Asian Bestiary- Opinions?

Tclynch

Re: Asian Bestiary- Opinions?

Imminently usable with Pulp Hero (I will be doing do this coming weekend in fact).

There are, of course, creatures that don't make a lot of sense to stack up against a group of Pulp Heroes as adversaries, either due to more-or-less benevalent natures or power sets that would make any fight short-lived for the heroes without the introduction of serious military hardware (if even then in some cases), but that's to be expected.

A must, however, is going to be a PC/NPC in the game that has the appropriate Knowledge Skills to tell everyone when to run. :)

I'm thinking about getting both books and have been looking for reviews/ opinions. Usable with PulpHero? Also' date=' I'm big on asian RPGs in general (Sengoku, anyone?).:confused:[/quote']

I'll be able to let you know in about a week (I just ordered both of them from Hero about an hour ago).

I'm thinking about getting both books and have been looking for reviews/ opinions. Usable with PulpHero? Also' date=' I'm big on asian RPGs in general (Sengoku, anyone?).:confused:[/quote']

I can think of a half-dozen entries that would work for Pulp-era adventures -- the Athool of Indonesia (giant bat), the Buru of India (really big lizard), the Ye-teh of Tibet (a.k.a. yeti), a number of "hairy bipeds" (a.k.a. apemen/Bigfoot), and so on.

As for Sengoku -- there's around 30 Japanese entries to have fun with.

If you'd be interested in Sengoku for HERO, click on the link in my signature and then scroll down to the SENGOKU listing. I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

Speaking of...Susano' date=' do you have any idea why the Celestial Stag has that name? There's very little about it that suggests the sky or a deer...[/quote']

Not a clue.

Speaking of...Susano' date=' do you have any idea why the Celestial Stag has that name? There's very little about it that suggests the sky or a deer...[/quote']

I don't remember the ghost story in question very well (haven't read it since college) but I think "Celestial" here is used in the sense of supernatural, "stag" to suggest elusive, desireable, and somewhat dangerous. As a miner, you hope to catch the stag to extort valuable information, and yet it is both difficult and dangerous to chase and corner.

Or, I may be totally wrong. That's folktales for you.