Was watching Superman TAS and wondered about Mxyzptlk

massey

Re: Was watching Superman TAS and wondered about Mxyzptlk

In one comic (after Crisis of Infinite Earths), when Superman wasn’t around, Mxyzptlk (Mxy) decided to take Lex Luthor as his victim. When attacked by some of Luthor’s security, in battle armors, he tough they where like transforming toys and transformed the armors, into flying ships, with the humans “pilots†still inside! :eek: Mxy condition to go was if Luthor managed to make him as bald as himself. Luthor tricked Mxy (I believe he used weapons against Mxy to destroy his hair). Mxy was so mad that he changed the room they where, and Luthor, for a few seconds and then disappear. The problem was that he learned to lie.

In his next appearance he forced Flash and Superman to compete on a race. He told Superman that he must win if he wanted him to leave. Flash won (by a hair) and Superman find out that Myx was lying, and then he leaves.

I don’t mind Myx, but I can only take him on (really) small douses.

Mr. Mxyzptlk, not to be confused with the Earth-2 Mr. Mxyztplk, is a character that should be used sparingly—i.e. only when a writer has a truly brilliant idea. overused, he becomes about as interesting as Q, after his tenth appearance.

Keith "Kltpzykm--

In his next appearance he forced Flash and Superman to compete on a race. He told Superman that he must win if he wanted him to leave. Flash won (by a hair) and Superman find out that Myx was lying' date=' and then he leaves.[/quote']

Just curious. If Supes thought that winning was the way to get rid of him, why on Earth didn't the Flash throw the race? Was he mind-controlled or something?

Just curious. If Supes thought that winning was the way to get rid of him' date=' why on Earth didn't the Flash throw the race? Was he mind-controlled or something?[/quote']

He told Superman, not Flash. The better question would be, why didn't Supes tell Flash?

The voice in Supes TAS was perfect. I see him as a comic relief, someone you have to outthink rather than "punch until bloody". In an RPG, he's a plot device without stats. He's perfect for the superhero who takes himself too seriously. And being the most powerful hero on Earth, he's a perfect match for the most obnoxious higher being.

Was this a fanfic or an actual comic story?

Not only was it an actual comic story, it was the only Myx story I ever thought was worth anything. It would make an interesting alternate world to visit if you had a campaign set far enough back in comics history. Superman, for example, kind of got pounded by Clara Kent/Superwoman because, still stuck in the Silver Age he couldn't bring himself to hit a woman. Imagine a World War II campaign where the PC team is blown out of reality and find themselves in a world where 9 out of ten heros are female and men are treated with the breathtaking condecension that female Golden Age characters were regularly treated to.

I see him as a comic relief' date=' someone you have to outthink rather than "punch until bloody".[/quote']

Actually, his first post-Crisis appearance was very much not in the role of comic relief. It was made very clear that his "pranks" had caused a lot of people very serious psychological problems.

Mr. Mxyzptlk' date=' not to be confused with the Earth-2 Mr. Mxyztplk, is a character that [i']should[/i] be used sparingly—i.e. only when a writer has a truly brilliant idea. overused, he becomes about as interesting as Q, after his tenth appearance.

Keith "Kltpzykm--

Keith Curtis went to Zrfff and all got was this lousy post.... :D