The Legacy Champions Lives On!

Ghost Archer

Twenty-four years I have been playing Champions, not Hero, Champions. Over the years I have taught the game to hundreds, not bragging, of people young and old. Last night, Hotshot, aka Archerette, became the newest hero of the Wild Hunt. On her first outing she responded to a simple break-in at the Wayne's Auto Parts located at famed Champions Corner. When she arrived she noted an idling car parked at the curb nearly in front of the building and a shattered plate glass window. Why would someone break into an Auto Parts place when there is a bank across the street? She figured less chance of alarms. So, she waits until the mook comes out of the shop through the shattered window and drops down to meet him.

Okay, punching him was a very bad idea considering all she managed was to knock him to his knees. From this position, the dastardly Viper Agent hit her twice with his VB-A4 "Jackhammer" Blaster Rifle. Very surprised, she found herself soaring across the street and narrowly missing the street light pole. This is about the point she realize that prehaps a ranged attack might be a better option than getting up close and personal.

Let's just say her Fire Bolt did far more to the agent than his blaster did to her. I believe he is still in a coma at SF General. While she didn't stick around for the cops, she did remove all of the agent's neat little Viper toys. Makes a father proud.

Next up, how to convince Archer Jr. that a 'droid is probably not the best type of hero to play to start with. Maybe I can recondition him once I get all of his Star Wars video games hidden. Yeah, right, I got a better chance of ripping off Dr. D then getting video games from a nine year old.

Re: The Legacy Champions Lives On!

Congrats to you Archer. It does my heart good to know that, in this age of video gaming, some of the next generation are taking up the roleplaying hobby.

My daughter has been asking me to run a small game for her. I'm thinking maybe Pokeman, Kim Possible, or Danny Phantom.

• 4 months later...

Aylwin13, it's probably too late now, but anyway thought I'd mention that one of the guys in our group adapted Pokemon to a simplified HERO system that his very small child and friends enjoyed a lot.

I second that it's nice to hear of the young generation taking up RPGs; my sense is this is happening a lot and I wonder if in the next 10 years RPGs won't cycle back a little bit? Doubtful but dreamable.

Twenty-four years I have been playing Champions' date=' not [i']Hero[/i], Champions. Over the years I have taught the game to hundreds, not bragging, of people young and old. Last night, Hotshot, aka Archerette, became the newest hero of the Wild Hunt. On her first outing she responded to a simple break-in at the Wayne's Auto Parts located at famed Champions Corner. When she arrived she noted an idling car parked at the curb nearly in front of the building and a shattered plate glass window. Why would someone break into an Auto Parts place when there is a bank across the street? She figured less chance of alarms. So, she waits until the mook comes out of the shop through the shattered window and drops down to meet him.

Okay, punching him was a very bad idea considering all she managed was to knock him to his knees. From this position, the dastardly Viper Agent hit her twice with his VB-A4 "Jackhammer" Blaster Rifle. Very surprised, she found herself soaring across the street and narrowly missing the street light pole. This is about the point she realize that prehaps a ranged attack might be a better option than getting up close and personal.

Let's just say her Fire Bolt did far more to the agent than his blaster did to her. I believe he is still in a coma at SF General. While she didn't stick around for the cops, she did remove all of the agent's neat little Viper toys. Makes a father proud.

Next up, how to convince Archer Jr. that a 'droid is probably not the best type of hero to play to start with. Maybe I can recondition him once I get all of his Star Wars video games hidden. Yeah, right, I got a better chance of ripping off Dr. D then getting video games from a nine year old.

HEY ARCHER ! If you´re not too busy can you check out My CHS campaign in HC? I´ve had to revise it and am thinking about giving ULTIMATE CHS a reboot so to speak.

Good luck with the teaching. Both of my kids have taken a liking to the game -- mostly for the chance to roll the dice and bash my poor cardboard baddies I got back in the 80s, but I'm slowly introducing them to the idea that there might be a story involved too...

Don't be afraid to use any elements from shows that have anything even remotely translateable into the appropriate genre. Fortunately there's a lot of superhero-type stuff on the idiot box these days...

The game I run for my kids (very infrequently since my normal GMing style is NOT kid friendly) borrows mostly from Teen Titans (yeah, my kids liked it -- and I even didn't mind a few of the episodes) and my son was hooked on Power Rangers for the longest time (anybody else looked at Istvatha V'Han and said "It's morphing time!").

Best advice I can throw regardless of how you go about it, be sure to make the most out of anything your young player does that is fun...

Last time we gamed was the first time all four players got together, and only the second time my daugher's character was played. Scenario had the alien invaders setting up some strange device in a small canyon and the baddies consisted of Ogre, Nebula (ignoring the duress guantlets), 6x D-Soldiers, and a V'Hanian Hovertank. Main point of the scenario was to try and get across the idea of basic tactics (having two adults in the group, one of whom is an experienced player really helps)...

Our heroes come up with a decent 'lightning strike' type plan, and the dice are good to them, giving them complete surprise (note to GM's: 20d6 Move-Through on Ogre is a really effective way to take out Ogre if he's surprised)...

The villain portion of the scenario never got a chance to even say 'eep' before they were taken out making the most dangerous thing on the mat the Hovertank...

My daughter (aka: my littlest monster) has her char jump on top of the tank (effectively taking herself out of the tank's firing arcs -- something I doubt she considered, being all of 8) and try to start pounding through the top...

A couple moments later I'm glancing down at my CKC and notice a Hovertank only has a STR of 30 -- and I recall my littlest monster is playing a density based flying brick (all chars were randomly rolled using Champions)...

"Uhm, hand me Rocky's sheet a moment would you?" as I suddenly start to wonder just how much the brick weighs...

Needless to say there was much hilarity (and my daughter was quite pleased with herself) as I proceeded to describe the Hovertank's forcible grounding...