Tall Ship Plans

Shike019

Does anyone know where I can download readable plans for a Tall Ship?

All of the ones I can find aren't readable at the scale they are at, and when i try to increase the size, it becomes distorted.

I'm looking for something along the lines of a spanish galleon.

Re: Tall Ship Plans

THanks guys. I tried putting this request up on the d20 boards as well and all I got was attitude and insults. It's nice to know there is a place to go where people actually treat you like a person.

I have found in my expereince that those who limit themselves to strictly d20 (aka D&D) are pretty close minded and on the more youthful side. That is why I choose this forum to dedicate my time to. By and large, most players that can grasp a game system like Hero don't have room in their lives for being little.

I have gotten alot of help from the folks on these boards and it was a real pleasure to be able to actually contribute for a change. ;)

THanks guys. I tried putting this request up on the d20 boards as well and all I got was attitude and insults. It's nice to know there is a place to go where people actually treat you like a person.

Even just a simple request such as that generated insults? Man it is a scary world out there. I think I'll continue to huddle in my refuge of the HeroGames Forums. :fear::)

Ich bin ein Berliner.

I can neither prove, nor deny, that I am a jelly doughnut.

Welcome/here/back/still to the HERO board. I spent a lot of time Board Lording at ENWorld - I know what you mean about both wanting to contribute and being frustrated by a bunch of people who find throwing rocks from inside their glass houses to be a good past time.

Top Five Things TH loves about the HERO System:

5. It's the only system I know that makes sense through and through, with little or no mechanical break. It's clean, and it works.

4. The people whom I've met on the boards have been kind, curteous, and rarely (if ever) unnecessarily snarky. The occassional flare up, sure, but a strong, supportive community.

3. You'd be hard pressed to find better written base material anywhere. I mean, anywhere. Even the books I don't like are above & beyond any d20 material I've purchased in the last 5 years (my Ravenloft books notwithstanding, but that's a 'me' thing rather than a book thing - but Ravenloft & HERO share a lot in common in how they were approached, which is why WoTC repealed Arthaus' license).

2. Steve & Co. aren't WotC. You aren't dealing with a faceless entity which is out to bilk you on unnecessary books. The rules are consistent and remain consistent throughout all of the published material.

1. You can build ANYTHING. And just as important (and tied for first) is that you can always - ALWAYS - ask Steve directly on his personal board if you're confused. And should you get stuck, see point 4 - this is a rockin' community I'm a proud member of. There's a reason I'm switching systems, and if I could get away with it, I'd switch my d20 Ravenloft game to HERO as well.

But I'd have a mutiny on my hands. ;)

Ravenloft, and to some extent, Masque of the Red Death - their plagiarism of Lovecraft, were two of the first expansions that tried to get away from the genre trope of Heroic/Superheroic High Fantasy which the D&D/D20 rules were written to simulate. And possibly the start of their downfall as players began to realise that so many changes were needed for other genres, and other genres actually existed. They could do things other than become super powered, magically beweaponed killing machines.

if anyone is interested, I'd be more than happy to do a d20 Ravenloft - HERO conversion. It isn't strictly necessary, and you'd have to buy the books for all of the copious amounts of background material they installed in their new persistent world, but there's plenty of Ravenloft specific gear and Fear/Horror/Madness rules I'd be happy to port over for those who care.

And, oh yes. [threadjack.] Sorry 'bout that.

Getting back on topic <>. You might try to see if you can find a copy of an old FGU product called "Biremes & Galleys" I believe. It was rules for using ships ffrom the earliest Ancient vessels up through the Rennaisance. What was nice about it was that they included carboard layouts of various of the ships & I believe that they had a galleon plan but I don't remember & have lost my set (mutter, mutter, mutter). But I do remember that they did have teh layout for a brig. The floorplans were scaled for 25mm or 1" = approx. 6'. Hope this helps.

On the other topic, if you ever get the rules done for Ravenloft in HERO I'd be interested in seeing them. I was sceptical of Ravenloft until I looked at the reading list of source material & realized that the authors were trying to do actual Gothic horror instead of slasher horror. It's 1 of the few D20 games that I ever liked.

The current products are also Gothic Horror. I'm not a slasher guy either, although in the vein of 'horror' there isn't much you can't touch. Space Horror (ALIENS), Gothic Horror (Ravenloft/Snow White: A Tale of Terror) Survival Horror (28 Days/Dawn of the Dead) Comedy Horror (Dusk Till Dawn) and so on. There's dozens (maybe close to a couple hundred?) of old, bad Hammer Films that cover everything from Dracula to the Wolfman.

Horror is as broad a category as anything else - it's easy to pidgeon hole, but it goes beyond "what scares you" and can be more easily categorized as "what you might not have wanted to see or know." Were I to do a Ravenloft Conversion, what all would people want to see?

Spells are spells, and are part of the d20 framework. Class packages? Racial packages? Weaponry? Some monster conversions? I'm doing a HALO Hero conversion on the Star HERO board now, when that's done I'd be more than happy to pick this up as a project since I'm doing it anyway.

Yamato, Thanks. I think I found something (I know that the plans that I have are not necessarily realistic, but they work well for what I'm doing. I actually have the majority of the ship built w/ the exceptions of the masts, sails, and a little bit of the bow. If you all would Like I will take pictures and post them, or I will post some when I'm finished.

Again I made the ship with 1" squares instead of hexes as the squares are easier to draw (and i still play DND).

If anyone has any questions or advice for me, please don't hesitate to say something.

Oh, on the subject of Tall Ships (I don't even know how I got to Ravenloft, but I want to contribute anyway). There's a bunch of sites if you do a Google search for "Man o' War" and "Ships of the Line" that cover basic masts & rigging for your nomenclature. I note this because you get much more flavor from using the terms "F'ocstle" and "Jiggermast" than simply "Bow," and "the sail on the front of the boat."

Also, if you're building Ships of the Line, remember that they come in 6 basic varieties, from "1st ship of the line" to "6th ship of the line." The largest, the Man o' Wars, were multi-deck 100+ cannon affairs, with crews upwards of a six hundred (or easily more) men, most of whom were tired and bitter all the time. Their primary tactic was to - you guessed it - "hold the line" in a horizontal position, allowing them to aim all 40+ deck guns at a target. Man o' Wars also usually carried forward cannon, called chasers, and rear cannon to discourage pursuit. Never enough to really hurt another large vessle, but certainly enough to get its attention.

There's also a site about Yachting that covers "shipman's terms" including "the whole nine yards" - which if you take their definition, means dropping sail on all three yard-arms across all three masts, hence "the whole nine yards." Also to "freeze the balls off a brass monkey" is referred to as a nautical term. The brass monkey is a 9-pipped brass cannon ball holder; when it got cold enough, the metal contracted and the balls wouldn't be as stable, and would roll off. Thus, cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. I can't vouch for the accuracy of either of these, but they do add a definate flavor.

He also covers "shake a leg" - now just ask yourself "who's leg" and you've got the idea. Directly related is "son of a gun" for a child born aboard ship. I also suggest you know how to keel-haul people.