[KillerShrike.com] Fantasy Update

Killer Shrike

Finally got around to altering the Race Package pages on my site to fit the newer HTML layout model I implemented for the Profession Packages, oh about six or more months ago.

Better late than never right?

They're all linked to from here at the top of the page for now:

http://www.killershrike.com/whatsnew.htm

and of course off of the main portal page for Fantasy HERO as well:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHero/FantasyHERO.shtml?HOME=HOME

Re: KillerShrike.com Fantasy Update

Very nice! I love your site, especially the section with all the spells. Since we're on the subject though, I figured I would bring this up:

Upon doing a forum search for something fantasy-related (I really don't remember what the exact search was for) I stumbled upon a thread where you posted a link to your website which contained a butt-load of spells of your creation. I was very impressed not only by the amount of spells, but by how you managed to create tons of useful, low AP cost spells (something that Fantasy Grimoire unfortunately did not do).

I was suprised that this section of your site existed, because I have been on your website many times before and never found it. So I decided to start from the main page and try to find the links that would lead me to this section with all the spells. I could not find the link that would bring me there, so I had to find the link from your post from my forum search and save it to be able to access it. This was the link I saved:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/Content/Powers/Spells/Spells.asp?Type=Arcane&Subtype=Wizardry&Category=Necromancy

Can you tell me how to access it from your main web page? It's just purely to satisfy my curiosity that I ask this. Where is/are the link(s) that bring me to this area of your site?

Thanks.

They can be modified to work with some other Magic Systems without too much trouble of course, but all of those spells are designed to be used with the various "Vancian" magic systems.

Thus the link for them is the "Vancian Magic Spells" link on the main fantasy content page, under the "Original Content" header

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHero/FantasyHERO.shtml

which takes you to this page:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHero/spellLinks.shtml

Likewise, I think you site is great and I love the racial and professional packages. What I think would be great is to have it in PDF format. Have you considered doing so and selling it? I am surprised you and Hero Games haven't worked some relationship out by now.

I'm just a fan of the game; I've never even met any of DOJ. As Derek H. says:

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of Hero Games. Any comments I make about rules issues, company direction, etc. are just the comments of another slightly crazed fan.

As far as PDFs are concerned, Heirax went so far as to give me a copy of Adobe Acrobat in an attempt to make that happen (thanx Jay!), and I do use it occassionally, but the sheer number of pages involved and the volatility of the content as I make frequent tweaks / updates / improvements means that managing pdfs adds another layer of overhead.

It goes like this: I work anywhere between 45 to 80 hours a week, have a wife, and occasionally still pretend to have a social life. Plus I run a game as well which requires a certain amount of prep time. That means that most of the time I spend doing content for the site comes out of my sleep time. So, taking that into account I can either spend that time writing new content, or acting as an editor, or filling the role of a web developer, or doing artwork.

I prefer to spend the time working on content, and thus the site is neither as advanced as I could make it (I am an actual web developer in RL and make high end internet based business software), as well edited (Im not the greatest speller in the world), or as pretty (my art skills are highly atrophied).

If someone wanted to volunteer to be my editor / artist / pdf monkey for free then I'd certainly accept but otherwise I dont expect that things will change in that direction ;)

Thanks.

They can be modified to work with some other Magic Systems without too much trouble of course, but all of those spells are designed to be used with the various "Vancian" magic systems.

Thus the link for them is the "Vancian Magic Spells" link on the main fantasy content page, under the "Original Content" header

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHero/FantasyHERO.shtml

which takes you to this page:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHero/spellLinks.shtml

Ah hah! Thanks :D

If someone wanted to volunteer to be my editor / artist / pdf monkey for free then I'd certainly accept but otherwise I dont expect that things will change in that direction ;)

This may be doable in PHP, actually.

I've done similar for the Warpspawn website - a "frontend" for Lloyd's angelfire website. What it does is - cuts out the ads that are spread throughout the site (because it is hosted on angelfire), finds any card listing and creates a printable deck of cards to play the games. It does this as both HTML and PDF.

There's a class for PHP that allows the creation of PDF files. It's often used in Content Management Systems (such as joomla et al).

Rather than change your entire site, it could be accessed through a frontend PHP script that dynamically change all links to also use the parser, and offer the option to convert the current page to PDF, which the reader could then download.

