What I learn playing a GM.

LordGhee

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What I learn playing a GM.

This assumes everyone in the group knows how every other character SHOULD be role played.

That's an excellent point. It really depends on the mutual agreement and maturity of the players for this to work. The game isn't Survivor and you can't "vote off" a player just because you don't like them. Well, you can still not vote for them for that reason, but it's childish to do so.

I'm going to try this in my game starting with the next session an see how it work and how the playes take to it. I believe I have a group of fair minded and mature players, if not ideal (at least for how I run the game). I don't really believe it will improve my group's role-playing, but it might involve group involvement, rather than individual involvement, in the various scenarios I present them with.

That's an excellent point. It really depends on the mutual agreement and maturity of the players for this to work. The game isn't Survivor and you can't "vote off" a player just because you don't like them. Well, you can still not vote for them for that reason, but it's childish to do so.

I'm going to try this in my game starting with the next session an see how it work and how the playes take to it. I believe I have a group of fair minded and mature players, if not ideal (at least for how I run the game). I don't really believe it will improve my group's role-playing, but it might involve group involvement, rather than individual involvement, in the various scenarios I present them with.

My concern isn't about fair-minded players, although not being fair-minded would also cause a problem. It's largely about the players not having detailed knowledge of how each character should be role played.

This comes from personal bias, of course, but I prefer to learn about the other characters in game, not because the players decide to share information their characters haven't chosen to share. A player shouldn't be telling the group "My character can't tell you that the VIPER agent he's so concerned about is his brother, his DNPC, of whom he is Protective, because that could jeopardize his Secret ID, and anyway he a total commitment 'Secretive' Psych Lim". Yet, if the other players don't know this, they may feel that Captain Power, who has always been played as devoted to the law (perhaps a psych lim already come up numerous times in play) is role playing poorly, when in fact he's completely true to his character.

Sometimes, great role playing is obvious (the Overconfident PC who challenged Firewing to take him on one on one - "unless you're FireChicken!" is a well-remembered example from my campaign). But sometimes great role playing is much less obvious, and may even apear to be poor role playing if you don't have the full back story of the charaxcter involved. The GM does (or should). The other players often don't, and commonly shouldn't.

Analyze Thread Drift

As this topic has completely derailed I will chime in. I have found that awarding XP for the player who does "The Best Job" belittles the other players and lessons their enjoyment of the game. I used this system for years until I noticed that the other players started to feel cheated as the same two players always got the vote. It also often turned into a popularity contest.

I have heard this same point of view repeated by many other players and GM’s. Who wants to play the guy with 30 less XP after a years worth of games? I see that most player try to role-play as well as they can and devaluing their contributions is cruel in a way. I would not penalize the skinny kid at the table for not being able to fight well while playing a fighter so why would I penalize a person with lower charisma or intelligence for not being able to play high PRE, INT or Assertive Ability.

I have even seen it go so far as the guy with the assertive personality type gets the bonus even though he is out of character. Because even his farmer rouge with a PRE 8 will be at ease in the presence of the king and assertive. It is often the same players who want to “Role-Play†their social skills because other wise they are just “Roll-Playingâ€.

We have all seen extensive threads on the argument between roll and role play social skills and as a GM I find it very unfair to the shy guy at the table (here’s to you Riordan) when he wants to play a Social master but he still gets put on the back burner by the assertive player (and to you James).

It seems there are some definate and well thought out criticisms for the vote for best role-playing idea. I can think of just as many pros though. The best I can offer is the keystone of all role-playing games. If a rule isn't working or detracts from the fun of the game, don't use it. In any case, I still plan on trying this out to see how it works and I'll report back on how well it works or doesn't work.

Oh' date=' and what I've learned so far? It's HARD, being on the other side of the table. It looks so freakin' easy, as a player . . .[/quote']

HA! Corollary: the players never fully appreciate all the work you've put in (but seeing the players enjoy the adventure usually makes up for it). ;)

Awarding an extra point of XP each game to the player voted 'best roleplayer' increases the likelyhood of better roleplaying.

I usually award the same amount of XP to everyone, most commonly varying only if a player actually misses a lot of the roleplaying (comes in very late, leaves early, etc.). I will increase the group XP amount if I feel there was good roleplaying involved by any player. If a player does something pretty lame I might dock a point for that player. I might award an extra point to a player if I think they did something really outstanding (GREAT idea or REALLY inspiring roleplaying of any sort) or if another player speaks up and suggests it and the rest of the players (and I) generally concur.

Well I have to say it has always worked for me and my games.

Some points: If Captian LovestheCops isn't playing along with them because his DNPC brother is a Viper agent, then we should see that struggle in his character. I don't need to know his entire backstory to understand that there's a struggle there and award him for portraying it in a manner that is believable and enjoyable. It's not about any other players knowing how the character should be played, it's seeing the player roleplay the character to the best of his/her ability.

Yes there have been cases where the players didn't see a fantastic bit of acting that I as the GM did catch, mostly due to my knowledge of the character's backstory. In cases such as that, I have sometimes awarded an extra pip to that character, citing it in front of the group. This brings attention to that character and gets the other players watching for that bit, and what it means.

Again a common misuse and misconception of this topic is the 'popularity contest' or 'assertive player' contest. Get it out of your head right now that that is what this is all about. It is partially your responsibility as GM to promote better roleplaying in all players. This means casting your vote for the person you thought played his character the best - you, as GM have a vote [sometimes I would even give my vote more weight depending on the number of players involved] - and you DO know the character's backstories.

