Help! World of Edean Pantheon

Enforcer84

While this project is taking a back seat to other projects this year, I'd like to continue working on it. That said, I was wondering if you guys might be able to aid me.

The Edean Link in my sig will let you take a look at my Pantheon and some of the individual deities that I have come up with; my issue, is what am I missing?

I have ideas for the twin goddesses of Love/Passion/Lust

I'm thinking I want to have Sun, Earth, Sea, & Wind Gods

Perhaps an Athena/Ares split for War Gods?

just remember that for each "Portfolio" I need two gods, one a darker, more likely evil than the others. The Althonic pantheon is steeped in accruments too, often having a named weapon, item, pet, mount, etc.

Thanks in advance for anyone who wants to lend a hand. :)

Re: Help! World of Edean Pantheon

Feel free to compile things on my wiki too :)

Anyhow, thoughts on pantheon-

Fertility, hearth&home, and abundant harvest you may want.

And Myrra could be just be summed as amoral selfishness :)

Healing, health, and possibly selflessness and caring.

Sea, trade, market and travel.

Afterlife, underworld or gatekeeper to other realms.

Law, order, contracts and oaths.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay this didn't go well. :)

Thanks Curufea for the response. How about this. I give you a portfolio and you help me figure the Light/Dark sides to that portfolio.

I'm going to want:

A Sun God

A Moon God

A Sea God

An Underworld Sentinel

A "Technology/Artisan" God

A Law God

A Sky God

Sun God:

Benevolent:

Fights Undead

Gives Life

Warmth and comfort

Malevolent:

Destroyer of vegitation

Burns victims

Destructive Arrogance

Moon God:

Benevoent:

Malevolent:

Maddness

Sea God:

Benevolent:

Wards Sailors

Travel

Healing (Water's a healing element)

Malevolent:

Pirates Patron

Impedes Travel

Destroyer

Stealer of treasure (By sinking ships)

Underworld:

Benevolent:

Judges & Protects the souls of the Dead to their final journies

Fights Plagues and Sickness

Fights Undead

Malevolent:

Patrons Undead

Kill kill kill!

Artisan:

Thrill of invention/creation

aiding mankind

Art for art sake

Sees magic in the world

Technician:

remake the world in his image

Technology above magic, above mankind

Law God

Benevolent:

True

Justice

Protection

Malevolent:

Word of Law

Bureacratic Dominance

Legal Tyranny

Sky God:

Benevolent:

Protector

Bringer of Crops

Malevolent:

Random Destruction.

you help is desired!

Moon God seems to be a little light on the spheres of influence.

I suggest taking Bringer of Crops from Sky God and adding it too Moon Goddess. Then, you can make it a Moon Goddess benevolent responsibilities the crop cycle and motherhood while keeping the lunacy/lunar madness malevolent portion. Moon Goddess is the Woman/Mother of the pantheon.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I am looking for some names now.

Anurhak is my God of Healing. He is opposed by his opposite number, Veshore, the God of Diseases.

Amora is my goddess of love, beauty, romance, and passion. She is "opposed" by Shehiba, the goddess of lust, obssession, and vanity. Their rivalry is friendly on a level that makes many of their fellow deities uncomfortable.

Rhan is the God of the Waters and Seas, he protects sailors and is the patron of the Brin. His dark twin is Kothos. He sinks ships to fill his bottomless desire for treasure and destruction.

Brianne is the Sky Goddess. She is bringer of rain and gower of crops. She is a warrior goddess as well, picture Storm of the X-Men as Thor...

She is opposed by Pursheya, a goddes of fury and destruction. These two throw down at the drop of a winged helmet and cause the most problems for their respective leaders in regards to the Truce. There is talk among the gods though that if they weren't simply on opposite sides of the Pantheon that they'd get along fine. God's who say this out lout get hit.

Whesh is the God of the Winds, he serves as messenger for Althor and has the communication portfolio as well as winds. He is the brother of Brianne.

