Does Not Work Against/Only Works Against Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"?

Point. I should have made that "Best Power Name."

Here's some of mine with the effects listed why:

"You gotta be kidding!" (generally said by heroes) - Villain has invisible Aid to stats.

"Cold Fury" - firey EB that feels cold

"You're Stupid!" - INT drain

"It's a toupee with brains" - A toupee that gives Mental Illusions. (Not an original. A different GM made it. The players laughed a long time after the GM told us this one.)