Archimago

Twilight

Re: Archimago

I loved the character, especially his complex history. As far as "archlichs" go, he's much more interesting to me than Takofanes.

I considered using Archimago for my current campaign instead of Tak, but the latter had some CU historical ties that I wanted to play with, so I ended up going with the Ravager of Men instead. If I were to bring back Archimago in a future campaign (tempting), I'd probably graft the bulk of Takofanes' character sheet onto him, at least for his final appearances.

I used his 4E incarnation pretty much as suggested in Creatures of the Night - attempting to provoke universal Armageddon. :eek: If I were to run the character again I'd likely start earlier in his career, before his death and resurrection.

I liked his 4th Edition write up myself, though I was somewhat unfond of his copious soul selling if only because it limits options when using him at this point in his career. He has to go for Universal Armageddon or else he's screwed royally. Me I'd probably make him more mysterious, with his official history being only one of the stories told about him.

I had thought about him not really being dead but trapped somehow and only able to interact with the world via astral form [thus causing folks to think he's a ghost] and via people he controls through his staff [a plotline mentioned in his 4th Edition write up as I recall]. The heroes should never be quite sure just what he's up to, only knowing that it's something truly nasty. He'd be somewhat like an evil version of DC's Shazam.

Thoughts? Comments?

Guest WhammeWhamme

He is an awesome villain. Given that he has to repay all his debts, starting with the oldest, the fact that he needs to end the multiverse when all is said and done doesn't matter too much...

If I ever DO run a full blown supers game in a world I get to design/choose again he is one of those guys I will include if I remember.

I agree about it being more interesting if he isn't quite fully 'there' yet - of course, uber mystic villains offer a lot of possibilities for exploring what could have been. Hrm.... tricky.

I have to admit, I'm somewhat torn. His debts DO make him a huge threat whenever he pops up since of course he's essentially trying to end everything after making all that lives beg him to do so to end thier suffering, which he caused.

On the other hand, building him up from scratch would be interesting as well. Taking him up from the Pulp Era and his beginnings with Crowley, up through his Golden Age status as a Nazi villain, then through the Silver and Bronze ages. Of course, if I did that he'd probably end up much different then the official version. He'd be alive for starters. :P

On the other hand' date=' building him up from scratch would be interesting as well. Taking him up from the Pulp Era and his beginnings with Crowley, up through his Golden Age status as a Nazi villain, then through the Silver and Bronze ages. Of course, if I did that he'd probably end up much different then the official version. He'd be alive for starters. :P[/quote']

That's how I'd use him as well, at least weaving his history into the plotlines of the setting. And of course, you could always kill and resurrect him later. :lol:

BTW although Archimago is not alive in the present-day CU, The Mystic World does mention him as a past major threat, so he is a part of the current continuity. IIRC there are still some artifacts of his creation around, and some of his other plots continue to have repercussions.

Yeah I know he's there, I just wish he got more space then what was given to him. He's far more interesting then Takofanes and deserves more attention then he got.

Ah well even if he is dead [or trapped as in my version] he does as you say have lots of stuff about to make himself noticed. I'm sure all players will eventually come to hate the sight of Archimago's Staff. :D

Archimago

I thought he was an idiot.

He suppsedly hates the Redcross Knight and that Princess, and he persuades them into his castle, has them both dosed with potions and sound asleep and at his mercy...he could kill them right then, heck, if he's that diabolical he could imprison both and slowly torture them. But what does he do? Shows each a freaking peepshow illusion of the other having a good time with someone else, then lets them both go, then disguises himself and chases after them...sheesh, the whole Faerie Queene mess has to be one of the silliest things ever passed off as literature...

OH, wait. Are we talking about the same Archimago?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary warns "Don't even get him started about the Lion...."

I would be against bringing him back since a ton of mages did everything possible to see that he couldn't come back. That'd be too much of a screw you to the mystic community.

Of course, since it's your campaign, you could always say that he was never killed or killed in a less permanent way before bindings could be done.

