Would Stargate SG-1 work in a Marvel Universe?

Mark Rand

I'm working on a campaign featuring Marvel's Avengers. Here is the URL for its thread: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41061.

Would Stargate Command, like in the series Stargate SG-1, with foes like the Goa'uld and Ori and friends like the Tok'ra and Asgard work in this universe?

How would the various pathanons react to aliens claiming to be them?

The NID ran the Initiative. How much trouble are they giving heroes like Thor? How much trouble are they giving regular heroes?

Re: Would Stargate SG-1 work in a Marvel Universe?

Well, it's a major change to the Marvel Universe, since part of the point of Stargate is that contact with other worlds and visits by alien lifeforms is a big honking secret. So, no Skrulls, Kree, , Shi'ar, etc., unless their contact with Earth's costumed hero set is a lot more covert than in the comics, and even then you need to address how they interact with the races from Stargate.

And the NID is totally behind the Weapon X program and all manner of experimentation on anyone with powers, especially but not only mutants.

Well, it's a major change to the Marvel Universe, since part of the point of Stargate is that contact with other worlds and visits by alien lifeforms is a big honking secret. So, no Skrulls, Kree, , Shi'ar, etc., unless their contact with Earth's costumed hero set is a lot more covert than in the comics, and even then you need to address how they interact with the races from Stargate.

And the NID is totally behind the Weapon X program and all manner of experimentation on anyone with powers, especially but not only mutants.

I suspected that the Stargate Project wouldn't work in a Marvel-style universe. Thanks for confirming it.

The NID would make a great foe, if only for comic relief. Although they're federal, they're inept. Four of their people were up to no good in Paris once and were knocked out, bound, gagged, and left for the police by a cat burglar. Senator Kinsey wasn't a happy camper.

As writ, I'd say no.

It *might* be able to be sandwiched in with some changes.

Possible change one: the Earth-gate is way off the "beaten path", and the others are in far distant galaxies, away from the main existing Marvel alien empires. So could still have interactions there, but wouldn't have the space-borne action.

Possible change two: instead of providing access to different worlds, the gates provide access to different dimensions, like the Negative Zone, Microverse, etc.

Possible change three: instead of providing access to different worlds, the gates operate in a "sliders" type fashion and provide access to alternate Earths.

I suspected that the Stargate Project wouldn't work in a Marvel-style universe. Thanks for confirming it.

The NID would make a great foe, if only for comic relief. Although they're federal, they're inept. Four of their people were up to no good in Paris once and were knocked out, bound, gagged, and left for the police by a cat burglar. Senator Kinsey wasn't a happy camper.

Maybe not the Marvel proper but I think it would do well in the Ultimate MU... StarGate Command could be a division of S.H.I.E.L.D.

The Superpowers are still new enough that the world is "used to" such sights.

I think a little tweeking it'd work just fine...

As writ, I'd say no.

It *might* be able to be sandwiched in with some changes.

Possible change one: the Earth-gate is way off the "beaten path", and the others are in far distant galaxies, away from the main existing Marvel alien empires. So could still have interactions there, but wouldn't have the space-borne action.

Possible change two: instead of providing access to different worlds, the gates provide access to different dimensions, like the Negative Zone, Microverse, etc.

Possible change three: instead of providing access to different worlds, the gates operate in a "sliders" type fashion and provide access to alternate Earths.

I've been looking into option one. Our galaxy is part of a local group. Here's the wikipedia artical on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Local_Group&printable=yes.

Now, according to an artical I read on the Marvel Universe, the Skrulls inhabit the Andromeda Galaxy, the Kree inhabit the Greater Magellanic Cloud, and the Shi'ar Galaxy is unknown. If we consider these three as being north of Earth, we could claim that the Goa'uld are south of Earth. Both the Pegasus Galaxy, where the Atlantis Base is, and the Ida Galaxy, where the Asgard are, are both south of the Milkey Way.

I don't think Stargate would fit in the Marvel U.

But you could totally sandwich them with the Buffyverse.

Yeah. That was my origional opinion, too. It seems like the only published superhero universe you can put the Stargate Project in is the San Angelo one.

Oh, sandwich which universe in with the Buffyverse, the Stargate SG-1/Stargate Atlantis one or the Marvel one?

Yeah. That was my origional opinion, too. It seems like the only published superhero universe you can put the Stargate Project in is the San Angelo one.

Oh, sandwich which universe in with the Buffyverse, the Stargate SG-1/Stargate Atlantis one or the Marvel one?

SG1/Atlantis

I suspect that the only way you could have Thor, Sif, Loki, Isis, and other gods in a campaign with the Stargate Project is for the heros to be avatars and the real gods be unable to manifest themselves in our dimension.

Of course, the NID would be all over them in a minute. If the heroes tried to defend themselves, Kinsey would denounce them to the world for failing to cooperate with a federal intelligence agency.

• 4 weeks later...

It doesn't really matter much whether the humanoid gods of the Marvel Universe are the actual individuals once worshipped as gods or just "avatars" of gods. They would still thrash any alien worms or acrocephalic dwarves horning in on their turf. Of course that's as good an explanation as any for how people for whom bronze was literally cutting edge technology managed to chuck hyperadvanced aliens off their planet.

Still, generally I feel it's better not to try to just lump two unrelated fictional universes that way. It's like trying to stick neo-classical wings on a gothic main house. You can do it, but it just ain't purty. Instead it's better to steal the basic ideas you like and make them an organic part of the universe you are making up (or stealing). For example, a network of teleportation gates fits entirely seamlessly into a superhero universe. It's exactly the sort of thing they'd have. But in the Marvel Universe, for example, if such a thing was discovered, Reed Richards would probably end up in charge of investigating it, and doubtless they'd lead to a lot more worlds that weren't inhabited by humans and so forth.

Also of course the first thing you have to consider when introducing such an element is where the PC's come in. After all, it hardly matters whether your universe has a teleportation gate if the PCs aren't going to be using it.

I just may drop a version of Marvel's Avengers, and maybe the movie version of the Fantastic Four, into the San Angelo Universe.

The SGC would be close enough to the superhero base to, from time to time, have the team called in to help Stargate Command with something.

Guest Major Tom

As far as Stargates or similar mechanisms existing in the Marvel Universe is

concerned, it was shown in one of the final issues of ROM, Space-

knight that a stargate network exists within the Shi'ar Empire. Apparent-

ly, a DHD or similar mechanism is not necessary to send people through a

Shi'ar Stargate to their destination; from what I was able to see in the story,

the passengers only needed to think of where they wanted to go, and were

transported there.

Major Tom :dyn

As far as Stargates or similar mechanisms existing in the Marvel Universe is

concerned, it was shown in one of the final issues of ROM, Space-

knight that a stargate network exists within the Shi'ar Empire. Apparent-

ly, a DHD or similar mechanism is not necessary to send people through a

Shi'ar Stargate to their destination; from what I was able to see in the story,

the passengers only needed to think of where they wanted to go, and were

transported there.

Major Tom :dyn

One issue of X-Men (Claremont/Byrne) era had someone from the Shi'ar empire assemble a PORTABLE stargate on top of a highrise in NYC. It was powerful enough (when powered by Phoenix, anyhow) to transport everyone to the middle of th galaxy.