Pulp A-team

Alverant

I'm trying to figure out how to do the A-team in Hero. Pulp seems like the best genre considering how the show worked. My big problem is how to treat guns. The A-team didn't kill people, they shot at people. Would this be a PRE attack or some varient on STUN where the bad guys surrender when their damage ran out?

Re: Pulp A-team

Maybe a campaign rule that guns used on living targets don't do any body? They just ping off of nearby objects or kick up dust on the ground, when at zero stun the person has surrendered or run into a wall trying to get away.

Tied into the rule that no one is seriously injured by car crashes, including those that involve flattened or exploded cars. :D

You could make it campaign rule that instead of being Knocked Out below 0 STUN and dying below 0 BODY, characters Give Up below 0 STUN and are Knocked Out below 0 BODY. To avoid irking your players, PCs might have the option to choose not to Give Up when dropped below 0 STUN, and can only be captured if they're Knocked Out by going below 0 BODY.

That way, you don't have to change any of the mechanics of guns and such. You can still have a gun be 2d6 RKA or whatever... it's just that now that bullet will be working towards making them Give Up or be Knocked Out, instead of Knocked Out or Killed. :)

You could make it campaign rule that instead of being Knocked Out below 0 STUN and dying below 0 BODY, characters Give Up below 0 STUN and are Knocked Out below 0 BODY. To avoid irking your players, PCs might have the option to choose not to Give Up when dropped below 0 STUN, and can only be captured if they're Knocked Out by going below 0 BODY.

That way, you don't have to change any of the mechanics of guns and such. You can still have a gun be 2d6 RKA or whatever... it's just that now that bullet will be working towards making them Give Up or be Knocked Out, instead of Knocked Out or Killed. :)

That's an excellent idea!

Thanks, and REPPED! :thumbup:

I'm trying to figure out how to do the A-team in Hero. Pulp seems like the best genre considering how the show worked. My big problem is how to treat guns. The A-team didn't kill people' date=' they shot at people. Would this be a PRE attack or some varient on STUN where the bad guys surrender when their damage ran out?[/quote']

Yes, definately pulp. I have a question that you prolly have considered, but I would like to know how you will handle it.

"What do we do with the prisoners?" Hero is designed to knock an opponent out, not kill them, in line with its Champions origin. In Fantasy Hero the rules suggest that any extras simply die so that heroes don't have the unheroic task of executing unconsious orcs, bandits, etc.

Say your A Team takes out the generic band of toughs. Now what? Leave them tied up and hope you've put enough distance behind you when The Forces of Law & Order show up?

Midas

I always got the impression that the defeated enemies of the A-Team just gave up and ran off to join a monastery or something. ;) OTOH the team was itself ongoingly pursued by the Forces of Law and Order, who usually showed up just after they split. So you can assume that their pursuers handle the mopup.

I always got the impression that the defeated enemies of the A-Team just gave up and ran off to join a monastery or something. ;) OTOH the team was itself ongoingly pursued by the Forces of Law and Order' date=' who usually showed up just after they split. So you can assume that their pursuers handle the mopup.[/quote']

Also, I always got the impression that rather then being unable to hit anything they were conciously making an effort NOT to kill thier opponents. Much easier to get people to listen to your pleas of innocence if you don't have a bunch of murder/manslaughter charges against you after all.

I might just play with that mechanism, Derek, and see how it works in action. I have hopes for this.:thumbup:

Hi. I'm new around here, but I have been playing around with the A-Team as pulp for a while. None of the others in my group are A-Team fans, so I've never used any of these ideas.

The truth is, guns do kill in the A-Team universe. All four of the major characters got seriously injured during the series and toward the end they had killed off General Fulbright, and a couple of the bad guys in “The Spy Who Mugged Me” (well, the bad guys got them).

The Team just didn’t want to kill. I would handle it with A Heroic Talent all their own. Say a +20 presence only for convincing the villains to give up , with bonuses for explosions and cool looking contraptions. Maybe give a bonus when all four are working together., Most of the slime balls would be average anyway, so it wouldn’t take much Give the baddies some luck, only for escaping death Skill levels against inanimate objects could work for those tire blowing, flip three times and land on the hood moments.. Just make sure the players know not to shoot to kill and you should be fine.

It’s not the mechanics that makes pulp, it’s the attitude.

Code vs killing.

Strong in PCs (either for heroic reasons or enlightened self interest), Common in villians. A villian might shoot someone, but only if they *really* needed to. The A Team would beat a tactical retreat before they started shooting to kill. Then next time they would lead with a really violent presense attack (blowing up a few barrels of gasoline outside the badguys hideout for example), to remind everybody that it doesn't need to accellerate to fatalities.

Or you could just take the "reluctance to kill" rule and apply it strongly.

Midas