Call Captain Planet!

CrosshairCollie

Need a bit of help trying to fill out an introductory adventure idea ...

Rather than trying to assemble the team with the old '5 heroes arrive at the same place at the same time' schtick (which is the Superhero equivalent of 'You're all in this tavern, see ...'), I was considering a slight alternate where all the PCs wind up investigating five related, simultaneous happenings and gather together afterwards during the course of the investigations.

My idea was for the Devil's Advocates (I do love Arcane Adversaries!) to split up; while there's a horde of brain-eating zombies swarming the streets, they work on placing summoning scrolls in places that are sources of pollution; then, when the time is right, they try to summon a huge 'Toximental' being to start a rampage ... which may well be a diversion for something *else*. ;)

Anyway, since I should have five PCs, I'm shooting for five different types of pollutants generated from industry/civilization rather than natural (like volcanoes shooting ash into the sky). So, far, I have:

1. Smog/Smoke/Soot - any manufacturing plant, really.

2. Garbage - any landfill

3. Nuclear Waste - a nuclear facility

4. Sewage - all over the place. :)

Anybody got a fifth I can steal? :)

Call Captain Planet!

Well, it's obvious you've got the four elements covered.

Since you reference Captain Planet, and I think that series had the popular but to me wonky idea that there are FIVE elements, the obvious question is - what, to you, constitutes a quintessence, or "fifth element?"

Once you have that, you can figure out what corruption of that element constitutes your fifth pollutant.

In fact, "corruption" in the common sense of graft and bribery and general moral turpitude may be the "pollutant" you want. The location in this case is perhaps City Hall, or the local offices of some beaurocracy. Perhaps the fifth character is investigating why the EPA is letting four notorious area polluters go unsanctioned?

I assume the "toximental" has malign powers derived from the various pollutants. This would be the pollutant that gives the creature a very high COM and PRE and perhaps social skills like Persuasion and Oratory. Possibly even things like Images, Mental Illusions, and Mind Control.

The essence of corruption is deception. Not just "covering up" malfeasance, decieving the public, but self-deception on the part of corrupt individuals and institutions, causing them to see as desirable that which is actually repugnant, to embrace as being in their interest that which should repel or terrify them.

Perhaps the monster will be able to provide people with something that appears useful, convenient, or merely attractive, and it will be a challenge to make them understand that it's somehow poisonous or dangerous. Perhaps the creature's presence itself is somehow "in-toxic-ating."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary gives these words to live by: Sane Oat Hood Rugs

Re: Call Captain Planet!

Noise Pollution. It's a legit concern. I know New York City has some strict noise and decibel bylaws with a squad of special inspectors checking everything from airports to air conditioners to make sure they're in code.

Another "pollution" that pops off my tongue is Light Pollution. However, that is pretty much the bane of astronomers and pretty much nobody else.

Well, in the Captain Planet series, Dr. Blight had at one point created 5 anti-rings which could summon "Captain Pollution."

Deforestation

Irradiation

Smog

Sludge

and

Hate

were the elements involved therein. You've got the first four equivalently covered; I'd personally just go with Hate, and see if your players get the reference XD;

Anyway, since I should have five PCs, I'm shooting for five different types of pollutants generated from industry/civilization rather than natural (like volcanoes shooting ash into the sky). So, far, I have:

Given that you're using the Advocates, I'd say the fifth should be a Spell Dump - some blasted, blighted place that local mages have used down through the years to test out new spells, pour out failed potions, burn cursed books, and dump the remains of sacrifices.

hates a good one as it can represent both spiritual and psycological corruption

i must say i like the idea of 4 hulking power houses representing the evil elements

say

smog a thick vaguely human cloud of boiling toxic gases flyer/infiltrator de-solidification plus nnd and area attacks and darkness powers ( air)

garbage a mountain of living rubbish growth based on absorbing local litter the brick of the team ( earth)

Toxin liquid form toxic liquid blasts acid powers change environment oil slicks and various negative toxic effects ( water)

meltdown walking mass of barely contained radiation hulking containment suit constantly venting contaminated steam, an energy blaster with a damage shields and strength enhancing containment suit ( fire)

finally hate a wiry almost pigeon chested skin head mentalist tactician and bully his hate powers are perhaps the weakest offensively but have the greatest ability to really create chaos the others could destroy and ecosystem or as city but hate could tear apart a country.

I thought that was; Super-radiation' date=' Deforestation, Smog, Toxics,Hate.[/quote']

*checks Wikipedia*

You're correct (though irradation, super-radation ... kinda the same thing). I actually consulted Wikipedia's entry for Captain Pollution, but didn't really feel 'Deforestation' was quite what I was shooting for (since I couldn't really see how you could make that into an elemental, unless it was a tree that just kept cutting itself down ... or maybe cut down other people with leaf blades. SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT!!).

