Catch the punch?

Demonsong

Catch the punch?

We have all seen it in the movies, some low life tries to punch the hero and the hero actually catches the punch. Block wouldn’t work because you didn’t actually catch the punch.

So how do you do this?

Is there a maneuver for this in the Ultimate Martial Artist? Yet another reason to buy the book.

Thanks

Re: Catch the punch?

Originally posted by Demonsong

Catch the punch? ... Block wouldn’t work because you didn’t actually catch the punch.

Perhaps I'm just confused today (not enough sleep), but why wouldn't Block work? The game effects seem to match up quite well. Or do you actually want a "block and grab" maneuver? I think you can do that in UMA, but I haven't tried, myself.

Re: Catch the punch?

Originally posted by Demonsong

Is there a maneuver for this in the Ultimate Martial Artist?

Yes. (Sort of. ;)) There's no pre-built maneuver with Block and Grab (which is presumably what you'd want for this effect). But there are rules for designing such a maneuver. Run out and buy it! ;)

I think 'catching the punch" is just a special effect of a Block. There might be a penalty (-2 seems about right), then it's a STR vs STR roll, or maybe a DC vs DC. (More d6 would just punch through the attempted catch.)

It would be hard for supers to do this to each other, but it's a great trick to pull fighting agents or normals (Say the street gang that foolishly decides to hassle your out-of-costume martial artist or brick.). If successful I'd give a bonus to a PRE attack for this. I allow stuff like this to remind heroes of why they are super.

Originally posted by Trebuchet

I think 'catching the punch" is just a special effect of a Block.

I think the idea is that Demonsong wants the Blocker to still retain hold of the attacker's hand so the attacker can't use it again without breaking free. That part requires a Grab. If you just want it to look cool without keeping hold of the attacker, then I agree it's just a special effect for Block. :)

Thats a typical "Tough Guy" maneuver.

I would definately let someone try it if they wanted to do it in my game.

How would I handle it?

Simple: Using the Sweep rules.

-2OCV to block, then a to hit roll (or rather, to Grab roll) also at -2OCV. If successful, the opponents fist has been grabbed.

I might even allow someone to Abort to this move, but I wouldn't let them start squeezing for damage until their next action phase comes up...

Buy Grappling Block from UMA. Hold action until you're attacked (since Grappling Block doesn't contain an abort maneuver), Block his attack and grab a limb using your maneuver. It just happens that the limb you're grabbing is the guy's fist.

If you don't have Grappling Block, NSGs sweep idea seems about right to me.

D