HIs opposite number Lothoric is a destructive deity who chaffes under the yoke of any "leader" He is just as willing to fight his own pantheon and has paid the price for challenging Persheya for the right to rule the skies and Hyrod for leadership of the Dark Pantheon. He is currently "resting" in what was once his palace after his failed coup.

Furost is the God of Artisans and Developers. His natural form is Boveen. He is their patron deity. He has forged the weapons and armors of legend that he and the good gods wield and wear. Furost also champions technology. His "Opposite" is a creater of destructive items. Balthius is a developer and artisan as well, he forges the weapons and relics for his pantheon; he's a paranoid master who demands his followers sacrifice creations to him regularly.

Illyssar is the goddes of the moon. She guides and protects night time travellers; is a patron of Lycantheropes who want to maintain control and help their communities. She is called the Lady of Hope or the Silver Maiden. Her "Bad Moon" copycat is Eruthia. She champions the darkness; shadows, fear, and evil lycantheropes. She also governs "insanity", though it's more accurate to say she consults Veshore on them.

Rayus is the God of War, Tacticians, Heroes. He is a militant diety who desires to end conflicts as quickly and painlessly as possible, but at the same time he patrons the courageous and heroic. His opposite is Thyra, a goddess of discord and bloodshed, She lives for war and death. Rayus and Thyra are also the only "Fraternal Twins" of the Pantheon.

Burke is the God of Justice and Law. He seeks to protect the peoples of Edean by acting as Enforcer of Law and as the patron of Judges. Odyurk is the God of Corruption and Technicalities. His followers use laws to their own ends. He is also one of the few Dark Pantheon members to be relatively popular. His duplicitous nature and silver tongue has lead to a Church that is held in as high esteem as Burke's Ally in Justice. The God of Justice is displeased but the tennants of the Truce have kept him from seeking out and destroying Odyurk.

This is the "Complete" List of Deities; except I have precious few for my Demi-humans, that will change and the list will grow, or adjust...so here it is so far:

The Pantheon of Light (No one refers to them as thus that's just for me)

Althor - The God of Kings, Ruler of the Pantheon

Deias - Protector of Men, Goddess of Loyalty and Truth

Thurakles - God of Strength & Sport

Gainer - God of Community

Anurhak - God of Healing

Amora - Goddess of Beauty, Love, and Passion

Rhan - God of the Seas

Brianne - Goddess of Skies and Rain

Whesh - God of the Winds, messenger

Furost - God of the Artisans/Alchemists/Smiths/Technology

Illyssar - Goddess of the Moon, Hope, and Protection

Rayus - God of War, Tactics, Heroism

Burke - God of Justice, Law

The Dark Pantheon

Hyrod - God of Lordly Might, Tyants, and Tyranny

Myrra - Goddess of Selfishness; the Patron of the Myrran Empire

Thukeal - God of Victory, winning at all costs

Ragnar - God of Nationalism. The Patriot.

Veshore - God of Diseases, Pestilence, Plagues, and Pop music*

Shehiba - Goddess of Lust, Obsession, Vanity

Kothos - The Sea's Fury, Greed

Pursheya - The Skies' Fury, Destruction

Lothoric - God of Swift Destruction, The Lord of Secrets and Conspiracies, The Traitorous

Balthius - God of Greed, Production, Technology, mass produced crap*

Eruthia - Bad Moon Rising. Goddess of Darkness, Insanity, Fear

Thyra - Goddess of Discord, War, Bloodshed

Odyurk - God of Injustice, Corruption, Loopholes*

The Isolated God

Mandori - The God of Nature & The Earth

*Not really but you know they sound good.

• 7 months later...

I ressurect thee!

Here is the updated list.

