Gurps Space 4th edition

shadowcat1313

Re: Gurps Space 4th edition

very cool, I hadnt realized he had worked on 3rd edition

I really hope they decide to go with the modular spacecraft design system that started with GURPS Traveller, instead of whats in GURPS Vehicles... I hate the GV design system.. I never liked it or the system in Robots, which were both done by the same guy IIRC

the modular design system in GT made vehicle design for GURPS actually worth doing

There's already starship construction rules in GURPS Vehicles - do they intend to reprint them under the Traveller brand, or have you heard if they will use the modular system?

Just curious - personally, I love GURPS Vehicles and Robots. I love that sort of super-finicky fine-tuning, though. Great from a PC standpoint, nightmarishly time-comsuming for a GM. The beefs I do have with them are certain inherent prejudices and assumptions that the author carries over through both books, eg. "multilegged robots are always less maneuverable than 2-legged ones." It'd be nice to be able to muck with some of those assumptions, like with certain other universal systems we all know and love.

Guest Schwarzwald

I have gurps space, and there's no ship design, nor is there one single solitary piece of equipment listed in stat terms. Not one weapon, not one ship, not one scientific instrument, nothing.

It's well written and I like it generally, even tho I'm going quite sour on SJG.

With gurps 4e the secret seems to be using hardbacks, color art and slick paper to drive up the cost and put less pages in, then make people buy more books to play the game. "Ka Ching!" for SJG, "Sku Rood!" for the customers.

An interesting thing in gurps space 4e is that it mentions islamic extremists as potential enemies early in the book. Do that on the sjg forums and you get a thread lock, a post delete and possibly banned.

Guest Schwarzwald

There's already starship construction rules in GURPS Vehicles - do they intend to reprint them under the Traveller brand, or have you heard if they will use the modular system?

Just curious - personally, I love GURPS Vehicles and Robots. I love that sort of super-finicky fine-tuning, though. Great from a PC standpoint, nightmarishly time-comsuming for a GM. The beefs I do have with them are certain inherent prejudices and assumptions that the author carries over through both books, eg. "multilegged robots are always less maneuverable than 2-legged ones." It'd be nice to be able to muck with some of those assumptions, like with certain other universal systems we all know and love.

Gurps traveller interstellar wars had rules for building and fighting ships in 4e terms, but only a modular system for traveller.

Guest Schwarzwald

In used to think that gurps vehicles was the best rpg supp ever done, and I loved the detail that was so useful to rpg's. I mean, when the players try to put the powerplant from a downed alien vessel into their ship you know, with GV stats, how much the plant weighsm how much it produces and what fuel it takes. Not much guesswork there.

Argh, are you kidding? I have GURPS Space 2nd ed, and there's a ton of rules for space ships.

This reinforces my decision to not move up to the latest GURPS material. Too much of what they are doing seems to devalue the actual product by making you buy (and carry around) more books.

I'm sorry for SJG because I genuinely liked their earlier stuff, but I am not regretting my decision.

Guest Schwarzwald

What does it have?

A massively complex starsystem/world generator, a huge section on creating races ranging from realistic to space opera and notes on creating a society/cvillization.

No stats at all, not even for a single spacesuit.

GURPS Space has updated star system generation rules based on the latest astronomical evidence. That's about it. I will say that it is a nice supplement for Star HERO, but not much else.

As far as vehicles and equipment go, I don't think SJG knows what they are going to with them yet. Besides, I alway liked The Ultimate Vehicle for HERO much better than GURPS Vehicles. YMMV

Guest Schwarzwald

Have they finally figured out how to place multiple stars?

I believe so, they state thay many, if not most, star systems are binary.

Well that's not the question I'm asking. In my old edition of GURPS Space they have a pretty good star system generator but it suffered from not having any dice driven way to determine how the other components of a multiple star system are positioned, how many AUs the satellite stars are out.

Gurps Vehicles and TUV both have good and bad points, my biggest gripe with TUV is there are no real rules for how much space/displacement something takes inside a ship or vehicle... otherwise TUV wins hands down

Champs 2 at least had some rules for component size etc... I mostly just extrapolate and punt on things, or borrow from Traveller

An interesting thing in gurps space 4e is that it mentions islamic extremists as potential enemies early in the book. Do that on the sjg forums and you get a thread lock' date=' a post delete and possibly banned.[/quote']

OT: They really are that sensitive?

I have an older edition of GURPS Space, as well as Star HERO. Think I'll give this one a pass. Besides, it's all but impossible to actually find any copies of GURPS books where I live.

Guest Schwarzwald

OT: They really are that sensitive?

I have an older edition of GURPS Space, as well as Star HERO. Think I'll give this one a pass. Besides, it's all but impossible to actually find any copies of GURPS books where I live.

Basically it's been said openly on the forums there that there are two standards. One for people the mods personally like and one for people they just don't like.

If they like you you can get away with insulting large groups, like democrats, liberals, etc. If they dislike you, one in particular will find an excuse to ban you and delte your posts.

Guest Schwarzwald

Well that's not the question I'm asking. In my old edition of GURPS Space they have a pretty good star system generator but it suffered from not having any dice driven way to determine how the other components of a multiple star system are positioned' date=' how many AUs the satellite stars are out.[/quote']

I think it has a binary/trianary system generator that places companion stars.

Basically it's been said openly on the forums there that there are two standards. One for people the mods personally like and one for people they just don't like.

If they like you you can get away with insulting large groups, like democrats, liberals, etc. If they dislike you, one in particular will find an excuse to ban you and delte your posts.

Yesterday, I went over and started reading their boards for more info on missing technology in Space and Interstellar Wars, plus some info on Bio-Tech and read such things unfold. I was stunned and amazed. One guy had some ideas for a small subsector colonized by Americans and besides a couple of supoortive people other openly mocked him and the US. It made me so sick how one-sided the mods were that I regretted buying Space and ISW. I also decided not to even bother with Bio-Tech. A company built on ideas that should so shun its own customers doesn't deserve to be in business.