As for the 'assertive guy playing the Pre 8 Rogue' story- I would be stopping that during the game. If he's not playing in character then he's definately not doing his job, and that should be stopped as it's happening. Failure to do so shows irresponsibility on the part of the GM. Eventually your players will be able to see it with a critical eye as well, and call themselves on it.

So of course, if it doesn't work for you, don't use it. But don't get stuck not using it just because you are biased against it.

A view, no matter how correct, unless challenged, will become prejudice. - John Stewart Mill I believe...

Well I have to say it has always worked for me and my games.

Some points: If Captian LovestheCops isn't playing along with them because his DNPC brother is a Viper agent, then we should see that struggle in his character. I don't need to know his entire backstory to understand that there's a struggle there and award him for portraying it in a manner that is believable and enjoyable. It's not about any other players knowing how the character should be played, it's seeing the player roleplay the character to the best of his/her ability.

It is very much a matter of taste. However, to me, your example comes back to one of two choices. Either the GM explains why that was great role playing, so he's revealing the character's unknowns, or the GM ends up saying "Look, you guys have no way of knowing why, but Ted's role playing was actually really good, so he gets the bonus point" and overriding the theory of a vote.

If your group likes the "open character sheet/open back story" approach, a vote would work much better, since everyone is aware of all the factors influencing the role playing. I'm not a fan of a "full disclosre" requirement for PC's, but rather a policy where each PC discloses what he/she wishes, in character (ie role playing what the PC would or would not see fit to disclose). Anything else may come up in play, or may be revealed by the PC should his attitudes change (eg. he comes to trust the other PC's; it becomes inportant that this be shared; etc.). Game play may also cause it to come up ("I didn't know you spoke Japanese." "You never asked.")

It is very much a matter of taste. However, to me, your example comes back to one of two choices. Either the GM explains why that was great role playing, so he's revealing the character's unknowns, or the GM ends up saying "Look, you guys have no way of knowing why, but Ted's role playing was actually really good, so he gets the bonus point" and overriding the theory of a vote.

If your group likes the "open character sheet/open back story" approach, a vote would work much better, since everyone is aware of all the factors influencing the role playing. I'm not a fan of a "full disclosre" requirement for PC's, but rather a policy where each PC discloses what he/she wishes, in character (ie role playing what the PC would or would not see fit to disclose). Anything else may come up in play, or may be revealed by the PC should his attitudes change (eg. he comes to trust the other PC's; it becomes inportant that this be shared; etc.). Game play may also cause it to come up ("I didn't know you spoke Japanese." "You never asked.")

If you read further into my post, you'll see a third option; I stated that I would give out an extra pip to that person, meaning above and beyond the vote. I would do that after the vote due to the fact that that player may get the vote anyhow; but even if that player does, I make sure to point out the moment that I thought was the best.

It may not be perfect, but it gets the job done of rewarding great roleplaying and allows the player to reveal bits of the character's backstory when they see fit. Of course, as a good GM it's in your job description to have senarios that highlight the character's backstories as well.

I have never once asked for a full disclosure requirement, nor would I. Some of the best roleplaying is in the discovery of other character's backstories, and the revealing of your own.

• 2 weeks later...

I find "good roleplaying" has a tendency to be interpreted as "most extroverted character played". SpiderMan is visible. A more introverted character is not as obvious in role playing' date=' and easily overlooked.[/quote']

This is what I like about requiring the players to figure out how their characters think to learn and use powers; the players who can act may look good on the outside, but it's good for nothing else if they can't perceive the personality and cognitive aspects of another person well enough to describe how that person's mind works.

It is very much a matter of taste. However' date=' to me, your example comes back to one of two choices. Either the GM explains why that was great role playing, so he's revealing the character's unknowns, or the GM ends up saying "Look, you guys have no way of knowing why, but Ted's role playing was actually really good, so he gets the bonus point" and overriding the theory of a vote.[/quote']

I go away for a few weeks and the forums still won't let me give you Rep!

Characters who are "unpredictable" by nature, should never be consistent in how they're played.

1) "The play is the thing."-Shakespeare. The drama and interaction between people all intent on making a good *story*....not who has the most points or highest killing attack or trying to look the coolest....the "play" as it were, is the most magical things I have been a part of....

2) Three strike rule:When it is the luck of the die leading to a characters serious injury or death, always give the players two more rolls to pull their fat out of the fire . When it is their own stupidity though, God hath no mercy.

3) A game that is upsetting you in real life is no longer a past-time, its a nueroses. Stop playing and pull your head out. Get out with your game buddies and throw a frisbee or go to the movies and take some time off. Remember you are all freinds and you got together for a reason. You are freinds.

4) As a GM, you are a host, of sorts, to the party of your friends. Your obligation is to entertained and be entertained by them in return. You have the final say in matters but ensure everyone is participating and enjoying themselves.

5) Think like the Devil, act like a benevolent God.

2) Three strike rule:When it is the luck of the die leading to a characters serious injury or death, always give the players two more rolls to pull their fat out of the fire . When it is their own stupidity though, God hath no mercy.

Never kill a character when it's more fun to make them suffer, or to give them the opportunity for a dramatic escape (or for their friends to stage a dramatic rescue).

"It's character development!"

"Yes, we're developing your character....now, after the Omega Blast from Dr. Destructovitch, your character has had sporadic uncontrollable bowel movements and must wear Depends undergarments...the upside? You're now their NATIONAL SPOKESPERSON!"

This is one of the best threads. I am reading through every post. I needs to be a sticky. Or and edited version be included in the rules book

Somebody'll copy it all down and make a web page out of it at some point. If not, then I will just as soon as I can aford my own site.