The Pantheon of Light (No one refers to them as thus that's just for me)

Althor - The God of Kings, Ruler of the Pantheon; God of Wisdom

Deias - Protector of Men, Goddess of Loyalty, Magic, and Truth

Thurakles - God of Strength, Sport, and Heroism

Gainer - God of Community, family

Anurhak - God of Healing

Amora - Goddess of Beauty, Love, and Passion

Rhan - God of the Seas, Sailors and Sealife

Brianne - Goddess of Skies and Rain

Whesh - God of the Winds, messenger

Furost - God of the Artisans/Alchemists/Smiths/Technology

Illyssar - Goddess of the Moon, Hope, and Protection

Rayus - God of War, Tactics, Heroism

Archades - God of Justice, Law

Avendalia – Goddess of the Sun’s bounty

Crossier – The Traveller

Forebess – the Patron of Trade

Piirus – Goddess of Knowledge

The Dark Pantheon

Hyrod - God of Lordly Might, Tyants, and Tyranny

Myrra - Goddess of Selfishness; the Patron of the Myrran Empire

Thukeal - God of Victory, winning at all costs

Ragnar - God of Nationalism. The Patriot.

Veshore - God of Diseases, Pestilence, Plagues, and Pop music*

Shehiba - Goddess of Lust, Obsession, Vanity

Kothos - The Sea's Fury, Greed

Pursheya - The Skies' Fury, Destruction

Lothoric - God of Swift Destruction, the Lord of Secrets and Conspiracies, the Traitorous

Balthius - God of Greed, Production, Technology, mass produced crap*

Eruthia - Bad Moon Rising. Goddess of Darkness, Insanity, Fear

Thyra - Goddess of Discord, War, Bloodshed

Odyurk - God of Injustice, Corruption, Loopholes*

Forthiir – Master of the Sun, the Bane of Undead, Slayer of Shadows, Lord of the Desert

Otheren – the Highwayman

Ecici – The swindler king.

Fennick - the Lady of Lies

The Isolated God

Mandori - The God of Nature & the Earth

*Not really but you know they sound good.

Worship:

For the most part the twin Pantheons are worshiped as one. The Pact has prevented them from truely revealing what is going on up in the heavens. The various churces have more knowledge than the leymen of the world but even they don't know the whole story. Natural rivalries have occured due to the "Dark Side"s covert and occasionally overt demonstrations of their darker nature.

For Example there are many worshipers of Thurakles who due their own desire to win slowly find themselves acting more along Thukeal's tennants. These worshipers might suddenly be visited by the clergy of either or both gods, or have a vision of one of the gods asking them to choose where their spirit of victory will lead them.

Most of Thukeal's worshipers aren't evil cheating bastards; but the best one's are. :)

The rivalry between those two churches is fierce, volitile and often ends in violence.

The Rivalry between Hyrod and Althon is different.

Most rulers have advisors from both churches. They are popular gods with military leaders (along with Thyra and Rayus). Hyrod's church preaches might makes right, Althon's right makes might. Their messages often sound very similar and the two churches, despite an intense (but well hidden) rivalry, work well together.

A few of the Dark Gods simply are unable to fit into society: Veshore's tenants of fostering disease and death; Pursheya's willfull and random destruction; Eruthia's darkness, fear, and insanity; Fennick's destruction of knowledge and the truth; Kothos' anger and destruction of ships, Lothoric's constant plotting and open defiance of all the gods; and Otheren's creed of taking from others.

These tend to be cult like religions with secret temples and hidden worship.

Fennick and Lothoric's fondness of missdirection, lies, and conspiracies lead their churches to attempt development of temples in communities claiming to be worshiping other gods. These ruses are perpetiated for generations before the true clergies can put an end to it. They occasionally help other dark gods get in on this (as open worhip at their temples is better for egos as well as divine power). These two dieties are also blamed (not always correctly) for corruption in other churches.

Question: why are nationalism and patriotism both in the portfolio of a "dark" god? Shouldn't patriotism be considered a good thing?
For that matter, how is nationalism itself a inherently not good thing?

I understand that this could get into political quibbling, but I really don't see the concepts of nationalism and patriotism (either of them) being even fundemental enough quantities, metaphysically to the sentient condition, to have a god devoted to them.

It'd be like having a god devoted to mind/body dualism.

I could possibly see nationalism being wrapped up with a god of aggressive war, but even then I don't see it being an inherently negative concept that it would necessarily be associated with Evil.

