Was watching Superman TAS and wondered about Mxyzptlk

massey

Re: Was watching Superman TAS and wondered about Mxyzptlk

If I ever develop a sense of humor I might actually learn to like Mxyzptlk. :)

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I think I _have_ a sense of humor and I still think Mxyzptlk is a stupid character. If I were going to revamp Superman, I'd definitely write him OUT of the continuity.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I think I _have_ a sense of humor and I still think Mxyzptlk is a stupid character. If I were going to revamp Superman' date=' I'd definitely write him OUT of the continuity.[/quote']

+1

Never cared for the little weirdo. Too cartoonish and silly, even compared to a bullet proof guy who can fly and shoot lasers from his eyes.

See, I might keep the little bastard around, but only if I wanted to slowly erode the Superman mythos by revealing that Mxyz is all in Clarks head :P

'Course, I probably shouldn't even say such things in jest, least somone over at DC think it's a brilliant idea...

See, I might keep the little bastard around, but only if I wanted to slowly erode the Superman mythos by revealing that Mxyz is all in Clarks head :P

'Course, I probably shouldn't even say such things in jest, least somone over at DC think it's a brilliant idea...

I belive they used that in an issue of Legends of the Dark Knight to explain Bat-Mite.

I really liked the "Second" appearance of Mxyzptlk in Byrne's reboot. Superman gets him to spell his name backwards almost immediately, and Mxyzptlk says "Oh, no, that was last time. This time you have to... make me paint my face blue!" I like the idea that the only reason he leaves is that he is honoring the rules of a game...

Mxyzptlk did torment Luthor once, when Superman was off-planet.

Luthor beat the tar out of him, and Mxyzptlk was really confused. Luthor explained that it was called "cheating"...

I wrote a piece of DC fanfiction a few years back where I had Bat-Mite mess around with the Flash for a change of pace.

I was pleased with Mxy's appearances in the comics and the cartoon. It was just a nice way to have Superman think his way out of situations where his powers alone couldn't do it. A good contrast to, say, a knock-down drag-out fist fight with Metallo.

I am so not going to mention "The Turnabout Trap!", which was the story when Mxy changed the genders of everybody on Earth, just to mess with Superman's head.

Louis Lane and Clara Kent. Oh yeah.

I remember that story, Supes Figures out that it was Myx and not a trip to another universe because Clara and Superwoman were not the same person. Superwoman's arch-enemy was Superman. (Wasn't there an Alexis Luthor in that story too.)

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I think I _have_ a sense of humor and I still think Mxyzptlk is a stupid character. If I were going to revamp Superman' date=' I'd definitely write him OUT of the continuity.[/quote']

They 'killed' Myxzptlk in a recent Superman story (Infinite Crisis Cross Over) and implied he was not coming back. But some characters just won't die, even if the editors say so... :eek:

basically, he's a foil/comic relief villain to torment the straight-laced Supes, and one whom Supes can't simply beat with his usual Kryptonian bag of tricks--he has to outwit him.

I think if they made him more like Loki, or the Trickster character from the old CU, he'd be a more appealing character. Also, since this is the Iron Age of Comics, perhaps having the pranks be a bit more mean-spirited might be appropriate.

I think if they made him more like Loki' date=' or the Trickster character from the old CU, he'd be a more appealing character. Also, since this is the Iron Age of Comics, perhaps having the pranks be a bit more mean-spirited might be appropriate.[/quote']

The very last issue of Superman before Inf Crisis rebooted the DC universe was a sort of Epilogue to the silver age Supes.

Among the bits was Mxyzptlk announcing that as an immortal being beyond concepts of mortality he had chosen his "wacky elf" behaviour as a lark. Something to pass the time. It had now become boring after 1000 years and he had decided to become murderously evil for the next 1000 years. (And heck after that he might even try Guilty for a 1000 years).

Somebody whacked him (don't remember who).

But then Supes relaunched with Bryne's #1 and it was all washed away......

The very last issue of Superman before Inf Crisis rebooted the DC universe was a sort of Epilogue to the silver age Supes.

Among the bits was Mxyzptlk announcing that as an immortal being beyond concepts of mortality he had chosen his "wacky elf" behaviour as a lark. Something to pass the time. It had now become boring after 1000 years and he had decided to become murderously evil for the next 1000 years. (And heck after that he might even try Guilty for a 1000 years).

Somebody whacked him (don't remember who).

But then Supes relaunched with Bryne's #1 and it was all washed away......

IIRC, Superman used the ray to send beings into the Phantom Zone on Mxy at the same time Mxy was going back to the Fifth Dimension, thereby ripping him apart and killing Mxy. Since Superman broke his vow to never kill, he exposed himself to Gold Kryptonite and lost all his powers and lived out his life as a human with Lois Lane.

I believe that issue also contained one of my all time favorite comic book scenes - Mxy made many of Superman's enemies attack him and The Kryptonite Man was walking through the Fortress of Solitude about to kill Supes. Krypto leaps out and goes for KM's throat. KM is getting his @$$ whipped all the time saying, "You stupid dog. Don't you realize I'm killing you?" Krypto kills KM and dies for his effort, saving Superman.

Good story.

Slightly unrelated question (although I am enjoying this thread!!):

You mentioned finding comics online. The only place I have managed to uncover any is through lovely sainted people who scan their collections in and share them over person-to-person services like eMule. Is there another locale I can find comics online that you are aware of? :sneaky:

Argus

-too cheap for my own good (or at least the good of the local comics store)

Never liked Mxyplitisik (whatever it is) always annoyed the heck out of me. Though, I did like the fact Superman used his brain for a change. Need something to prove that Superman actually is smarter than a sack of potatoes once in a while.:rolleyes:

Anyhow, I think Mxyplitskin (:rolleyes: ) should be banished to a dimension all to himself except the one other: Q from Star Trek. Sentence them to eternity annoying the hell out of each other. Make it a sitcom.:thumbup: