Let's Play "The Naming Game"

JmOz

Re: Let's Play "The Naming Game"

Cool a little less than two days and 20 posts, cool.

Okay, next character I am working on is a superstrong, super fast, super tough, flyer, main focus is his speed. Basicaly I see him being a college kid, kind of a slacker until he gets his powers (Will also take ideas on how he got his powers, no mutants please). Disads like Novice Hero, underconfident, etc...

Working Name: Rocket

Origin? Hmmm... comes from planet Krypton.... oh, sorry. :D Always get that image with superstrong, supertough flying guys. Hmmm... I'll leave that to others. I'll try names...

1. Sonic Boom (had to throw in the obvious)

2. Scramjet

3. Bullet

4. Mach (insert number if wanted)

5. Magnum (more indicative of strength, etc.)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, next character I am working on is a superstrong, super fast, super tough, flyer, main focus is his speed. Basicaly I see him being a college kid, kind of a slacker until he gets his powers (Will also take ideas on how he got his powers, no mutants please). Disads like Novice Hero, underconfident, etc...

Blockbuster, Powerhouse, Jetstream, Capt. Lightning, Kid Thunder, Omega Man, Renegade, Maverick,

Okay, I'll join in. I'm creating a team of supervillain rejects, called Vermin. One of the members, a near-indestructible brick, looks like a giant cockroach. I could just go with Cockroach, but maybe somebody has something better?

Samsa - It sounds kind of like Samson, a good name for a brick, but it is in fact a reference to a Karka novel in which the protagonist turns into a giant cockroach.

Samsa - It sounds kind of like Samson' date=' a good name for a brick, but it is in fact a reference to a Karka novel in which the protagonist turns into a giant cockroach.[/quote']

oooh... good one, excellent reference. Nice. =)

Hm.

College kid, eh? Lots of possibilities:

Mathematic/Scientific origin or interests:

(Eigen) Vector

Computer Gamer:

Rush, Blitz (both terms from Real-Time Strategy games to denote "fast attack")

Excessively L33t Gamer:

R0xx0r (works even better if his nemesis/Hunted is named "H4xx0r")

Someone who is a little naive about how names can be interpreted:

"The Streak"

Electrical Special Effects:

(the) Charge, Sparks

Just some possibilities

Hm.

College kid, eh? Lots of possibilities:

Mathematic/Scientific origin or interests:

(Eigen) Vector

Computer Gamer:

Rush, Blitz (both terms from Real-Time Strategy games to denote "fast attack")

Excessively L33t Gamer:

R0xx0r (works even better if his nemesis/Hunted is named "H4xx0r")

Someone who is a little naive about how names can be interpreted:

"The Streak"

Electrical Special Effects:

(the) Charge, Sparks

Just some possibilities

Some good sugestions, I see him as kind of a likable jock, crush on a nerdy archeology major (DNPC, lots of "Mystical Accidents"). Smart but under acheiver...

• 4 years later...

I need a name for a female gadgeteer in her early 40s. When she started as superhero in her late teens she was Gadget Girl. Once she got older and no longer felt so girly, she changed her name to TKO. Recently she has had to come to terms with the fact that she is no longer really a knock out. Rather than spend countless hours doing pilates and getting plastic surgery to tighten her face, she has decided to change her name. Suggestions?

She could kind of go back to her youth, at least in spirit, and call herself Gadget Woman.

Or, for a more modern twist, Elegance (elegance is often a goal in technical design, and women who have "graduated" from being simple physical knockouts very often gain that as a personal quality).

Actually, I pictured her putting on a bit a of weight (hence the need for pilates) and getting slightly frumpy as the formerly voluptuous sometimes do. Still, Elegance is a first rate name for a female gadgeteer and might be worth altering my mental picture for. I'm going to need think about it and see if I can come up with more "elegant" foci than the boot jets and wrist rockets that I envisioned her possessing.

Actually' date=' I pictured her putting on a bit a of weight (hence the need for pilates) and getting slightly frumpy as the formerly voluptuous sometimes do. Still, Elegance is a first rate name for a female gadgeteer and might be worth altering my mental picture for. I'm going to need think about it and see if I can come up with more "elegant" foci than the boot jets and wrist rockets that I envisioned her possessing.[/quote']She could still be a tad overweight, but dress in a manner that reflects a sense of elegance. (Though if she's been active in the Superhero World all this time, she's probably not that much overweight unless she's had bad dietary habits.)

She could still be a tad overweight' date=' but dress in a manner that reflects a sense of elegance. (Though if she's been active in the Superhero World all this time, she's probably not that much overweight unless she's had bad dietary habits.)[/quote']

She is active but not as much as when she was younger. Nowadays she spends more time in the lab than making the scene, showing up mostly for major crises and at the request of friends.

• 3 weeks later...

I need a name for a female gadgeteer in her early 40s. When she started as superhero in her late teens she was Gadget Girl. Once she got older and no longer felt so girly' date=' she changed her name to TKO. Recently she has had to come to terms with the fact that she is no longer really a knock out. Rather than spend countless hours doing pilates and getting plastic surgery to tighten her face, she has decided to change her name. Suggestions?[/quote']

Maybe EisenSage? what kind of gadgeteer is she?

Okay, I'll join in. I'm creating a team of supervillain rejects, called Vermin. One of the members, a near-indestructible brick, looks like a giant cockroach. I could just go with Cockroach, but maybe somebody has something better?

Also, a gadgeteer with tunneling, working name is Mole but that's so plain.

1. KnockRoach or something even lamer as Rock n' Roach

2. Mole-ester.. :hush: or "Under-Way"

Maybe EisenSage?

Hacksaw? She is not really that hardcore, and anyway she is of Russian not German descent.

what kind of gadgeteer is she?

Reasonable question. I pictured her with boot jets, bullet and energy weapon resistant costume, wrist minirockets that can go around corners, electronic countermeasures to radar and holograms to sight, and remote control over machines through her own patented universal interface. None of these abilities are set in stone at this point though.