If you should need a map of a regular house

Flames

When I'm running a game like Dark Champions and the PCs are on their way to raid or protect some kind of regular residential house, I usually just think of the layout of someone's house that I know, and go with that.

But now, thanks to a tip from the DLI podcast, I'm going to use the maps available for free at http://www.dreamhomesource.com. I tried it and it's really pretty cool. You can get a PDF of a house of nearly any size and shape, and very often there's a drawing of it, so you can print the drawing and hold it up during gameplay and say, "Okay, the house looks like this from the front."

The floorplans are incredibly detailed, right down to fixtures and bathtubs and such.. Just add furniture and a basement and the maps are complete. I just wonder if it's possible to digitally overlay a hex grid on one of these PDFs.

And just looking at these floorplans gives me ideas for scenarios. I sit there staring at them going, "Okay, so, the PCs are hanging around in a guy's living room, and the ninjas sent to assassinate him will try to get in here, here, here, and here..."

Re: If you should need a map of a regular house

And the smallest floorplans work for two bedroom apartments! Perfect for a hudson city character.

Yeah, and some of the mirror-image duplexes could be mirrored and remirrored as much as you like, to form an apartment building. :)

• 1 month later...

Re: If you should need a map of a regular house

I think that just about all those floorplans use feet as measurement, so if I get the PDF and open it in some kind of layout program that can handle PDFs, I can go to this site and get a grid that can be appropriately sized to match the size of the layout after doing a little math:

http://www.incompetech.com/beta/hexagonalGraphPaper/hex.html

I can figure out the math while I'm doing it, but I don't have the math chops to lay out any hardcore formulas right here. I can say that having the rulers visible on the top and left side of the layout page helps, as does paying attention to the X and Y size parameters that change as I draw a selection marquis around the outer wall border of the floorplan.

I will say this, too... I tried printing out a floorplan that I downloaded and laid out a perfectly proportional hex grid on in InDesign (using the floorplan of a small office building that I'd downloaded from http://www.anchormodular.com, and it came out very well.

I resized the floorplan so that the 30-foot wall was about 4.6 inches on the page, making it fit the grid. I made a grid on that site I mentioned, setting the hex leg length to .578, and then imported the resulting PDF and laid it over top of the floorplan.

I sent it to my laserprinter, and there it was, a floorplan with exact, perfectly proportional 1-inch hexes that I could easily use in a Hero System game.

If I wanted something bigger, I could lay it out as an 11x17 document, use the "shrink to fit printer" setting, print it out on 8.5x11 or 8.5x14, and then blow it back up on a copy machine, and I could have a mansion or large office building laid out and ready for use. For an office building, I could make multiple copies, one for each floor, and pencil the details in as needed.

• 8 months later...