I've not yet written a script that could do an entire website as a single document, however.

Modified the way the Profession Packages for Fantasy HERO are set up on the site.

I created a simple little asp page to act as a hub for the various Profession Package include files to allow more centralized management for my own purposes (will make some other things Im planning easier).

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/Content/PackageDeals/professionPackage.asp

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/Content/PackageDeals/professionPackage.asp?profession=masterlist

I will try to see how it works in Word.

Im kind of wondering what is wrong w/ the HTML pages as they are presented?

However, if youve an absolute hard on for PDFs you could check out eDocPrinter PDF Pro, a cheap distiller that works pretty well:

http://www.iteksoft.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=1&page=1&POSTNUKESID=4c00bee1f56b4bcf4125b17bc9f15611

It just works like a printer so you print docs / web pages / whatever to the eDocPrinter and it spits out a PDF. Its easy and it works pretty well; we use it at work.

I was very impressed not only by the amount of spells' date=' but by how you managed to create tons of useful, low AP cost spells (something that Fantasy Grimoire unfortunately did not do).[/quote']

I'm not familiar with KillerShrike's list, but both of the FH Grimoires have 'dial down' options for most (if not all) of the spells listed. After each spell there are different options including an 'Apprentice Level' which may suit your needs.

...again, though, I haven't looked at KillerShrike's list.

Honestly what I want is an easy way to get a list of all the spells without having to visit the site. Someday I might actually be able to run DnDHERO, and might need a lappy to lug the stuff around with. Anyways, still love the site, and am glad you've gotten back to the fantasy section again. :thumbup:

Honestly what I want is an easy way to get a list of all the spells without having to visit the site. Someday I might actually be able to run DnDHERO' date=' and might need a lappy to lug the stuff around with. Anyways, still love the site, and am glad you've gotten back to the fantasy section again. :thumbup:[/quote']

Hmm...well, the site supports a "Export to CSV" option on the spell list...you could dump the spell list to csv, open it w/ Excel and viola you have a spreadsheet.

There is a link at the top that says "Export CSV For Current Spell List (Note: the hex symbol (") replaced with "hx")"

At any rate the assumption Ive made is that spell lists are useful during character design when Spells are added to character sheets; thereafter the information needed at run time is encapsulated in the character sheets of the characters that have those spells.

Is this not how most people use spell lists?

Heh, this question reminds me of the Rolemaster game I'm playing in. It's set in middle earth in the fourth age and we are all Gandalf (power) level characters. My character has so many spells now days that I generally just tell the GM what spell effect I want and he usually just lets it go at that.

I'm trying to convince him to convert to Hero as we'd make great Champions level characters in a "normal" fantasy world. It's dificult though, I have to admit as he's computer illiterate (!!!) and as a collective we have about every single Rolemaster (original) book and MERP module. This would take a big chunk of time to convert...

Hmmmm maybe I should buy him the collecters edition of 5ER for his birthday!!! :)

Well, this is spoken from ignorance, but I doubt Rolemaster could be so very difficult to convert. In fact, Id be surprised if someone hasnt already done it. Lord Liaden, Curufea, or the QuestionMan would be good sources to find out, they are handy men to know when it comes to link lists ;)

Dear Lord, man. Your site has proven to be an invaluable resource for me. Every time I hit a mental block working on my world, your site is the first place I go. I especially love the Var Clans and have pretty much "borrowed" them with some changes to suit my needs.

Absolutely great stuff. Keep it up so I have less work to do.

Thanx a million for sharing. It's greatly appreciated.

Dear Lord, man. Your site has proven to be an invaluable resource for me. Every time I hit a mental block working on my world, your site is the first place I go. I especially love the Var Clans and have pretty much "borrowed" them with some changes to suit my needs.

Absolutely great stuff. Keep it up so I have less work to do.

Thanx a million for sharing. It's greatly appreciated.

Well thanks; I hope the new format and content included for the Var proved to be an improvement over the original :)

http://www.killershrike.com/SanDora/SanDoraInhabitants_Var_Var.shtml

This reminds me, you wanted to host the Spells of Faerun stuff. I have it in a bunch of Word docs, with all of the copywritten material from the WotC website (basically, my versions for my own games). How do you want them?

