Which one is it?

Jkeown

Okay... You are a Thundai Knight, a gaurdian of virtues and heroism. You are highly trained and fear no man or beast (though those female trolls are often a problem). A high-ranking Thundai, you carry a couple of Artifacts; a Thundai Sword and a Thundai Tabard (which is defense against the Sword).

Sword, Thundai: (Total: 120 Active Cost, 37 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), NND (Magical Shielding; +1), Does BODY (+1) (105 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (-3/4), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 30) plus +3 with HTH Combat (15 Active Points); OAF (-1) (Real Cost: 7)

Yeah, it's tough... It's the Lightsabre of Caleon. It is stopped by "magical shielding" Is it enough to define the Thundai Tabard's Armor as magical, and thus a decent defense? Do we need "more?"

Thundai Tabard: (Total: 22 Active Cost, 7 Real Cost) Armor (6 PD/6 ED) (18 Active Points); Independent (-2), Tabard (Protects Locations 9-17; -1/2), OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) (Real Cost: 3)

Re: Which one is it?

Nothing more is needed than to define it as "magical". The proof of the build is in the sword. If it took the limitation, not vs. yellow, you wouldn't need to buy the color yellow for someone's armor. Unique SFX weaknesses should be put on the thing that bears the special quality. Thus a vampire buys "fears the cross". You do not buy a cross with "+30 PRE vs. vampires, only for making presence attacks."

Keith "Keeping it Simple" Curtis

The flaw here is that if you have the defense against an NND, it does NO damage. However, I can see you have the tabard not covering the whole body so maybe it makes sense if you want Thundai knights swinging only at each other's heads.

Another alternative might be to put something like Armor Piercing x4 on the sword and then Hardened x4 on the tabard, but specify that the Hardening only works against Thundai swords. That way the sword will cut through most armor like butter and the tabard only protects well against the sword.

Nothing more is needed than to define it as "magical". The proof of the build is in the sword. If it took the limitation' date=' [i']not vs. yellow[/i], you wouldn't need to buy the color yellow for someone's armor. Unique SFX weaknesses should be put on the thing that bears the special quality. Thus a vampire buys "fears the cross". You do not buy a cross with "+30 PRE vs. vampires, only for making presence attacks."

Keith "Keeping it Simple" Curtis

I think I'm overcomplicating the question, but...

Jkeown makes two claims:

1) The tabard is proof against the sword

2) The tabard functions as armor.

For clarification:

1) Is the tabard functional only vs. the sword?

2) Does the tabard possess any other abilities outside of being proof against the sword (i.e. is it armor against anything other than the sword).

If #1 is "Yes", then Keith is correct in saying "keep it simple". Put a limitation on the sword, "Not vs. Thundai Tabard" and call it a day.

If, however, the answer to #2 is "Yes", then there's nothing wrong with your second build.

The application of a "magical" component is strictly a fiat and shouldn't have to be reflected by any particular build or construct.

Thanks for the speedy replies.

And yes, the Tabard functions as armor. If there is interest, maybe I'll post the whole Thundai article when I'm done. It includes package deals, Raiment (for Thundai Arcanists) Vestments (for Thundai Channellers) and a few Artifacts, Thundai Axe and Thunderstrike, the Glaive of Khoza.

Maybe tomorrow...

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with the second build, just that it didn't require anything further to function as specified. An SFX-Magic is enough.

I suppose if you still wanted the sword to do normal damage against the armor, you could buy it with a limited limitation?

Keith "No longer Simple" Curtis

I don't think I like the NND so much after a little thought. Yes, it makes it more "lightsabre-y" but at the cost of leaving a Thundai weaponless against any foe as trained as he is.

What about 2d6 HKA with a limitation like "Only To Cut Through Armor" and another one "Not against Thundai Tabards." As I see it, this would create a blade that literally melts most armor like butter, while the tabard stops it cold. If a sword ever fell into the wrong hands, the Order has a defense against them.

Or is that just silly?

What I wanted was a situation where both the swords and the tabards had great meaning and value, as well as creating another campaign secret (the method of manufacture of both items).

It try to make sure that items created in my game have meaning n the context of the setting, not just some nameless, generic +1 Broadsword of Ruleslawyering.

You could just make the sword armour piercing and the tabard hardened.

Oh... the simple route... Whoda thunkit? I already did the AP sword thing with a certain brand of "Armorglass" (Dh. Duraan) and my PCs think they're cool and all that... but I needed something worthy of the most dedicated guys on the planet (so far...)

Shouldn't the sword be AVLD vs. tabards' date=' and not NND?[/quote']

That is also a simple, elegant solution. Since only one tabard is made every time a sword is crafted... how high a advantage is that? There are maybe 50 of these things over the whole course of history... Khoza died about 3000 years ago, so that's one every 60 years? Rare Rare Rare, I'd say...

This is an option I will strongly consider!

Well first of all, how rare are the tabards going to be in the campaign? If the PC with the sword is virtually guaranteed to encounter all 50 of the existing tabards over the course of the story arc, then the tabards are not really 'rare'. OTOH if each such sword can only be defended by one specific tabard then maybe the AVLD advantage should cost more... I'd have to go and look up AVLD.

And if the character isn't going to have to pay points for either the sword or the tabard, then there's really no reason to figure out the points exactly anyway.