EDIT: Now if you made him the god of Hubris, and by extension national chauvinism, I could see his portfolio as being seen as covering corrupt nationalism and excessive jingoism (negative Patriotism)

TB

Question: why are nationalism and patriotism both in the portfolio of a "dark" god? Shouldn't patriotism be considered a good thing?

The Patriot is how he sees himself.

He's an Isolationist.

His communities tend to stagnate.

The Patriot is also his good points.

The "Dark" gods almost all have positive aspects. Among Ragnar's portfolios is Protection. His church always take care of their community. They just prefer to do so by controlling who gets to be a member of said community.

For that matter, how is nationalism itself a inherently not good thing?

I understand that this could get into political quibbling, but I really don't see the concepts of nationalism and patriotism (either of them) being even fundemental enough quantities, metaphysically to the sentient condition, to have a god devoted to them.

It'd be like having a god devoted to mind/body dualism.

I could possibly see nationalism being wrapped up with a god of aggressive war, but even then I don't see it being an inherently negative concept that it would necessarily be associated with Evil.

EDIT: Now if you made him the god of Hubris, and by extension national chauvinism, I could see his portfolio as being seen as covering corrupt nationalism and excessive jingoism (negative Patriotism)

TB

That's kinda where I am going, i could have chosen my words poorly. But this guy is the "Negative" aspect of National Pride. Where as Gainer is the more encompassing side. Gainer's church concerns itself with protecting a city, state, kingdom, etc from outside threats and natural disasters.

Ragnar, being a bit insane, sees threats from all over. His church is insular, watches their neighbors for signs of "dissidence". The vast majority of Ragnar's followers do so in the belief that they are protecting their community and the ones they love. And they do so. Some of his highest level priests act as a "Secret Police", sticking the church's noses into local affairs and reporting to a higher Authority or rousing bands of vigilantes to weed out the 'bad folk'. Trouble is, Ragnar's not very consistant on what his ideas of 'good folk' and 'bad folk' are, and his priests are more often than not left to thier own prejudices. He's very loyal to the Tyrant God and his "side". But his church is very popular with cities and communities they are in. I see him as a slightly Paranoid version of Helm from the Forgotten Realms.

Like I said above, most of the "Dark Pantheon" have positive reputations to some degree and have temples in almost any city. The exceptions noted above and Myrra who rules her own country with an iron, but random fist.

Mandori's got a schism in his church at the moment and is...torn...

You can't walk into a city and judge it's "local alignment" by the temples in it, for the most part. I suppose if there were temples to the God of Disease you might avoid the water and get out of town as quickly as possible, but a temple to the Goddess of War and Discord is common enough in any town with a military base.

That's kinda where I am going, i could have chosen my words poorly. But this guy is the "Negative" aspect of National Pride. Where as Gainer is the more encompassing side. Gainer's church concerns itself with protecting a city, state, kingdom, etc from outside threats and natural disasters.

Ragnar, being a bit insane, sees threats from all over. His church is insular, watches their neighbors for signs of "dissidence". The vast majority of Ragnar's followers do so in the belief that they are protecting their community and the ones they love. And they do so. Some of his highest level priests act as a "Secret Police", sticking the church's noses into local affairs and reporting to a higher Authority or rousing bands of vigilantes to weed out the 'bad folk'. Trouble is, Ragnar's not very consistant on what his ideas of 'good folk' and 'bad folk' are, and his priests are more often than not left to thier own prejudices. He's very loyal to the Tyrant God and his "side". But his church is very popular with cities and communities they are in. I see him as a slightly Paranoid version of Helm from the Forgotten Realms.

Well, how about making him the god of Hubris and Paranoia?

TB

Well, how about making him the god of Hubris and Paranoia?

TB

Expanding on what Enforcer posted, it's because his followers don't think of him as the god of Hubris and Paranoia. To them, he's the Nationalist and the Patriot. Personally I like this take. "I worship the god of Slaughter, Rape, and Slavery" is a red blinking Evil sign even by classical standards, but entire armies could worship the "Lord of Conquest" who just happens to embody the principles of Slaughter, Rape and Slavery, and could still see themselves as the good guys.