This reminds me' date=' you wanted to host the Spells of Faerun stuff. I have it in a bunch of Word docs, with all of the copywritten material from the WotC website (basically, [i']my [/i]versions for my own games). How do you want them?

I dunno about KS, but I'll take 'em as Word docs. :D

Hmm...well, the site supports a "Export to CSV" option on the spell list...you could dump the spell list to csv, open it w/ Excel and viola you have a spreadsheet.

There is a link at the top that says "Export CSV For Current Spell List (Note: the hex symbol (") replaced with "hx")"

At any rate the assumption Ive made is that spell lists are useful during character design when Spells are added to character sheets; thereafter the information needed at run time is encapsulated in the character sheets of the characters that have those spells.

Ahem... didn't know what CSV meant, and didn't know I was supposed to open it in Excel (I don't have much experience with Excel :o ) That would of course explain why it was nearly undreadable for me. Thank you very much, that helps quite a bit! :D

And on the front of what we always did with spells... umm... I think when I played dnd there were at least three players handbooks about... so we just wrote down what spells we had and then looked them up in the book if we couldn't remember what they did (the clerics are fun though, keeping track of all the spells they could cast... especially since you could just switch to a healing spell anyways instead of preparing mostly healing spells... :ugly: )

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I tried reformatting the Dwarf and Elven stuff into MS Word. I put it into two column mode. I did make two big changes. The first was to put the basic racial stuff at the beginning and I only listed the differences for the various sub-races. Secondly, I did modify some of the write-ups.

I could not get the formatting exact. MS Word can make me so crazy.

I want to be able to put the most information in the least amount of space and still be usable.

Let me know what you think.

Im still not understanding the desire for a columned output. The idea with package deals is its easier to have them be in a format whereby they can be discretely printed, so you can print off just the package you want and no others.

But, if there is a desire for that sort of thing its no big deal from my perspective...its all done with shtml includes so I can lay it out differently if I want....like this for example:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/Content/RacePackageDeals/Dwarf/DwarfAll.shtml

I think they way you have it currently laid out works best for viewing it on the Web. I also think just printing out what you need, makes sense. For me, however, I want to put as much information on a PRINTED PAGE as possible. I also dont want to be printing a bit here and a bit there - I want to print once and be done with it

I am not trying to get you to change your site. I am not trying to get you to change anything. My purpose for putting the Word Document was a test at putting the information in your site into PDF format (or other). For that to be done, I think it is necessary to condense space and duplication.

I am going to repeat myself so there are no misunderstandings (not that I am saying there is any) You are doing a great job and have a great site. I am not critiquing anything you have done. And in no means am I trying to do anything more than to create dialogue to look at putting the wonderful work you have done into a different format. Perhaps I am a bit off, which is possible. In that case I will continue condensing your stuff and be thankful for all that you have done.

I think they way you have it currently laid out works best for viewing it on the Web. I also think just printing out what you need, makes sense. For me, however, I want to put as much information on a PRINTED PAGE as possible. I also dont want to be printing a bit here and a bit there - I want to print once and be done with it

I am not trying to get you to change your site. I am not trying to get you to change anything. My purpose for putting the Word Document was a test at putting the information in your site into PDF format (or other). For that to be done, I think it is necessary to condense space and duplication.

I am going to repeat myself so there are no misunderstandings (not that I am saying there is any) You are doing a great job and have a great site. I am not critiquing anything you have done. And in no means am I trying to do anything more than to create dialogue to look at putting the wonderful work you have done into a different format. Perhaps I am a bit off, which is possible. In that case I will continue condensing your stuff and be thankful for all that you have done.

No worries -- Im not what you would call thin skinned. Im just saying that if there is a need / demand for column aligned packages its not that difficult for me to do it.

Did you check out the eDoc PDF distiller I mentioned? Its cheap and works pretty well and will save you a lot of time....

http://www.iteksoft.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=1&page=1&POSTNUKESID=4c00bee1f56b4bcf4125b17bc9f15611

It just works like a printer so you print docs / web pages / whatever to the eDocPrinter and it spits out a PDF file to whereever you want it on your hard drive. Its easy and it works pretty well; we use it at work.