Space Wizards (info, advice, & suggestions sought)

BobGreenwade

Re: Space Wizards (info, advice, & suggestions sought)

Sorry about the thread necromancy, but Bob's recent mention of his Space Wizards setting on another thread prompted me to go back over a few thoughts.

My personal favorite character from the 4E Champions Universe was Nuada of the Silver Hand, from Kingdom of Champions. The inspiration for the legendary Irish god, Nuada was rebuilt as an incredibly advanced immortal cyborg warrior through the actions of the Progenitors. Seeing as the Progenitors existed in the 5E CU, and that some of their techology has been mentioned as still existing in this galaxy, it wouldn't be unreasonable for characters to have origins based on discovering it. This would have the advantage of adding another technological element to the SW setting so that it isn't completely dominated by magic, which is something that Bob suggested he wanted.

I posited just such an origin for a character that Mike Surbrook wrote up for the Galactic Champions era, Nina Corovic.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

STAR HERO SPOILERS BELOW (White Text, Edited to Add Spoiler Space):

The official CU 5E version of the Thane are written up in the GM's Vault section of Worlds of Empire.

I didn't get a lot of details because I was just browsing in my FLGS and didn't have the bread to shell out for both that and Ultimate Speedster, but Bob, you may want to check this out.

STAR HERO SPOILERS BELOW (White Text):

The official CU 5E version of the Thane are written up in the GM's Vault section of Worlds of Empire.

I didn't get a lot of details because I was just browsing in my FLGS and didn't have the bread to shell out for both that and Ultimate Speedster, but Bob, you may want to check this out.

I hate to tell you this, but those of use who use the gray background version of the boards can read this just fine.

I hate to tell you this' date=' but those of use who use the gray background version of the boards can read this just fine.[/quote']

Well, oops. I edited the post to add a little "spoiler space," but other than that it will just have to be caveat lector.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but has anyone read Silence in Solitude?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary remarks that we need to get the prequel someday...

I hate to tell you this' date=' but those of use who use the gray background version of the boards can read this just fine.[/quote']I'm aware of the fact anyway.

I do have WOE on order. Thanks for the tip anyway, though, nt. :)

Forgive me if this has been mentioned' date=' but has anyone read [u']Silence in Solitude?[/u]
If it's appropriate as inspiration to the setting, an author's name (or, better yet, link to the Amazon page) would be very helpful.... ;)

The author is Melissa Scott; it's part of a series, but I only read the one, and that was years ago. However, it was one of the most wonderful and imaginative treatments of "space wizards" I have ever seen; the sort of thing I'd go back and re-read if I could find it, if I were setting out to do an interplanetary magical game.

The author actually knows her magick.

The first book was Five Twelfths of Heaven; Silence in Solitudecame after, followed by Empress of Earth. The Trilogy was also published together as Roads of Heaven.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary offers this Wikipedia link for the author: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melissa_Scott

And this site about the author too:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/melissa-scott/

Bob,

Is this going to be an official published Hero setting? If not, are you going to be making the setting available on the web?

Not officially published by DOJ. Once I'm close to done with the manuscript (which I'm fitting between a novel and rewrites on about a half-dozen plays -- though I'm currently about 1/3 to 1/2 done overall) I'll talk to Steve about licensing. (I also know I'm going to have to line up some artwork and a bunch of other stuff, but right now I'm focusing on the setting.)

• 4 months later...

Thread necromancy!

I would sugget reading the following books by Lilith Saintcrow:

Working for the devil

Dead Man Rising

They take place in a future where magic and psionics exist side by side. The main character is a Necromancer who raises the spirits of murdered people to help find their killers.

As long as this thread has been revived ([Colin Clive] "It's alive! IT'S ALIIIVE!!"[/Colin Clive]), I was considering the possibility of some of the Az'arc'a using "containment suits" (technological and/or magical) to enable them to survive in an atmosphere/gravity well and interact with material beings. If they could also use some of their natural abilities through these suits, such as their energy-projection power, they could make effective and useful PCs.

As long as this thread has been revived ([Colin Clive] "It's alive! IT'S ALIIIVE!!"[/Colin Clive])' date=' I was considering the possibility of some of the Az'arc'a using "containment suits" (technological and/or magical) to enable them to survive in an atmosphere/gravity well and interact with material beings. If they could also use some of their natural abilities through these suits, such as their energy-projection power, they could make effective and useful PCs.[/quote']

Even though it was mentioned in the other thread, Az'arc'a could be used to animate golems. This could be a choice to interact with the physical world, or could be a trap by a wizard to animate his creation.

As long as this thread has been revived ([Colin Clive] "It's alive! IT'S ALIIIVE!!"[/Colin Clive])' date=' I was considering the possibility of some of the Az'arc'a using "containment suits" (technological and/or magical) to enable them to survive in an atmosphere/gravity well and interact with material beings. If they could also use some of their natural abilities through these suits, such as their energy-projection power, they could make effective and useful PCs.[/quote']I had planned on downplaying the Az'arc'a, but this is a really clever idea and could be interesting.... :cool:

• 2 months later...

Pardon the thread necromancy, Bob, but as I just remembered that there was a scenario posited in the DEMON sourcebook by which Sharna-Gorak would reemerge in the Galactic Champions era, is there any possibility that we'll see him or his machinations in Space Wizards? At the very least he could easily be part of this timeline, one reason for the disastrous collapse of interstellar civilization. Some of his legacy might still be reverberating in the SW era.

No pardoning ever needed for thread necromancy where SW is concerned. :D

I will be using Sharna-Gorak in SW. I don't expect to include a character sheet (the 3500 editions of Mechanon and Viperia are enough for uber-powerful villains in this setting), but he'll be around in person and controlling some Really Bad Stuff.

• 2 months later...

ORION is perhaps the most detailed (OVERDETAILED) science fantasy story ever done' date=' and apparently is being reprinted right now! Rarely mentioned, barely understood, and quite a trippy read.[/quote']

Ooohhh......