[Online Game]New 'Marvel: Next Generation' game

Snake Gandhi

Re: [Online Game]New 'Marvel: Next Generation' game

IIRC' date=' per Kolbrandr's origin, the original Wrecking Crew is still around and active. With Asgard destroyed, their power seems to now come from the Egyptian god Seth. It hasn't featured in-game yet, so perhaps there's the possibility of changing around if needed (like for Journeyman). Of course, playing the heroic child of an active supervillain certainly has RP possibilities. [/quote']Hmmm, almost forgot about that. Still, thats not to difficult to write around.

When the Wrecker's powers faded away, he got real depressed. Depressed enough to hook up with this stupid broad for a while. He spent his days drinking and trying to get the damn crowbar to work. After a couple months he said 'Screw this", tossed the crowbar down, ditched the broad, and went to find him some new power. That lead him to Seth and off he goes.

In the meantime, the girl, a shy little thing, never even got the chance to tell Dirk she was pregnant. But she wasn't really sorry to see him go, as he was nothing but a worthless bully. She kept the crowbar as sort of a reminder. Years pass, and one day her child is looking through the garage and finds this thing wrapped in a towel. It's a freaking crowbar. Wondering what the hell a crowbar is doing wrapped up in a box of old stuff, they pick it up and wham, they get a rush of power. When the kid rips the basement door of its hinges, he quickly finds Mom and asks about the thing. She reluctantly fills him in on the parts of the father she kinda left out.

I think that would work, plus you get a ready made Hunted in Wrecker, who when he finds out that the power works for his kid is gonna be pissed. He'll of course figure that the kid stole his powers somehow, and he wants them the hell back. (the fact that the child wasn't born yet when his powers left naturally won't factor in to Dirk's hatred.)

Man, I'm supposed to be running this game, I really need to stop thinking up character ideas.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also in that vien how about Namor? He has a child' date=' who after hearing for years how wrong and stupid the surface dwellars are, goes and see for themselves and learns "hey, they ain't so bad." Plus, since Namor is so long lived he wouldn't be much different, and having him show up ocassionally for some family arguments would be funny.[/quote']

That's be cool, but he'd have a really nasty half-brother named LLYRON: http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/llyronnamor.htm

As was said earlier, redemption could be wicked insane fun to play, if you're into angst, complication and misunderstanding...oh, but you're reading a Marvel game thread, so you probably are into all that, at least a little!

Just drawing on a few of my favorite X-Men issues from back in the early to mid-1980s:

Nocturne/Doppelganger/Suspicion/Rumor -- Legacy child of Mystique. She's another character with an inhuman-appearing base form. She can shapeshift minds; one touch, and she can copy your mind completely enough to know all your secrets. Is Kurt Wagner (Nightcrawler) her sibling? Her sire? No relation at all?

Treason/Hope/Vengeance -- Legacy child of the X-Men in the "Magik" mini-series, which was really Iliyana Rasputin's origin story. The character is a child of the one or two of the debased and twisted X-Men of that reality, raised by one of the few remaining heroes in that realm, growing up in the surrealistic horror and evil of Belasco's magical realm...until one day, he/she escapes to the Marvel mainstream universe! A demon-hunter and paladin, with bizarre, unsettling (if not outright tainted) magical powers.

Wildeblood/Stormheart/Nightstorm -- Legacy child of Storm of the X-Men and Dracula...yes, that Dracula. In canon, the Lord of Vampires was long infatuated with Ororo Munroe...this character is their child, a storm-riding dhampir, half-alive, half-mutant, possessed of powers from both parents and always fighting against the father's blood-hunger.

Oh, this is fun.

One minor nitpick Supreme Serpent; It's not the original Hyde. Cinnibar talked to him as if he was and he called the originator of the formula a fool and incapable of handleing the unbridaled power of Hyde...

-an Avid reader.

As was said earlier' date=' redemption could be wicked insane fun to play, if you're into angst, complication and misunderstanding...oh, but you're reading a [i']Marvel[/i] game thread, so you probably are into all that, at least a little!

Just drawing on a few of my favorite X-Men issues from back in the early to mid-1980s:

Nocturne/Doppelganger/Suspicion/Rumor -- Legacy child of Mystique. She's another character with an inhuman-appearing base form. She can shapeshift minds; one touch, and she can copy your mind completely enough to know all your secrets. Is Kurt Wagner (Nightcrawler) her sibling? Her sire? No relation at all?