Actually I was thinking they just thought he was dead where as he was merely trapped in an other dimensional prison. Or at least his astral form is, his physical body was destroyed which is why he was belived to be dead. So all that those various mages did to make certain he didn't come back was unsuccessful because he couldn't be kept dead cause he wasn't truely dead.

See like many mages over the years, Archimago was searching for the Hellrock which was used to kill the Archmage back in the day. Unlike those other mages Archimago found it and was doing a ceremony to bring it to him so he could obtain his power. The heart attack he suffered put a major kink in that plan but though his body appeared to die, he was able at the last second to alter the spell and save his life.

Instead of bringing the Hellrock to him, he brought himself to the Hellrock. He even managed to obtain it's power, which he now weilds. The only problem being, he's stuck in the pocket dimension where the Hellrock is.

Disney's Alladin said it best: "Massive cosmic power, itty bitty living space."

He's been trying to escape ever since.

Standing triumphantly before the combined mystic might of the Trismegistus Council, newly crowned Archmage, formerly known as Witchcraft, Robert Caliburn, and others, Archimago revels in his return.

Witchcraft: "But you were destroyed! There was nothing left!"

Archimago: "You fools! I am no mere wizard! I am no imbicile who allows himself to be so easily destroyed! This body I possess is made of the essence of evil itself! And once I've destroyed you lot, I shall combine this form with my original and will be as a GOD!"

Robert Caliburn: "Your original form? It was destroyed. I was there, you're crackers!"

Archimago: "I only wanted you to think that. That form was a simulacrum. I kept my original body safely stored HERE!"

With these words the master of fell magics summons an ornate coffin. It hovers behind him. As he laughs maniacally, it slowly opens.

Archimago looks arrogantly at the fools before him. 'They seem to be in shock by my genius,' he thinks.

Archimagio: "Soon I will fuse the essence of evil with my original body, scpecially treated to be a vessal of arcane power!"

Witchcraft: "Um, yeah, about that..."

she indicates with her eyes and Archimago slowly turns to his coffin.

It floats behind him. Empty. Well, not empty, there is a note that says: "Don't forget the Simulacrum - Archimago"

Archimago: "Oh shi-..."

His voice trails off as his essence of evil dissipates...

I'd like him to possess Donald Trump' date=' just to see if his powers are miraculous enough to fix that hair.[/quote']

Archimago: "Well, he IS a vessel worthy of my evilness that's true but not even MY magic could fix that hair. On the other hand, with a bit of necromancy I'm sure that toupee of his could be turned into a truely fearsome monster."

Standing triumphantly before the combined mystic might of the Trismegistus Council' date=' newly crowned Archmage, formerly known as Witchcraft, Robert Caliburn, and others, Archimago revels in his return.[/i']

Witchcraft: "But you were destroyed! There was nothing left!"

Archimago: "You fools! I am no mere wizard! I am no imbicile who allows himself to be so easily destroyed! This body I possess is made of the essence of evil itself! And once I've destroyed you lot, I shall combine this form with my original and will be as a GOD!"

Robert Caliburn: "Your original form? It was destroyed. I was there, you're crackers!"

Archimago: "I only wanted you to think that. That form was a simulacrum. I kept my original body safely stored HERE!"

With these words the master of fell magics summons an ornate coffin. It hovers behind him. As he laughs maniacally, it slowly opens.

Archimago looks arrogantly at the fools before him. 'They seem to be in shock by my genius,' he thinks.

Archimagio: "Soon I will fuse the essence of evil with my original body, scpecially treated to be a vessal of arcane power!"

Witchcraft: "Um, yeah, about that..."

she indicates with her eyes and Archimago slowly turns to his coffin.

It floats behind him. Empty. Well, not empty, there is a note that says: "Don't forget the Simulacrum - Archimago"

Archimago: "Oh shi-..."

His voice trails off as his essence of evil dissipates...

Hilarious and repped.