Guest The JeRQ

Noise Pollution. It's a legit concern. I know New York City has some strict noise and decibel bylaws with a squad of special inspectors checking everything from airports to air conditioners to make sure they're in code.

Another "pollution" that pops off my tongue is Light Pollution. However, that is pretty much the bane of astronomers and pretty much nobody else.

Bet that puts a cramp on the concert scene.:thumbdown

*checks Wikipedia*

You're correct (though irradation, super-radation ... kinda the same thing). I actually consulted Wikipedia's entry for Captain Pollution, but didn't really feel 'Deforestation' was quite what I was shooting for (since I couldn't really see how you could make that into an elemental, unless it was a tree that just kept cutting itself down ... or maybe cut down other people with leaf blades. SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT!!).

I think the show's writers went with deforestation because that ring was given to Luten Plunder. (Wikipedia is down, so I can't check the spelling on the name right now.)

Guest Schwarzwald

Not to whine here, but I found captain planet to be offensive, insulting, hateful and racist after watching just a couple eps for curiousity.

I'm overweight and found the portrayal of overweight people as pig like beasts with snouts, pointed ears, tusks and razorback heaicuts to be extremely offensive.

Also the american kid was portrayed as dumb, loud, ignorant and overweight. As an american I found that stereotype insulting.

I suppose the movie was the epitome' of political correctness; I.E. insult and stereotype overweight people, americans and white males but make everyone else out to be perfect.

I really hated it and wonder how many overweight kids were hury by the negative image and stereotypes it espoused. I watched an ep or two because the right wingers where going on about how it was leftist propaganda aimed at kids, and found it to be as bad as they said it was.

Rather than add a fifth, here's an alternative list of 5 pollutants which are difficult to dispose of:

1. Acid (car batteries, many industrial processes)

2. Lead (car exhaust emissions)

3. Mercury (many industrial processes)

4. Oil (let's just say: "Exxon Valdez")

5. Radioactive material (power plants, hospitals).

Not to whine here, but I found captain planet to be offensive, insulting, hateful and racist after watching just a couple eps for curiousity.

I'm overweight and found the portrayal of overweight people as pig like beasts with snouts, pointed ears, tusks and razorback heaicuts to be extremely offensive.

Also the american kid was portrayed as dumb, loud, ignorant and overweight. As an american I found that stereotype insulting.

I suppose the movie was the epitome' of political correctness; I.E. insult and stereotype overweight people, americans and white males but make everyone else out to be perfect.

I really hated it and wonder how many overweight kids were hury by the negative image and stereotypes it espoused. I watched an ep or two because the right wingers where going on about how it was leftist propaganda aimed at kids, and found it to be as bad as they said it was.

Thank you for that insightfull whine about a show that, by your own admission, you have seen very little of. In fact, from you last paragraph, it sounds like you came to the show determined to confirm what other people had told you. Now that I've covered whine, let's get to insight. The show was unusual in that it was an American production that portayed Americans in a rather (undeserved) poor light. It also had a stereotypical Russian leggy blonde who simply HAD to have supressed feelings for the aforementioned Yank.

Mantis, nice set of "polluting elements."

Are you sure you're thinking of the right show? Wheeler wasn't *remotely* overweight.

And anybody traumatized because there's an evil mutant villain with porcine features really needs a reality check.

I might as well flesh out my suggestion a little. First, make the five "toximentals" of similar appearance - say, animated earth in a humanoid shape, an Earth Golem if you will, with surface veins of the respective pollutants. This common appearance will enable the characters to make the obvious connection between the events quickly.

As for the powers of specific Golems:

1. Acid - RKA or HKA or NND attack, plus Damage Shield. A no-range AoE NND attack from the noxious fumes it emits. Susceptible/Vulnerable to water. You may need to bone up on your chemistry so that attacks with base substances also have increased effect.

2. Lead - a brick, with Density Increase, KB resistance, and Damage reduction vs physical attacks to reflect the soft nature of lead (deforms instead of breaks). Can also go Desolid to reflect the fact that most lead pollution is airborne.

3. Mercury - Metamorphosis (think T1000 from Terminator 2 movie). Also a no-range AoE NND attack from its surrounding cloud of Mercury vapor, which is highly toxic and causes delusions amongst other medical problems (Mercury was once used in the manufacture of felt hats, prolonged exposure to the fumes often caused mental health problems for the hatters - hence the expression "mad as a hatter").

4. Oil - Well, the obvious power is an oil slick, making it resistant to Grabs, tripping over ground-based heroes, or making flying heros fall from the sky. Crude oil contains sulfur, so it could have an AoE NND from a sulfurous cloud. Note that crude oil doesn't burn, so fire isn't the solution to taking this golem down! Nor, obviously, is water, but detergent will work well.

5. Radioactive material - NND EBs. Heat-based damage shield.