Treason/Hope/Vengeance -- Legacy child of the X-Men in the "Magik" mini-series, which was really Iliyana Rasputin's origin story. The character is a child of the one or two of the debased and twisted X-Men of that reality, raised by one of the few remaining heroes in that realm, growing up in the surrealistic horror and evil of Belasco's magical realm...until one day, he/she escapes to the Marvel mainstream universe! A demon-hunter and paladin, with bizarre, unsettling (if not outright tainted) magical powers.

Wildeblood/Stormheart/Nightstorm -- Legacy child of Storm of the X-Men and Dracula...yes, that Dracula. In canon, the Lord of Vampires was long infatuated with Ororo Munroe...this character is their child, a storm-riding dhampir, half-alive, half-mutant, possessed of powers from both parents and always fighting against the father's blood-hunger.

Oh, this is fun.

I totally agree!

But remember, it's contrast that makes those negative attributes shine. Every angst-ridden hero on the road to redemption needs a do-gooder counterpart.

Jean Gray, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Beast, Iceman, Storm and others... were all well centered, true heroes. If they weren't inherently good people their tragedies wouldn't be so dramatic. A team absolutely full of angst isn't much fun. But a few heroes working hand-in-hand with others in hopes of redemption makes for good cinema. In my opinion, a team with many varied personalities is the watermark to shoot for. (That's not to say that things can't change and roles couldn't be reversed so that everyone gets a chance to be morose. ;) )

One minor nitpick Supreme Serpent; It's not the original Hyde. Cinnibar talked to him as if he was and he called the originator of the formula a fool and incapable of handleing the unbridaled power of Hyde...

-an Avid reader.

Hmm, could be. I was assuming it was just split personality from formula overdose. I'll edit it to "unsure" above.

Since someone asked, I'll clarify one point.

I'm willing to accept character ideas from anyone, including the folks who are already playing in the Avenger: Next Gen game should they want to play a character in this one. Keyes_bill, that games GM, is also more than welcome to submit ideas.

However, in the interests of fairness, folks who didn't make it into that game, or folks applying for the first time, will get first crack at the slots.

Though so far Enorcer84 and GoldenAge seems to be the only interested parties not already playing in that game, so the point may be moot.

-an Avid reader.

Wow, another person who's really paying attention. E84 gets a no-prize! :thumbup:

And it appears that the Thundebolts and the Defenders are the two most popular choices judging by responses in both threads and in PM's.

Thunderbolts would be on the same scale as the Avengers team. 7 players, 450 + 150 disads characters. They wont be buying any Package, and they sure wont have al the fancy SHIELD help. Base and equipment will be whatever the players decide to spend point on, though I think something not so fancy would fit best. The theme would mainly be about redemption, and being a hero when you're not expected to be. Mostly 4 color in a modern way, with some action, some angst, and some fun in equal amounts.

The Defenders, that I'd limit to 4 or 5 players, with characters running 900 + 150 disads. The Defenders are re-goddamn-diculously poweful, and the team should reflect that. Not a lot of time spent fighting your average supervillians, and there will be times when you flat outclass the folks your facing. Moments like the Rhino attacking Silver Surfer to no avail will happen occasionally, as if your enormously powerful you should get to enjoy it sometimes. But on the other hand, this is the team thats on the front line when folks like Mephisto, Thanos, and Galactus show up.

Since someone asked, I'll clarify one point.

I'm willing to accept character ideas from anyone, including the folks who are already playing in the Avenger: Next Gen game should they want to play a character in this one. Keyes_bill, that games GM, is also more than welcome to submit ideas.

However, in the interests of fairness, folks who didn't make it into that game, or folks applying for the first time, will get first crack at the slots.

Though so far Enorcer84 and GoldenAge seems to be the only interested parties not already playing in that game, so the point may be moot.

Huh. I was assuming, especially due to crossover potential, that it would be different players.

Perhaps directly contact some of the previously interested parties, like McCoy, RadioKAOS etc? Cross-posting to the Player Finder forum here and the General Messages on HC might also get some more eyes.

But...if it goes for awhile without enough other interest, I might see what I can come up with...hmmm...

Here's one that has his parents already picked...

The child of the Absorbing Man and Titania.

If you use Sky High rules, he would be a high-end brick with the Absorbing Man's powers and possibly an inherited magic ball and chain.

[edit]

If it were for a lower powered campaign, I would still make him a brick but only have the ball and chain have the Absorbing Man's powers.

Have him take some inspiration from Spider-Man (or Spider-Woman' date=' etc) and call him [i']Daddy Long Legs[/i]. :P

Matthew Day sighed, exasperated.

"I swear, you people are just as bad as my father. Here he is, an unqualified genius - takes what amounts to a glorified piledriver, and turns it into a bona fide suit of battle armor that..." He began to tick off his points on the fingers of one hand. "...gave him the strength of fifteen men. Let him shrug off anything short of bazooka fire. Release sleep gas. Have unearthly balance. Concentrate tons of force onto an area the size of a dinner plate.

"But, no. He invents a masterwork of hydraulics and no one, including him, sees past "Hey, I bet I can look in peoples' windows," or "Hey, look at how big steps I can take," or "I just made the world's first twenty-five million dollar pair of stilts."

He sighed again, with resignation this time.

"Yes, I'll help you wash the windows. Let me go get my legs on."

Matthew Day sighed' date=' exasperated.[/i']

"I swear, you people are just as bad as my father. Here he is, an unqualified genius - takes what amounts to a glorified piledriver, and turns it into a bona fide suit of battle armor that..." He began to tick off his points on the fingers of one hand. "...gave him the strength of fifteen men. Let him shrug off anything short of bazooka fire. Release sleep gas. Have unearthly balance. Concentrate tons of force onto an area the size of a dinner plate.

"But, no. He invents a masterwork of hydraulics and no one, including him, sees past "Hey, I bet I can look in peoples' windows," or "Hey, look at how big steps I can take," or "I just made the world's first twenty-five million dollar pair of stilts."

He sighed again, with resignation this time.

"Yes, I'll help you wash the windows. Let me go get my legs on."

:D :D :D:thumbup:

I'd rep you again if I could.

Sorry. I saw your posts about how you'ed like a Golden Age legacy game' date=' and the Stilt Man comment I took as a joke.:o[/quote']

Well, had I my druthers, I'd rather see a GA legacy game, but you take the opportunities you can. And I really do have some notes from an earlier "What If Someone Had The Stilt-Man Armor & Could Get Past The Stilt Part?" character concept. But as you say, there's lots of villains that could be used as source material...

Well' date=' had I my druthers, I'd rather see a GA legacy game, but you take the opportunities you can. And I really do have some notes from an earlier "What If Someone Had The Stilt-Man Armor & Could Get Past The Stilt Part?" character concept. But as you say, there's lots of villains that could be used as source material...[/quote']Hey if you wanna go with Stilt-Man, go for it.

I'd think making Stilt-Man cool would be some accomplishment.:)

I'm an old-school Marvelophile myself, so this sounds like it could be a good time. That said...

How many spots are still open, how welcome would a relative Champions noob be (I've played in a few on-line games at Hero Central, and don't seem to have screwed up too bad yet, but I'm no expert or old hand), and where/how does a game like this get played?

Oh, and what points total would we be looking at (I can't seem to find that anywhere) for creation?

I'm an old-school Marvelophile myself, so this sounds like it could be a good time. That said...

How many spots are still open, how welcome would a relative Champions noob be (I've played in a few on-line games at Hero Central, and don't seem to have screwed up too bad yet, but I'm no expert or old hand), and where/how does a game like this get played?

Oh, and what points total would we be looking at (I can't seem to find that anywhere) for creation?

Post #34 for points info.

The Avengers group (also 450+150) is I think mostly around 75ap in attacks, for comparison purposes. (some a bit higher, some a bit lower)

Sounds like it would be on Hero Central too, the better to pair up with existing game.

You're more than welcome to join.

The game will be played on Hero Central, so you're good there. :)

As for spots, we are still deciding whether to make it a Thunderbolts game or a Defenders game, though from the sounds of things I'm gonna go ahead and call it a Thunderbolts game, as that seems to have the most support going by posts and PM's.

Characters will be 450 base with 150 disads, for 600 total. Only requirement is that you have a connection to a previous Marvel villian. Other than that the backstory is pretty open with the exception of whats already been set in other folks backgrounds. For example, say you want to be Norman Osborne the 3rd. You would pretty much decide what happened to Norman and Harry and the rest. However, since in the other game we have an heir of Spider-Man, Spider-Man's history has already been written. (Though some 'retconning' is allowable if it makes for some good drama :) )

Also, i went ahead and edited the first post to show that a desicion has been reached.